Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Sky has not been contacted by AFA and BSU
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

I Root For: Southern Miss
Big Sky has not been contacted by AFA and BSU
http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/11...ld_broncos

Quote:Big Sky Commissioner Doug Fullerton said Wednesday night that Boise State and Air Force have not contacted the conference about housing its non-football teams.

"We have not heard from them. We'd be happy to talk to them," Fullerton said. "Things are happening so quickly, we're going to wait and see what happens."
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2011 10:43 PM by BeagleUSM.)
11-02-2011 10:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

RE: Big West has not been contacted by AFA and BSU
(11-02-2011 10:23 PM)Beagleagle23 Wrote:  http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/11...z1cbo2TDwm

Quote:Big Sky Commissioner Doug Fullerton said Wednesday night that Boise State and Air Force have not contacted the conference about housing its non-football teams.

"We have not heard from them. We'd be happy to talk to them," Fullerton said. "Things are happening so quickly, we're going to wait and see what happens."

1. The link doesn't work

2. Is it the Big West or the Big Sky? Your title conflicts with the quote.
11-02-2011 10:33 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

RE: Big Sky has not been contacted by AFA and BSU
(11-02-2011 10:33 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(11-02-2011 10:23 PM)Beagleagle23 Wrote:  http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/11...z1cbo2TDwm

1. The link doesn't work

2. Is it the Big West or the Big Sky? Your title conflicts with the quote.

Thanks HP. Got the title changed.

Link still isn't working...03-banghead
11-02-2011 10:42 PM
ECMAN79 Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
It's just an update to an earlier story where the writer listed the possible homes for Boise's other sports.

http://tinyurl.com/63ak4d7
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2011 10:52 PM by ECMAN79.)
11-02-2011 10:51 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
I wonder if the Idaho Board of Education will expect Kustra to have lined up a new home for BSU non-football sports before accepting the Big East invitation. Or, will they just authorize him to "do whatever is best for BSU athletics" thereby allowing him to accept the Big East invitation first and then go out and deal with the non-football sports problem. Should be interesting.
11-02-2011 11:10 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Does anyone seriously believe that Boise State and Air Force are going to get hung up at the last minute because they won't be able to find a home for their other sports? I mean is that really a consideration for some of you?

Come on, guys. It's over, let it go.

The entire system is based on greed and media attractiveness and when those are the rules of engagement money always carries the day. That is how the Big East lost Pitt and Syracuse to the ACC and TCU and West Virginia to the B12 and why the Big East was always going to get just about whomever it wanted out of the non-AQ's. The BE even whiffed on two of its targets - Army and BYU - and it STILL came out smelling like a rose.

Boise State and Air Force are each making just over $1.4 million per year on their current TV contract in the MWC and industry experts are going on record saying that by jumping to the Big East they conservatively stand to make AT LEAST 10 times that money EVERY SINGLE YEAR! Are you really trying to tell me that they are somehow going to turn down all of that extra money because of burdensome travel? Is anyone seriously suggesting that they aren't going to be able to buy their way into one of those small western leagues like the Big West Conference, West Coast Conference, Big Sky Conference, Western Athletic Conference, etc.?

I mean how hard would it be for Boise to simply agree to play a few WAC teams each year in its non conference in exchange for a permanent home for the rest of its sports? That and a few million dollars to buy their way in and just like that, Voila! Done!

What did that take, like 10 seconds to come up with? Boise State hasn't contacted anyone yet because they know they have options and for whatever reason they don't want to tip their hand to anyone just yet. Air Force is in pretty much the same boat - assuming Navy joins of course. We'll know soon enough though as the Broncos have to declare their intentions by no later than Dec. 4 for their BCS points to count for their new league. That means this will all FINALLY come to a head very soon.

It just seems beyond insane to me to think this is somehow going to come unglued at the last second over women's tennis or even men's basketball. However if I have learned nothing else in this dialogue over the past several months it is that logic often has no place here. Instead it is all about what some of you hope happens and everything else is a gawddamn conspiracy and another example of East Coast bias.

It is at times surreal the lengths people will go to trying to make their square pegs fit into decidedly round holes.

It is over and frankly it was never really in doubt.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2011 11:22 PM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
11-02-2011 11:14 PM
Advertisement

sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
Unless somebody else is paying the exit fee, I can't see them accepting w/o some assurances of a home for the other sports.
11-02-2011 11:16 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(11-02-2011 11:14 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  Boise State and Air Force are each making just over $1.4 million per year on their current TV contract in the MWC and industry experts are going on record saying that by jumping to the Big East they conservatively stand to make AT LEAST 10 times that money EVERY SINGLE YEAR!

Not that much. Perhaps the all-sports schools will make that much if the BE negotiates well, but Boise and AFA will not be all-sports members, so the only way BSU and AFA will make that much from the Big East is if the football portion of the TV contract is at least $14 million x 12 = $168 million.
11-02-2011 11:18 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(11-02-2011 11:14 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  Does anyone seriously believe that Boise State and Air Force are going to get hung up at the last minute because they won't be able to find a home for their other sports? I mean is that really a consideration for some of you?

Come on, guys. It's over. Let it go.

The entire system is based on greed and when those are the rules of engagement money always carries the day. That is how the Big East lost Pitt and Syracuse to the ACC and TCU and West Virginia to the B12 and why the Big East was always going to get just about whomever it wanted out of the non-AQ's. The BE even whiffed on two of its targets - Army and BYU - and it STILL came out smelling like a rose.

Boise State and Air Force are each making just over $1.4 million per year on their current TV contract in the MWC and industry experts are going on record saying that by jumping to the Big East they conservatively stand to make AT LEAST 10 times that money EVERY SINGLE YEAR! Are you really trying to tell me that they are somehow going to turn down all of that extra money because of burdensome travel? Is anyone seriously suggesting that they aren't going to be able to buy their way into one of those small western leagues like the Big West Conference, West Coast Conference, Big Sky Conference, Western Athletic Conference, etc.?

I mean how hard would it be for Boise to simply agree to play a few WAC teams each year in its non conference in exchange for a permanent home for the rest of its sports? That and a few million dollars to buy their way in and just like that, Voila! Done!

It just seems beyond insane to me to think this is somehow going to come unglued at the least second over women's tennis or even men's basketball. However if I have learned nothing else in this dialogue over the past several months it is that logic often has no place here. Instead it is all about what some of you hope happens and everything else is a gawddamn conspiracy and another example of East Coast bias.

It is at times surreal the lengths people will go to trying to make their square pegs fit into decidedly round holes.

I didn't say it's not over. I said seeing how the process unfolds should be interesting. I have no more doubt about the final outcome than you do.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2011 11:21 PM by HawaiiMongoose.)
11-02-2011 11:20 PM
UCF-ENG Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
I think that Boise and AF are stuck in a chicken and egg scenario with the WAC.

The WAC presidents don't want to take Boises other sports cause they know it will lead to their conference getting raided by the MWC.

And Boise and AF don't want to leave until the WAC takes their other sports.

HOWEVER, I think that both programs are smart enough to call the WACs bluff. They know that if they go ahead and join the Big East anyways then the MWC conference is going to respond by raiding the WAC, and the WAC will then capitulate and add Boise and AF as non-FB members. Boise will call the WACs bluff.
11-02-2011 11:30 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I could see the wcc take in afa but doubt they take in boise. Boise should try to get North Dakota to go where it belongs, the summit and take their spot in the big sky
11-03-2011 10:13 AM
Advertisement

Inigo Offline
You killed my father. Prepare to die.

I Root For: UCF Knights
It is odd if Boise hasn't contacted the Big Sky. Seems like that would be the most natural fit for their other sports.
11-03-2011 10:29 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(11-02-2011 11:14 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  Does anyone seriously believe that Boise State and Air Force are going to get hung up at the last minute because they won't be able to find a home for their other sports? I mean is that really a consideration for some of you?

Come on, guys. It's over, let it go.

The entire system is based on greed and media attractiveness and when those are the rules of engagement money always carries the day. That is how the Big East lost Pitt and Syracuse to the ACC and TCU and West Virginia to the B12 and why the Big East was always going to get just about whomever it wanted out of the non-AQ's. The BE even whiffed on two of its targets - Army and BYU - and it STILL came out smelling like a rose.

What did that take, like 10 seconds to come up with? Boise State hasn't contacted anyone yet because they know they have options and for whatever reason they don't want to tip their hand to anyone just yet. Air Force is in pretty much the same boat - assuming Navy joins of course. We'll know soon enough though as the Broncos have to declare their intentions by no later than Dec. 4 for their BCS points to count for their new league. That means this will all FINALLY come to a head very soon.

It just seems beyond insane to me to think this is somehow going to come unglued at the last second over women's tennis or even men's basketball. However if I have learned nothing else in this dialogue over the past several months it is that logic often has no place here. Instead it is all about what some of you hope happens and everything else is a gawddamn conspiracy and another example of East Coast bias.

I agree. The question is now how BIG is the BE going to be and who is next?
11-03-2011 11:13 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(11-03-2011 10:29 AM)Inigo Wrote:  It is odd if Boise hasn't contacted the Big Sky. Seems like that would be the most natural fit for their other sports.

It is being reported out west that Boise is playing a waiting game and doing their due diligence before making a commitment. They want to see what the SA's are going to do first and are trying to ascertain if the BE will be strong enough with BSU in it to remain AQ. They are in no hurry because they know they hold the cards.
11-03-2011 11:19 AM
Eagleweiser Offline
1st String

That can't be true, there is supposed to be a Big Announcement party in Providence tomorrow with Boise, UCF, Houston and SMU in attendance
11-03-2011 11:22 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Folks, all 6 are NOT going to be invited tomorrow. Maybe 3 but not 6
11-03-2011 11:34 AM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
Someone should ask the WCC if they have been contacted...That is likely where they would go anyway.
11-03-2011 12:08 PM
Eagleweiser Offline
1st String

WCC is the only hope to move Olympic to a decent conference, but probably the least likely to agree to such
11-03-2011 12:11 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(11-03-2011 12:11 PM)Eagleweiser Wrote:  WCC is the only hope to move Olympic to a decent conference, but probably the least likely to agree to such

BYU will help if both go to the BE.
11-03-2011 12:14 PM
Eagleweiser Offline
1st String

I think BYU likes being an Indy, honestly.
11-03-2011 12:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.