UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB students are ready for change
lilbiggreen Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UAB
UAB students are ready for change
To all BlazerTalk members:

I have never seen this forum before, but I am moved by the passion that I have seen in a few threads about UAB's current issues with the UA school system's board of trustees. For all of you that may be wondering if the student body is getting involved, we are. I have seen an impressive response in a matter of hours with the current students and recent alum of UAB, and we are ready to fight for UAB and for its betterment.

My father and brother are UAB alum, and I will be a UAB alum in just over a year. I have come to posses a passion for this university that is compelling me to take any and all action necessary to ensure that UAB gets what it deserves.

I am asking for all those who care about the blazers to rise up and contribute everything that they can. We will need legal advice, media coverage, financial contributions, government support, etc. The recent actions by the board of trustees has sparked a flame, and it will take every ounce of support we can muster to grow that flame into a wildfire that cannot be ignored.

My main concern is for a unified and organized effort. Who are the leaders of this movement and how is everything being organized? Many separated voices can catch someone's ear, but all those voices unified can change the world. I am more than willing to help spearhead the student involvement and effort into one group, and I would love to have the help of the members of this forum. I am currently a member of the Greek community at UAB (Delta Sigma Phi fraternity), and the Greeks are fired up and ready to pounce. The Greek community is heavily involved on campus, and many are in positions that will have a great impact. I am also working on compiling facts and data that will help support many points of our cause.

I am coming to all of you and asking that you pitch in. The students are here and ready to go, but we do not posses the resources that many of you do. Please let me know what is being done to organize this effort and what we need to do to make sure that our "flame" is not extinguished.

Please contact me and let me know if there is ANYTHING that I can do. As a student, I feel there is a lot that needs to be done, and we can show them that there is a great student support.

I am tired of being a student at a university that is being held captive by a group of people that do not wish for our success. It is high time that the students, faculty, alum, and this state stand up and do what is right. It is time that we, the people of Alabama, make sure that UAB not only reaches its potential, but that UAB is given all the opportunities that it so desperately deserves.
11-02-2011 05:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: UAB students are ready for change
Welcome aboard.

Be on the bus to Tuscalousy.
11-02-2011 06:55 AM
lilbiggreen Offline
Water Engineer

Oh ill be on that bus, and so will as many people that I can drag on it.
11-02-2011 06:56 AM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
Excellent post! Bienvenue! I agree that our efforts have to be concerted. The first step is to get everyone we physically can on the bus tomorrow.
11-02-2011 07:26 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Welcome.

It is great to see students that have the same passion for the university and have a similar vision as a lot of the people who post here.

Continue to keep us up to date in anything that your feel is important.

There are enough people here in different areas of business that can and will assist.
11-02-2011 08:09 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
WARM UP THE BUS!
11-02-2011 08:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Second step: Be at the damn game on Saturday, and every other time the gates are open for the Blazers at Legion Field, Bartow, the West Campus Field, baseball, softball, Vestavia Bowl.

One of the excuses the BoT listed for killing this project was lack of student commitment. That's one leg you can kick out from under the bastages right now.
11-02-2011 08:16 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Yea, how is that protesting the coach working out gang? Don't look at me either, I have been to every game.
11-02-2011 08:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UABBandMom Offline
Water Engineer

If UAB students are ready for a change - make a statement. I know this is homecoming week - but it would tickle me pink (ok - green & gold) to see signs on every float in support of the OCS and demanding answers from the BOT.

Just a reminder to the band alumni & current members - without a football team many of you would not have had the opportunity to be a member of the Marching Blazers or even a part of this organization because it wouldn't exist. Come on musician's UNITE behind your fellow blazers and be heard! Write those letters, make those phone calls and be seen & heard.
11-02-2011 08:18 AM
lilbiggreen Offline
Water Engineer

Ill see what I can do about the floats. The Greeks attend every game and we will start making a push for more students to attend as well, but that is going to be a tough battle. Anyone feel free to stop by the Delta Sigma Phi tent. Just ask for tiny tim and we can shake hands and discuss our overthrow of PBJ.
11-02-2011 08:21 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

(11-02-2011 08:17 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Yea, how is that protesting the coach working out gang? Don't look at me either, I have been to every game.

As well as I have.

No need for me to discuss how I feel about a certain coach, but what the heck.

For once in his life, it is time for Callaway to man up on this. We all know how & why he got the job.

Callaway, if the BOT is holding you back on what you wish to accomplish, speak the hell up man.

You might be surprised at the support that you would receive if you would just take a damn stand.

If a stand on something isn't taken, the ride is over.

It seems to me like PBJ is stabbing you in the back on what he may have promised you. STAND UP!
11-02-2011 08:24 AM
Advertisement

BigJessT Offline
2nd String

(11-02-2011 08:18 AM)UABBandMom Wrote:  Just a reminder to the band alumni & current members - without a football team many of you would not have had the opportunity to be a member of the Marching Blazers or even a part of this organization because it wouldn't exist. Come on musician's UNITE behind your fellow blazers and be heard! Write those letters, make those phone calls and be seen & heard.

One of my first thoughts. Without the Marching Blazers I would not have come to UAB. And my life would be worse because of it...

If the BoT can so easily table the OCS talks, what says they can't end UAB Football or move it out of D-1A as easily... watching the news reports last night on a post here shows that they will take anything the BoT says as truth.

(11-02-2011 08:21 AM)lilbiggreen Wrote:  The Greeks attend every game and we will start making a push for more students to attend as well, but that is going to be a tough battle.

Stay the whole game. Yes the coaching may suck, but stay the whole game. Starting now. Also, forget UAT-LSU. We are 1-0 against LSU in football and UAT has never played us. Their seasons have no impact on use, and we should not care about them.
11-02-2011 10:55 AM
ndjs22 Offline
2nd String

(11-02-2011 10:55 AM)BigJessT Wrote:  
(11-02-2011 08:21 AM)lilbiggreen Wrote:  The Greeks attend every game and we will start making a push for more students to attend as well, but that is going to be a tough battle.

Stay the whole game. Yes the coaching may suck, but stay the whole game. Starting now. Also, forget UAT-LSU. We are 1-0 against LSU in football and UAT has never played us. Their seasons have no impact on use, and we should not care about them.

I'm a UAB fan first and foremost, but am definitely an LSU fan as well. I'll be in Birmingham Saturday. I've been to plenty of games at Bryant-Denny. Never again will I set foot on that campus if I can help it. It's not going to be an overnight thing to suddenly have the stands fill up and stay filled for a full game. The Greeks are a huge reason there are even any students at these games who aren't on the field or in the band. We're working, and we're going to keep trying. I'm in the same fraternity as lilbiggreen, and I can tell you that our private forum has rivaled BlazerTalk in fury over the past day or two. We're pissed, and we're doing everything we can to let that be known and change things.
11-02-2011 11:08 AM
ICB Offline
Heisman

(11-02-2011 08:17 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Yea, how is that protesting the coach working out gang? Don't look at me either, I have been to every game.
I thought we were weren't pointing fingers?
11-02-2011 11:45 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

oops sorry, I have taken a beating but that comes with the territory. Sometimes I slip.....
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2011 11:48 AM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
11-02-2011 11:47 AM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
(11-02-2011 08:15 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  WARM UP THE BUS!

Why does this remind me of "fire up the tractors"?
11-02-2011 11:47 AM
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

LOL thought of that.
11-02-2011 11:53 AM
the Dragon Offline
Heisman

(11-02-2011 11:08 AM)ndjs22 Wrote:  We're pissed, and we're doing everything we can to let that be known and change things.

04-rock

The positive of this whole thing is that we are more united than ever. Now, DON'T LET UP!!!!
11-02-2011 03:28 PM
blazerfrombirth Offline
Special Teams

Has anyone distributed any "Free UAB" or related flyers and posters all over campus? They will get taken down eventually, but it will take a while for them ALL to be removed.
11-02-2011 03:32 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

When I was at UAB, it took forever for them to remove the babysitting services flyers etc.

The slogan may need to be #FreeUAB although I haven't checked out the twitter account associated with that.

I'll check it out later.
11-02-2011 03:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.