Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
What do Memphis fans...................
Yuleofell Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

really think about the Big East?

P.S. You would never find a thread like this on ECU's boneayrd.

<a href='http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/memphis/invision/index.php?act=ST&f=10&t=30058' target='_blank'>http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/memphis/invi...ST&f=10&t=30058</a>
05-25-2005 01:53 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

I've seen similar threads on WV & Cuse boards over the past few months.

It's the unknown about the future that most people talked about.

KL
05-25-2005 02:02 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed

Yuleofell Wrote:really think about the Big East?

<a href='http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/memphis/invision/index.php?act=ST&f=10&t=30058' target='_blank'>http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/memphis/invi...ST&f=10&t=30058</a>
1. I'm not really sure what you are getting at.

2. Why do you care what Memphis fans think?

3. Before you answer, "I don't care.", it is obvious that you do care since you went to the trouble of a) looking on the Memphis message board, b) reading the posts and c)posting a link over here.
05-25-2005 02:23 PM
Bambu Offline
Starving Artist

I Root For: Memphis

Shame on those Tigers for not waiting by the phone.

:rolleyes:
05-25-2005 02:31 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

3601 Wrote:

1. I'm not really sure what you are getting at.

3. Before you answer, "I don't care.", it is obvious that you do care since you went to the trouble of a) looking on the Memphis message board, b) reading the posts and c)posting a link over here.
I like to call it jealousy and being blind to reality. Rutgers does bring things, Cincy brings things, USF brings things. Rutgers and USF are probably the two most likely to breakout programs in the country next year. The Big East is certainly still a major conference, our schools have more tradition, history, and name recognition than anyone in CUSA sans for Memphis and maybe Rice. We're also stronger top to bottom hell the latest numbers put us only behind the Big 12, the SEC, and the ACC.
05-25-2005 02:36 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

I certainly dont care what memphis fans think about the BE. the fact is, is that if they were invited to the league instead of USF or Cincy, they would not have that thread. Its not like the BE picture would improve much, if at all, if they were in the BE instead of 1 of the other schools.

We all know that they would love to be in the BE.
I got a pretty good laugh off of a couple of fans who said that they were comparable to the BE, and that the BE, CUSA and MWC are all a step behind the SEC and other bcs leagues. 03-confused

Well we are all behind the other leagues, but the BE is closer to the other bcs leagues than the MWC, which in turn is closer to the other bcs leagues than CUSA. I think the WAC plays better fb than CUSA. The MAC would give them a run for the money as well.
05-25-2005 02:48 PM
Advertisement

Yuleofell Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

[QUOTE] 1. I'm not really sure what you are getting at.

1) What am I getting at?

Most of the posts on this and other boards deal with future Big East expansion and the most likely candidates should a "split" occur. Memphis' name is frequently mentioned as a likely candidate. The attitude of the fans should be considered one of the prime qualifications in my book.

2) See number 1

3) I have never said I do not care for Memphis as a university.

I understand resentment and jealousy on the behalf of Memphis fans. I know they feel they were "passed over" by what they feel was an "inferior" program like USF in particular. I know they hate the "Ville" with a passion now and this befuddles their thinking.

I do not understand why they want to be Big East bashers. You would think they would at least take a neutral position on the Big East. We worked hard to be included into the "new" Big East. Virtually the whole Ul fan base supported and worked towards earning an invitation. I do not see any of this unity of purpose among Memphis fans. I do see a lot of it coming from ECU's fan base and to a lesser degree UCF's.
05-25-2005 02:51 PM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Memphis fans, like fans everywhere, don't all think alike. But if it's really true that you'll NEVER find a thread like that at the ECU Board, as you've said, that's OK. Every board has its own culture.

That said, I seriously doubt the Memphis thread you found and posted here is representative of what most Memphis fans or the administration wants.
05-25-2005 02:55 PM
Bambu Offline
Starving Artist

I Root For: Memphis

Yuleofell Wrote:The attitude of the (INTERNET) fans should be considered one of the prime qualifications in my book.
Now that is truly the dumbest thing I have ever read on these boards.
05-25-2005 02:56 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Guys

This is predictable human nature at play.

Memphis is the least like Big East school in culture so I understand where they are coming from. If you are not part of a group (Big East in this case) it is understandable to bash it. Hell we bash BC and the ACC. I have seen some ECU threads bashing the Big East so I don't buy the totality of that statement--"they don't do it".

I don't know what'll happen but my $$$ sez Memphis, ECU or ECU will be the 9th member in the BE within 3-4 years.
05-25-2005 03:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

Quote:I got a pretty good laugh off of a couple of fans who said that they were comparable to the BE, and that the BE, CUSA and MWC are all a step behind the SEC and other bcs leagues.&nbsp;

Gray Avenger, a Memphis fan who ironically was on every message board in existence, pimping his school back when the Big East was considering who to add.
05-25-2005 04:00 PM
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

I love it, one Memphis fan posts something and a whole thread is put up here. That is like saying all Houston fans think like TopCoog.

The decision in a few years will come down to money. Not attitude, not geography, not anything else. Just money.
05-25-2005 05:22 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

fsquid Wrote:I love it, one Memphis fan posts something and a whole thread is put up here. That is like saying all Houston fans think like TopCoog.

The decision in a few years will come down to money. Not attitude, not geography, not anything else. Just money.
One fan may have posted it, but at least 4 or 5 other fans chimed in with their 2 cents of delusional negativity.
05-25-2005 05:55 PM
MHSCard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville/ND

I still hope Memphis has a great year in football and the Big East picks them up in at least football. We need a ninth team.
05-25-2005 06:26 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

cuseroc Wrote:
fsquid Wrote:I love it, one Memphis fan posts something and a whole thread is put up here.&nbsp; That is like saying all Houston fans think like TopCoog.&nbsp;

The decision in a few years will come down to money.&nbsp; Not attitude, not geography, not anything else.&nbsp; Just money.
One fan may have posted it, but at least 4 or 5 other fans chimed in with their 2 cents of delusional negativity.
Yet there are probably over 500 users that post on our board. So you are taking issue with what 1% says? Its a sore spot when two programs who've been D1 for only a few years get an 8 figure welfare check over a program that is slowly (and still) working very hard at getting the football side in order after the sport was almost abolished under the admin of the late 70s and the whole of the 80s.
05-25-2005 09:09 PM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

fsquid Wrote:Its a sore spot when two programs who've been D1 for only a few years get an 8 figure welfare check over a program that is slowly (and still) working very hard at getting the football side in order after the sport was almost abolished under the admin of the late 70s and the whole of the 80s.
Then I imagine it would have really chapped your a$$ if Villanova said yes to 1A football the same time UConn did, huh? :)
05-25-2005 09:29 PM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

Murph1 Wrote:
fsquid Wrote:Its a sore spot when two programs who've been D1 for only a few years get an 8 figure welfare check over a program that is slowly (and still) working very hard at getting the football side in order after the sport was almost abolished under the admin of the late 70s and the whole of the 80s.
Then I imagine it would have really chapped your a$$ if Villanova said yes to 1A football the same time UConn did, huh? :)
Not that they woulda had the right to at that point since Nova had been Big East for a very long time. But one must wonder.
05-26-2005 10:37 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

fsquid Wrote:
cuseroc Wrote:
fsquid Wrote:I love it, one Memphis fan posts something and a whole thread is put up here.&nbsp; That is like saying all Houston fans think like TopCoog.&nbsp;

The decision in a few years will come down to money.&nbsp; Not attitude, not geography, not anything else.&nbsp; Just money.
Yet there are probably over 500 users that post on our board. So you are taking issue with what 1% says? Its a sore spot when two programs who've been D1 for only a few years get an 8 figure welfare check over a program that is slowly (and still) working very hard at getting the football side in order after the sport was almost abolished under the admin of the late 70s and the whole of the 80s.
Yeah, the only poster that made an even almost positive post was you. Every other post was ridiculous.

It all sounds like sour grapes to me. But as I said before, I dont care what Memphis fans post on their boards as long as they leave that nonsense over there.
05-26-2005 11:23 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS

Murph1 Wrote:
Quote:I got a pretty good laugh off of a couple of fans who said that they were comparable to the BE, and that the BE, CUSA and MWC are all a step behind the SEC and other bcs leagues. 

Gray Avenger, a Memphis fan who ironically was on every message board in existence, pimping his school back when the Big East was considering who to add.
[QUOTE]
It is true, that as C-USA was being broken up by the hypocrite Mike Tranghese's (ok for him to do what he criticized the ACC for doing) raid, I made sure that Memphis was known among Big East fans by posting on message boards. However, at the time I did not know that the new C-USA would become a geographically-sensible 12-school, all-sports conference comprised of a blend of institutions having class, tradition, academic excellence, large media markets and championship potential in a large variety of sports. Nor did I know that the Big East would settle for the hodge-podge arrangement currently in effect. In short, I personally like the new C-USA better than your present Big East and look forward to seeing our new conference pass yours by in the coming years.
05-26-2005 12:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

Gray Avenger Wrote:[quote="Murph1"]
Quote:I got a pretty good laugh off of a couple of fans who said that they were comparable to the BE, and that the BE, CUSA and MWC are all a step behind the SEC and other bcs leagues.&nbsp;

Quote:*******************
It is true, that as C-USA was being broken up by the hypocrite Mike Tranghese's (ok for him to do what he criticized the ACC for doing) raid, I made sure that Memphis was known among Big East fans by posting on message boards. However, at the time I did not know that the new C-USA would become a geographically-sensible 12-school, all-sports conference comprised of a blend of institutions having class, tradition, academic excellence, large media markets and championship potential in a large variety of sports. Nor did I know that the Big East would settle for the hodge-podge arrangement currently in effect. In short, I personally like the new C-USA better than your present Big East and look forward to seeing our new conference pass yours by in the coming years.
Take your nonsense back to your own board where you can post with likeminded individuals.

Also, you should become a comedian with that bit about CUSA (9th rated conference in 2004 behind the Wac and Atlantic 10) surpassing the BE. :laugh:
05-26-2005 12:35 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.