Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A wrench in BE plans? Missouri to SEC
ottolite Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Temple
A wrench in BE plans? Missouri to SEC
Looks like Missouri is moving closer to joining the SEC. What does this mean for the BE?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/sports....html?_r=1
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2011 06:29 PM by ottolite.)
10-17-2011 06:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

lastchance82 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rutgers, BE
RE: A wrench in BE plans? Missouri to SEC
It means the vote to raise the exit fee will fail.
10-17-2011 06:32 PM
dogma Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USF
(10-17-2011 06:32 PM)lastchance82 Wrote:  It means the vote to raise the exit fee will fail.

Not necessarily
If WVU and Louis. are teh only ones to vote no (provided they along with BYU are the most likely departures) it can still pass if all other teams vote yes.
10-17-2011 06:51 PM
SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

I Root For: Louisville
Latest gossip continues to maintain the Louisville won't participate in the vote at all, but now that WVU will vote Yes. If this is true, it's all we need to know about what's going to happen next.
10-17-2011 06:53 PM
st932253 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Knights
Quick snap the ball! I mean vote for the increase!
10-17-2011 07:11 PM
ottolite Offline
Water Engineer

BE, always a minute to late.
10-17-2011 07:18 PM
Advertisement

Comet Offline
All American

I Root For: SMU
(10-17-2011 06:53 PM)SmallVoice Wrote:  Latest gossip continues to maintain the Louisville won't participate in the vote at all, but now that WVU will vote Yes. If this is true, it's all we need to know about what's going to happen next.
Which leads me to wonder, Louisville to B12 and that's it?
10-17-2011 07:19 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
(10-17-2011 06:53 PM)SmallVoice Wrote:  Latest gossip continues to maintain the Louisville won't participate in the vote at all, but now that WVU will vote Yes. If this is true, it's all we need to know about what's going to happen next.

UL and WVU supported the increase, at least before the news today

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.co...2/32791624

and it was a smart thing. If either school did not commit to expansion and the exit fees, it could possibly hold up the entire expansion process for the BE and open themselves up for lawsuits. An extra five million is a small price to pay for stability and keeping out of the lawsuits if the Big 12 does call

Jackson
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2011 07:51 PM by Jackson1011.)
10-17-2011 07:50 PM
Butterfly Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
Man, I hope BYU stays independent.
>:D
10-17-2011 07:57 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
The Big 12 prefers BYU over Louisville. Maybe BYU will work out the details with the Big 12. If not, Louisville is probably gone. That would hurt somewhat in FB and a lot in BB.

Then I guess we get either Temple or ECU ....
10-17-2011 08:03 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
i still think the BE should tell the FB 6 commit to the BE or get out NOW! Since the current B12 schools claim they're committed to each other for at least six years the BE should follow suit. This IMO would stop the B10 and ACC from expanding as well (since they are unlikely to want someone not in the "big 6". The SEC could stop at 14 with Missouri and the B12 if inclined could pursue BYU for the 10th team
Then when the P12 finally accepts some combo of the Texahoma schools, the shift can begin again (louisville would have a more accurate view of what they might be in for in the B12)
10-17-2011 08:18 PM
Advertisement

Slypenny Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC/UK/FSU/NKU
The length of time that Missouri has taken has only benefited BYU. Allowed them to asses and try to work out any details. Not sure it's a done deal, but has definitely helped their cause.
10-17-2011 08:20 PM
The Brown Bull Offline
usf97

I Root For: USF
Seems like the timing of the article is from someone hoping to mess up the BE plans. It sounds like they are hoping they can get BSU to have 2nd thoughts. There really isn't anything new here that most didn't already suspect.

How long was the TAMU move a done deal before it officially happened. Mizzou has to apply. Then get accepted. Then hope Baylor doesn't try to sue. Then the B12 has to decide if it wants to go to 10 or 12.

Sounds like a lot has to happen before the Big East gets expansion candidates.

The problem could be though it could hold up some AFA or BSU and surely Navy.

It doesn't look like UCF cares either way.
10-17-2011 08:27 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
(10-17-2011 08:03 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  The Big 12 prefers BYU over Louisville. Maybe BYU will work out the details with the Big 12.

I think you've nailed it. I believe that the Big XII will surprise everyone once again - as they did with TCU - and will reach an agreement with BYU and will then stop at 10.

I'm sure it will give the Big XII will take great satisfaction in sticking it to the Pac-12 by sticking a member right in the heart of their footprint, thereby reducing the value of the newly added Utah. That has to be more appealing than going head-to-head with the SEC in Kentucky.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2011 08:34 PM by Melky Cabrera.)
10-17-2011 08:33 PM
OwlsExaminer Offline
Banned

(10-17-2011 08:27 PM)The Brown Bull Wrote:  It sounds like they are hoping they can get BSU to have 2nd thoughts.

I doubt they will. Boise State just gave their coach a raise.

Quote:BryanDFischer Bryan Fischer
by McMurphyCBS
Boise State makes small tweaks to Chris Petersen's contract. With 2 more wins, he'll be guaranteed $2 million in 2016. bit.ly/olD1P5
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2011 08:36 PM by OwlsExaminer.)
10-17-2011 08:36 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(10-17-2011 08:33 PM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  
(10-17-2011 08:03 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  The Big 12 prefers BYU over Louisville. Maybe BYU will work out the details with the Big 12.

I think you've nailed it. I believe that the Big XII will surprise everyone once again - as they did with TCU - and will reach an agreement with BYU and will then stop at 10.

I'm sure it will give the Big XII will take great satisfaction in sticking it to the Pac-12 by sticking a member right in the heart of their footprint, thereby reducing the value of the newly added Utah. That has to be more appealing than going head-to-head with the SEC in Kentucky.

then hopefully continue looking westward for any future additions
10-17-2011 08:37 PM
Advertisement

ottolite Offline
Water Engineer

How about shocking everyone and taking Boise State?
10-17-2011 09:00 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(10-17-2011 09:00 PM)ottolite Wrote:  

How about shocking everyone and taking Boise State?

Academics.
10-17-2011 09:19 PM
SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

I Root For: Louisville
The fact that Louisville & WVU both voted, though rumor had it that they would abstain says there's hope yet for the Big East. This, and the fact that BYU is still negotiating with the Big 12.

Reports that we could still end up with as much money in a TV deal as we could get in the Big 12 sort of removes any real incentive to switch... as long as the Big East doesn't lose its AQ status (and with the targeted schools, it certainly cannot).
10-17-2011 09:35 PM
RUfan03 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers, MCC
I think BYU is #1 on the Big 12's radar screen. I think Louisville, W. Va is a diversion. They could also go after Boise St before seriously looking at Big East schools.
10-17-2011 09:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.