Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Big East Academic Consortium...
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

Who should be involved in the academic consortium that the Big East should and likely is working on? Obviously the 16 current BE members. I would figure that a few regional D-3s should be added ala the continued inclusion of UChicago in the CIC. I'd like to see RPI, RIT, NYU, Stevens Institute of Technology, NJIT, UMDNJ, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, John Hopkins, and all the satellite campii of in-conference schools included. So Rutgers - Newark, Rutgers - Camden, UConn - Avery Point, and the like would all be included in the system. If we setup a comprehensive consortium like that, that has ties to certain Ivies, clearly Rutgers has its ties to Columbia and Princeton, then our coalition could and would easily surpass the CIC and the ACC in stature, size (I'm talking money & research), and prestige. And in setup the consortium as part of the split. I think with Georgetown, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Syracuse, Villanova, Notre Dame, Marquette, and Connecticut involved we should be able to pull some heavy hitters like MIT, Carnegie Mellon, John Hopkins, and NYU on board. It would certainly make conference membership to harder to get schools like PSU, UMD, and BC much more attractive knowing that they will have research/academic partnerships not only with the expected schools in their conferencemates but also with the heavy hitters.
07-11-2005 03:16 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

I would stick with main campuses with full CIC membership.

John Hopkins comes to mind as a good non athletic member.
07-11-2005 03:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
trephin Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Chicago is a member because they were an athletic member originally. They did not lose their place when they dropped athletics; it was not that they were added as a nonathletic participant. That's a big difference than starting a new partnership with nonmembers.
07-11-2005 09:29 PM
JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

How can one be part of a conference consortium if one is not a member of a conference?
07-12-2005 01:44 AM
Advertisement

Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators

Pitt and Carnegie Mellon already work together on a number of things. They jointly run the Software Engineering Project here in Pittsburgh.
07-12-2005 07:30 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

trephin Wrote:Chicago is a member because they were an athletic member originally.  They did not lose their place when they dropped athletics;  it was not that they were added as a nonathletic participant.  That's a big difference than starting a new partnership with nonmembers.
No offense trephin but I'm well aware of that fact. However, having D-3 members of the consortium like NYU, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, and John Hopkins are excellent adds. Add those to Rutgers, UConn, Pitt, Georgetown, Cincy and the like and you have the best research cartel in the nation. And although I do agree that its different, its far from impossible or even unlikely. Its a very doable partnership given Carnegie Mellon's ties to Pitt, etc. etc.
07-12-2005 08:51 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

brista21 Wrote:
trephin Wrote:Chicago is a member because they were an athletic member originally.  They did not lose their place when they dropped athletics;  it was not that they were added as a nonathletic participant.  That's a big difference than starting a new partnership with nonmembers.
No offense trephin but I'm well aware of that fact. However, having D-3 members of the consortium like NYU, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, and John Hopkins are excellent adds. Add those to Rutgers, UConn, Pitt, Georgetown, Cincy and the like and you have the best research cartel in the nation. And although I do agree that its different, its far from impossible or even unlikely. Its a very doable partnership given Carnegie Mellon's ties to Pitt, etc. etc.
This is a very smart idea of including the Division III schools in a Big East CIC and you're the first one I think to come up with it to my knowledge.
07-12-2005 11:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.