Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

DNA Will Prove...You Got Me and My Teen Cousin Pregnant!
Howl-n-Prowl Away
Three SDs above the mean

I Root For: Los NIU Huskies
DNA Will Prove...You Got Me and My Teen Cousin Pregnant!
Pure speculation.

But if Mizzou signs off on the reported revenue sharing agreement that locks in the Universities' T1/T2 rights for the next 6 years, I don't think that the Big 12 will expand anytime soon.

There's contradicting information out there regarding what the current Universities would prefer to do regarding expansion, but at least a few members do not want to go to 12 teams and add a Championship game.

If the conference decides that it doesn't want that Championship game, then there is little incentive to grow to 10 if, (a) the conference has been stabilized (safeguarded against more teams fleeing) via the TV rights agreement, and (b) the current TV deal is not in jeopardy (it's been reported that the current agreed upon TV deal will not be amended or rescinded if the conference stays at 9).

So unless the conference can land a "Major Addition" that would allow it reopen the TV negotiations and get more money (and I don't think that team exist except for maybe Notre Dame but they aren't joining any conference at this time) I think it will wait to expand, at least until the current TV deal ends, or the market grows to a point where the current deal is undervalued enough that it makes fiscal sense to add more teams and renegotiate the contract, or the six year limit on the T1/T2 rights starts approaching.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd like to see NIU in the Big 12, but then again this respite could give NIU some time to make a better case for itself.
10-03-2011 02:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

apex_pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina
RE: DNA Will Prove...You Got Me and My Teen Cousin Pregnant!
No offense....but NIU isn't on any expansion list for the Big XII. ECU is closer to the SEC expansion list (which it also isn't on) than NIU is to the Big XII list. I guess we can all want things. Don't let your dreams die....but don't hold your breath either. 04-cheers
10-03-2011 02:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LSUtah Offline
1st String

I Root For: LSU
(10-03-2011 02:39 PM)Howl-n-Prowl Wrote:  Pure speculation.

But if Mizzou signs off on the reported revenue sharing agreement that locks in the Universities' T1/T2 rights for the next 6 years, I don't think that the Big 12 will expand anytime soon.

There's contradicting information out there regarding what the current Universities would prefer to do regarding expansion, but at least a few members do not want to go to 12 teams and add a Championship game.

If the conference decides that it doesn't want that Championship game, then there is little incentive to grow to 10 if, (a) the conference has been stabilized (safeguarded against more teams fleeing) via the TV rights agreement, and (b) the current TV deal is not in jeopardy (it's been reported that the current agreed upon TV deal will not be amended or rescinded if the conference stays at 9).

So unless the conference can land a "Major Addition" that would allow it reopen the TV negotiations and get more money (and I don't think that team exist except for maybe Notre Dame but they aren't joining any conference at this time) I think it will wait to expand, at least until the current TV deal ends, or the market grows to a point where the current deal is undervalued enough that it makes fiscal sense to add more teams and renegotiate the contract, or the six year limit on the T1/T2 rights starts approaching.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd like to see NIU in the Big 12, but then again this respite could give NIU some time to make a better case for itself.

You seem to be forgetting that the Big-12 has an expansion committee..? Sorry, but I would not expect NIU to make that list.
10-03-2011 02:43 PM
Advertisement

Howl-n-Prowl Away
Three SDs above the mean

I Root For: Los NIU Huskies
(10-03-2011 02:43 PM)LSUtah Wrote:  You seem to be forgetting that the Big-12 has an expansion committee..? Sorry, but I would not expect NIU to make that list.

That committee exists in order to evaluate the possibility of expansion. For the reasons I stated, I think that the committee decides against expansion at this time.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2011 02:47 PM by Howl-n-Prowl.)
10-03-2011 02:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
(10-03-2011 02:47 PM)Howl-n-Prowl Wrote:  
(10-03-2011 02:43 PM)LSUtah Wrote:  You seem to be forgetting that the Big-12 has an expansion committee..? Sorry, but I would not expect NIU to make that list.

That committee exists in order to evaluate the possibility of expansion. For the reasons I stated, I think that the committee decides against expansion at this time.

Yes and you have put forth some good reasoning behind that assertion.

Where Texas stands on expansion is a key measure of what could potentially happen. The Texas AD prefers to stick at 9 or 10 teams (which they have currently) and does not want to add any Texas teams. The odds of going to 12 and grabbing Cincinnati out the Big East are far slimmer than what the reports would make you believe.

Missouri may as well sit tight with the other 8 schools for right now. With the ACC at 14 and SEC at 13 its only a matter of time before the B1G decides to expand. For the last two decades the number of 12 for conferences was sacrosanct but that isn't the case anymore.
10-03-2011 03:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.