UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Suggestions from any bike riders out there
GreenGiant67 Offline
never any doubt

I Root For: the UAB Blazers
Suggestions from any bike riders out there
I am saving up money to pay cash for a bike. Should have it by the end of Feb including cash for all the accessories that will be needed (helmet, jacket, gloves, "*****" helmet, etc) Leaning heavily towards a Suzuki V-Strom 650. I will use it to ride to and from work (round trip is 20 miles) and to make trips up to Bham from Prattville (weekends w/o my son). Plus I will likely join in some bike rides with a friend down here who rides with a group frequently.

Any suggestions from any current riders out there?
Please don't bother with any negative comments saying I shouldn't get one. I've heard them all and will just ignore them.
09-27-2011 12:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
RE: Suggestions from any bike riders out there
I have a 94 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 and love it. Eventually I plan to get a newer one, my dad and brother both have newer (2004 or newer) fuel injected Vulcans and they love them too. I had a 93 Suzuki before my current bike and it was ok, no complaints, just a little small (not Suzuki's fault I bought an 800).

I just looked up the V-Strom and notice that they're sport bikes and not cruisers, so I can't give you any specific advice, other than I suspect for the longer rides you'd be better off with a cruiser. Well, I can give you SOME specific advice, and that is to never even consider buying a Harley.
09-27-2011 02:45 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
While not a current rider, I did have a crotch rocket in the 80's (Kawasaki Ninja) during the heyday of the insurance companies blacklisting sport bikes because all the people out in CA getting killed on them. Like anything, insurance will be the killer as far as costs go. Also most car drivers don't have a clue on how to drive around motorcycles & there's more of them now than in my day so you have to think ahead when driving one especially in bad weather. I drove mine year round but I had a car also for most of my driving. I never had an accident but a couple of close calls w/ traffic/weather. I wish I could find that $500 running motorcycle now that you could find all over the place in my day but all you get now is a parts bike for that price these days.
09-27-2011 04:50 PM
Advertisement

rook360 Offline
All American

(09-27-2011 12:26 PM)GreenGiant67 Wrote:  I am saving up money to pay cash for a bike. Should have it by the end of Feb including cash for all the accessories that will be needed (helmet, jacket, gloves, "*****" helmet, etc) Leaning heavily towards a Suzuki V-Strom 650. I will use it to ride to and from work (round trip is 20 miles) and to make trips up to Bham from Prattville (weekends w/o my son). Plus I will likely join in some bike rides with a friend down here who rides with a group frequently.

Any suggestions from any current riders out there?
Please don't bother with any negative comments saying I shouldn't get one. I've heard them all and will just ignore them.

The V-strom is go for commuting and is very easy to add saddle bags (cases?) to. Or a Suzuki bandit (600 or 1200) is a nice bike for commuting and the occasional road trip or ride.
09-29-2011 12:50 AM
GreenGiant67 Offline
never any doubt

That's why I am leading heavily towards the V-Strom. It is a good beginner bike plus it is good for commuting and carrying saddle bags/cases as well.

Thanks for the responses.
09-29-2011 11:59 AM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
As a non biker, I would like to know what any of you might think of the 3 wheeled cycles -- either two in front or two in back --for a person who is balance-challenged and had trouble with bycycles as a kid? I have seen TV ads for both front and rear arrangements but don't know anything about them.
09-29-2011 11:31 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-29-2011 11:31 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  As a non biker, I would like to know what any of you might think of the 3 wheeled cycles -- either two in front or two in back --for a person who is balance-challenged and had trouble with bycycles as a kid? I have seen TV ads for both front and rear arrangements but don't know anything about them.

The Can-am (the one with two wheels in the front) are crazy expensive, or at least used to be. An old boss of mine is a biker and he test drove one and loved it. Only thing keeping him from buying was the price.

I see a lot of people riding trikes, it's a good solution I suppose for those who don't want to deal with a bike but still ride a bike. I've never ridden one, but the only negative I ever hear is that they're kind of pricy.
09-30-2011 06:58 AM
Advertisement

Copperblazer Offline
Great White Hooter Hunter

I Root For: Boobies.

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Those Can-Am's are pretty cool looking. There are two of them that ride around Guntersville a lot.

Always lots of bikers up here, and riding an assortment of bikes, but nothing too wierd. Although, I did see a fat guy riding a gold wing that had training wheels on it.
10-04-2011 10:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GreenGiant67 Offline
never any doubt

Well it looks like I may be getting it sooner than later. I am in line for a promotion at work that will hopefully start in the next week or two. I am getting psyched.
10-04-2011 10:42 PM
Copperblazer Offline
Great White Hooter Hunter

I Root For: Boobies.

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
It's a good time of year to cruise. Lots of people heading up to the Smokies.
10-04-2011 10:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.