Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Another "hypothetical" question
Yuleofell Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Bobby Petrino hates to "call off the dogs". He inserts second and third team players but he calls plays to score even when winning by a large margin. For example, look at the 70-7 score in the Ul/Cincy game last season.

If he runs up the score on our new Big East brethren, are you guys going to get pissed or willingly accept he is trying to help UL's ranking ?
07-26-2005 12:10 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

Yuleofell Wrote:For example, look at the 70-7 score in the Ul/Cincy  game last season.
I'd rather not. :laugh:

By the way - mighty bold talk - I guess you are expecting some more games like these this year?
07-26-2005 12:43 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse

Yuleofell Wrote:Bobby Petrino hates to "call off the dogs". He inserts second and third team players but he calls plays to score even when winning by a large margin. For example, look at the 70-7 score in the Ul/Cincy game last season.

If he runs up the score on our new Big East brethren, are you guys going to get pissed or willingly accept he is trying to help UL's ranking ?
puhleese

A few of your new brethren have played some teams nearly as good as the almighty UberCards
07-26-2005 12:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
GunnerFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: GT, Cuse

I won't get peeved provided the second and third stringers are in, but that's good coaching anyway to pull starters out when not needed.

Just make sure, Yule, you show the same discourse when the tide has turned. 03-wink Louisville will not remain on such a perch for too long and plenty an opponent will enjoy reciprocating such... hospitality. :D
07-26-2005 01:52 PM
Advertisement

Woodycuse Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Yuleofell Wrote:Bobby Petrino hates to "call off the dogs". He inserts second and third team players but he calls plays to score even when winning by a large margin. For example, look at the 70-7 score in the Ul/Cincy  game last season.

If he runs up the score on our new Big East brethren, are you guys going to get pissed or willingly accept he is trying  to help UL's  ranking ?
Don't expect Petrino to get a whole lot of chances to "call off the dogs" in this league. I respect Louisville and wish them well, but Pitt, WVU,SU etc played Miami and Va Tech every year. They are used to playing with the big boys and will not be easy games for the Cards.
07-26-2005 02:06 PM
JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Paybacks are h"ll. What goes round comes round. You reap what you sow. And other cliches come to mind.

I guess the way a team runs up a score is what might make it bitter. For example, if a team can run out the clock with 3 running plays, they shouldn't pass or call a timeout. However, a coach can't really tell subs not to score. They deserve the opportunity too. It's the manner in which it ends that would leave the strongest taste.

One case in point. No matter how wide the margin, I, as a coach, keep my starters in for almost a full 3 quarters. Then again, if we're ahead with 20 seconds remaining inside the five, I take a knee. Even when winning large, one must do it with class.

Jim
07-26-2005 02:08 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

For the record - in that 70-7 game Lousiville did not run up the score. UC simply did not show up for that game. Louisville could have easily scored more if they wanted to.

My theory on that game is that Guidugli getting hurt the week before really took the wind out of UC's sails. UC was playing extremely good football prior to that game, probably the best 4 game stretch I have ever seen a UC team play, having crushed Memphis 49-10, beating a good TCU team 21-10, absolutely destroying USM at USM 52-24, and easily beating USF at home 45-23. UC's offense was in high gear at that point.

And I think the UC coaching staff learned a vauable lesson in that game - get more playing time for the backup QB's early in the season, as nobody had more than a few snaps at the end of any game prior to that one. And boy did it show.

UC would have probably still lost at UofL even with Guidugli, but we would have put quite a few more points on the board with him.

Case in point - when he came back for the Ft. Worth Bowl, playing after a long layoff and with a broken hand at about 60-70% healed, he still picked apart the Marshall secondary.
07-26-2005 02:27 PM
Yuleofell Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

This thread was mainly in response to Gunner T. It is a distinct possibility though that the Ville will smack one or more of our new conference members hard though. I was not trying to be disrespectful of anyone.Our offense is for real. Our defense has far more question marks. If we get ahead on somebody and force them to be one dimensional though watch out.

Petrino is a "go for the throat" kind of coach. That part was not tongue in cheek. He had Tee Shirts mnade for the "voluntary workouts" this summer that have a shark on them and say ATTACK. This was in response to someone saying the team would have a bullseye target on them this season.

Trust me, Ville fans can "take" it quite well. For years, we have traded smack with God's gift to the SEC ( in their own minds). History says we are a flash in the pan and our success will not be sustained. We on the other hand want to enjoy the ride for all its worth and say "why not?".
07-26-2005 03:44 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.