Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Schools negotiating with power
SPHerd Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Marshall
Schools negotiating with power
Once the PAC 16 is announced with Texas, the attention will focus on these two schools:

1. Missouri- Will it be BIG or SEC?
2. Rutgers- Will it be BIG or ACC?

Should Missouri choose the BIG, WVU will be added to the SEC as 14.
Should Missouri choose the SEC, WVU fans will have to suffer a little longer but will eventually be added to the SEC as its' 15 or 16 school.

Should Rutgers choose the BIG, UConn and UofL will go to the ACC.
Should Rutgers choose the ACC, UofL will be praying for the 16 SEC slot.

My personal belief is neither Rutgers or Missouri will turn down the BIG offer and.... it will come, as the ACC/PAC expansion is exactly what Delaney needed to convince the Presidents of the need.

The picture will become clearer after this, potentilal Big losers will be USF, UC, Baylor, Iowa St, and probably either KState or TCU.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2011 11:30 AM by SPHerd.)
09-19-2011 11:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: Schools negotiating with power
Notre Dame is the only one with true negotiating power. That's the school leagues will move mountains for and as long as both the B1G and ACC believe they have a legit shot at the Irish, it will be virtually impossible for them to expand further. With the BE is on the verge of collapsing, this might be the one shot in a generation to land ND (and both Delany and Swofford know it).
09-19-2011 12:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Yes, the idea that Rutgers and/or Mizzou have 'negotiating power' versus the Big 10 or ACC/SEC strikes me as laughable. Instead, if the Big East collapse is finalized, they will be begging hat-in-hand to get any BCS-AQ conference to invite them ....
09-19-2011 12:26 PM
lastchance82 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rutgers, BE
Rutgers is in no position to choose. Their position is on their knees begging.
09-19-2011 12:29 PM
Advertisement

BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
Frank do you actually think that the Irish would consider joining a conference as a FULL MEMBER even if the Big East bb only schools are able to salvage the conference with other basketball schools still able to provide ND with a home??? I would think if the ND is so set on staying Indy then they will stay amongst the Big East with basketball only schools providing them other sports a home with the inclusion of Butler, Xavier, and others. Do you really think they would join the BIG if asked here with in the next couple of days or weeks???
09-19-2011 12:36 PM
SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

Neither of Missouri nor Rutgers will "choose" where they go. In both cases, if the B1G invites, the answer will be an immediate & enthusiastic Yes. But it's more likely that the B1G will simply ignore their applications.

Really, assuming the 4 Texas/Oklahoma schools go to the Pac, the only thing we can watch is to see which school becomes SEC #14. That will probably determine the make-up of the Big 12/Big East merger (i.e. whether WVU or Mizzou is in it - it's unlikely that both will be in it together).

Of course, if the SEC expands to 16 instead of 14, then all bets are off. If the ACC schools stick together, it'll be very difficult for the SEC to avoid Louisville and stick to their southern footprint.
09-19-2011 12:46 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-19-2011 12:36 PM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  Frank do you actually think that the Irish would consider joining a conference as a FULL MEMBER even if the Big East bb only schools are able to salvage the conference with other basketball schools still able to provide ND with a home??? I would think if the ND is so set on staying Indy then they will stay amongst the Big East with basketball only schools providing them other sports a home with the inclusion of Butler, Xavier, and others. Do you really think they would join the BIG if asked here with in the next couple of days or weeks???

It's possible, but look at this Tweet about the "7 non-football schools" of the BE having a conference call today:

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamZagoria/status...5498226688

That means ND wasn't involved. It doesn't mean it's outcome determinative, but ND was on the verge of joining the Big Ten in 2003 after the ACC raid (and that residual BE looked a heck of a lot better than it does now).
09-19-2011 12:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

(09-19-2011 12:51 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  It's possible, but look at this Tweet about the "7 non-football schools" of the BE having a conference call today:

That means ND wasn't involved. It doesn't mean it's outcome determinative, but ND was on the verge of joining the Big Ten in 2003 after the ACC raid (and that residual BE looked a heck of a lot better than it does now).

We don't know, based on that, if ND was involved or not. He could've just mis-typed the number, not known (or not remembered) the exact number, or the 8th one could be Nova for all we know.
09-19-2011 12:54 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-19-2011 12:54 PM)SmallVoice Wrote:  
(09-19-2011 12:51 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  It's possible, but look at this Tweet about the "7 non-football schools" of the BE having a conference call today:

We don't know, based on that, if ND was involved or not. He could've just mis-typed the number, not known (or not remembered) the exact number, or the 8th one could be Nova for all we know.

OK - you can imply that ND wasn't involved. You're correct that this Tweet doesn't confirm it. You can also believe that Villanova is the one talking to the ACC, but how likely is that compared to ND talking to, well, everyone? You can also believe that he mistyped the number 7 or not remembered the number of schools (despite him being the host of the Big East Report for SNY, the BE's largest syndication partner), but we're getting into tinfoil hat territory, here.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2011 01:10 PM by Frank the Tank.)
09-19-2011 01:09 PM
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
The idea of Notre Dame joining a one timezone league flies in the face of everything we think we know about Notre Dame, right?
09-19-2011 01:57 PM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(09-19-2011 11:28 AM)SPHerd Wrote:  Should Missouri choose the BIG, WVU will be added to the SEC as 14.
Should Missouri choose the SEC, WVU fans will have to suffer a little longer but will eventually be added to the SEC as its' 15 or 16 school.

Should Rutgers choose the BIG, UConn and UofL will go to the ACC.
Should Rutgers choose the ACC, UofL will be praying for the 16 SEC slot. .

I am thinking someone needs to expalin the definition of "choosing" and "negotiating power" to you. When you are at the mercy of others, and have to accept whatever is given to you, that is the very opposite of having negotiating power or leverage.

Right now there are three schools with negotiating power, in this order:
1) Oklahoma
2) Texas
3) Notre Dame

I put them in this order because more or less what Oklahoma decides to do will determine what dominoes will fall where. Practically speaking both Notre Dame and Texas have more power than Oklahoma, but since both want the status quo, what Oklahoma ultimately decides, and assuming the Pac 12 goes along with it (that must be stated based on some of the reports today of some Pac 12 leaders not thrilled with the idea), will determine if the Big XII lives on for another year, or it will die today along with the Big East (die as it is currently known).
09-19-2011 02:06 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(09-19-2011 01:09 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(09-19-2011 12:54 PM)SmallVoice Wrote:  

OK - you can imply that ND wasn't involved. You're correct that this Tweet doesn't confirm it. You can also believe that Villanova is the one talking to the ACC, but how likely is that compared to ND talking to, well, everyone? You can also believe that he mistyped the number 7 or not remembered the number of schools (despite him being the host of the Big East Report for SNY, the BE's largest syndication partner), but we're getting into tinfoil hat territory, here.

Frank:

Have you seen my post on the expansion board on this issue? The linked article there says that all eight schools, including Notre Dame, were involved in the conference call.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2011 03:04 PM by TerryD.)
09-19-2011 03:03 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(09-19-2011 11:28 AM)SPHerd Wrote:  Once the PAC 16 is announced with Texas, the attention will focus on these two schools:

1. Missouri- Will it be BIG or SEC?
2. Rutgers- Will it be BIG or ACC?

Thread should have been entitled:

Schools that negotiated with power:

1) Texas A&M
2A) Pitt
2B) Syracuse

All others: Good luck...nothing is guaranteed anymore.
09-19-2011 04:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.