Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - More bad new for Ohio State
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
OT - More bad new for Ohio State
This could add effect Ohio State's previous case, which is even now awaiting a final ruling...

Ohio State suspends three players
Quote:Ohio State has suspended three players for receiving impermissible benefits at a charity event earlier this year.

Running back Jordan Hall and defensive backs Corey Brown and Travis Howard have been suspended for Saturday's season opener against Akron for each receiving benefits of $300 or less.
It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch... 03-lmfao
09-02-2011 02:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: OT - More bad new for Ohio State
(09-02-2011 02:14 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  This could add effect Ohio State's previous case, which is even now awaiting a final ruling...

Ohio State suspends three players
Quote:Ohio State has suspended three players for receiving impermissible benefits at a charity event earlier this year.

Running back Jordan Hall and defensive backs Corey Brown and Travis Howard have been suspended for Saturday's season opener against Akron for each receiving benefits of $300 or less.
It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch... 03-lmfao

Jesus. OSU is a case study in what the NCAA threshold is for lack of institutional control. They keep pushing the envelope with little to nothing more than a peep from the NCAA.
09-02-2011 02:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

The NCAA didn't give the Buckeyes lack of institutional control because they are one of the premier football programs in the NCAA. If the NCAA tried to hit them hard, they'd just leave...
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2011 02:51 PM by bitcruncher.)
09-02-2011 02:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
I'll be surprised if they get anything more than perhaps a one year bowl ban.
09-02-2011 03:05 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

But it'll hit the fan for any MAC school that gets out of line while the Buckeyes are on probation...
09-02-2011 03:08 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(09-02-2011 02:51 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  The NCAA didn't give the Buckeyes lack of institutional control because they are one of the premier football programs in the NCAA. If the NCAA tried to hit them hard, they'd just leave...

I don't buy that. They hit USC with it for one. And two, where is OSU going to go? First off, unless they convince the other 65 BCS teams to go with them, they are SOL. And there are a lot of reasons why you don't see a separation of big name schools and the NCAA, but the number one reason is they would almost certainly lose their tax exempt status, which means they'd have to more or less find a way to double their money to break even. Since BCS schools make 95% of the money paid via TV contracts in college sports, 90% of the BCS money, and 55% of NCAA tournament revenue, there simply is no way to make double the money purely by separating, and that is just to break even.
09-02-2011 05:21 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(09-02-2011 05:21 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  I don't buy that. They hit USC with it for one. And two, where is OSU going to go? First off, unless they convince the other 65 BCS teams to go with them, they are SOL. And there are a lot of reasons why you don't see a separation of big name schools and the NCAA, but the number one reason is they would almost certainly lose their tax exempt status, which means they'd have to more or less find a way to double their money to break even. Since BCS schools make 95% of the money paid via TV contracts in college sports, 90% of the BCS money, and 55% of NCAA tournament revenue, there simply is no way to make double the money purely by separating, and that is just to break even.

USC isn't Ohio State. That's just east coast bias. Different set of rules for Big 10 schools. It has always been that way. Always will be that way. If anyone believes the NCAA treats all offenders the same, they are seriously naive.
CJ
09-02-2011 05:25 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Exactly, CJ...
09-02-2011 06:37 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
From what's be said on the OSU boards, it sounds like these guys took a gift bag at a charity event (wish I was kidding). Maybe turns out to be more than that, but this feels more to me like one of those technical violations that proves how ridicious some of the rules are (like Nebraska going on probation for their students buying recommened instead of just required books).
09-02-2011 07:53 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Be that as it may, it puts the Buckeyes squarely in the crosshairs. They have one case pending already, and now this. You'd think the coaches would have educated the kids about these kinds of things. You'd also think they'd listen, since OSU is in deep doo doo already...
09-02-2011 08:00 PM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
If (and I will keep that as an if until the full facts come out) they took a gift bag that everyone there took, I can't blaim them for anything as the rules are just too stupid for me even to think it should have occured to them.
09-02-2011 08:04 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

If it didn't occur to them, I'd blame whoever is in charge of compliance at OSU. It's their job to teach these kids what is, and what isn't, permissable. Does anyone at Ohio State think?
09-02-2011 08:09 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(09-02-2011 08:04 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  If (and I will keep that as an if until the full facts come out) they took a gift bag that everyone there took, I can't blaim them for anything as the rules are just too stupid for me even to think it should have occured to them.

Funny that you can't take a gift bag at a charity event, but the windfall of gits that players get at bowls are not illegal?
09-02-2011 08:16 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I tend to agree there, ad. But it's still the fault of OSU's compliance people. They were asleep at the wheel, and now the Buckeyes have suffered another wreck...
09-02-2011 08:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.