Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

More Univ of Texas arrogance revealed
purple pain Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: tcu
Texas revealed yesterday that they had offerred Aggies a TV partnership deal like their ESPN venture. So, they were working behind Texas Tech's back? AD DeLoss Dodd didn't even know how stupid his comment was, and thought the public might believe him in the first place.

Pitt better think long and hard before considering the Big 12. Texas dominates everything down there and that is why Texas A&M departed. Plus , like Delaney, you can't trust one thing Dodd says.
09-02-2011 10:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: More Univ of Texas arrogance revealed
I heard rumors here in Htown that UT had offered some sort of a deal in the LHN to TAMU, too, so there may be some truth. Obviously, it was not sufficient to entice TAMU and probably did not disclose the big $$$$ it was worth or TAMU may have been enticed.
09-02-2011 10:31 AM
MaroonFrog Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU

Crappies
Blaming one party for what's going on in the Big 12 is silly. Texas is arrogant and greedy for sure, but all of those schools are and they've been dealing behind each other's backs for years.

The Big 12 killed the SWC, so I'll savor every moment of that ill-conceived conference dying a slow & public death.
09-02-2011 11:03 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
Rumor is that it was a 70-30 split in favor of TX. Before anyone comments about that, note that in the state's Public University Fund, 2/3 is allocated to the UT schools and 1/3 to A&M schools. Has been that way for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_University_Fund

Further, note that "UT schools" includes UTEP, UT-Arlington & UTSA in addition to Austin. A&M includes Prairie View.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2011 11:41 AM by mattsarz.)
09-02-2011 11:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WVMntneer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU
Texas only cares about Texas. They have their own TV contact and they try to monopolize any conference they are in. ala Notre Dame. Who cares, who needs'em. Once the SEC expands, the Big 12 could end up as the Big none!
09-02-2011 12:39 PM
Advertisement

Frog Brother Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: TCU
(09-02-2011 11:37 AM)mattsarz Wrote:  Rumor is that it was a 70-30 split in favor of TX. Before anyone comments about that, note that in the state's Public University Fund, 2/3 is allocated to the UT schools and 1/3 to A&M schools. Has been that way for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_University_Fund

Further, note that "UT schools" includes UTEP, UT-Arlington & UTSA in addition to Austin. A&M includes Prairie View.

A&M has a big network of schools spread across the state and abroad. It includes the following in addition to the Collie Station campus:

Prairie View A&M University
Tarleton State University
Texas A&M International University
Texas A&M University at Galveston
Texas Maritime Academy
Texas A&M University at Qatar
Texas A&M University–Central Texas
Texas A&M University–Commerce
Texas A&M University–Corpus Christi
Texas A&M University–Kingsville
Texas A&M University–San Antonio
Texas A&M University–Texarkana
West Texas A&M University
09-02-2011 12:41 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
I can't blame Texas here. A&M and Oklahoma had the chance to do the same deal UT did. In fact, they were bragging about it last year. However, UT was the only one able to get theirs off the ground. now A&M is crying foul about unfair advantages. Even worse, the solution they favor, would still give them an "unfair" advantage over the other 8 teams in the league. I am sorry, but A&M is the greedy one here, and it's not even close.
09-02-2011 12:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(09-02-2011 12:50 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  I can't blame Texas here. A&M and Oklahoma had the chance to do the same deal UT did. In fact, they were bragging about it last year. However, UT was the only one able to get theirs off the ground.

This is what really frosts me about it. OU does have their SoonerVIsion in place, but have been unsure about TV marketability when comparing number of households in OK vs. TX. They have HD production in house to do video features, etc. instead of hiring someone. But OU is cool with it for the most part.

A&M on the other hand has done very little. At least nothing that has been publicly mentioned. I did read a CBSSports.com article a while back noting that the head of Fox Sports Southwest is an Aggie alum and would like to help out. Guess he can still do that if they are in the SEC because the SEC allows for institutional networks (hard rule of 1 non-conf football game & any non-conference MBK game not selected by national partners), but not to get started is dumb.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2011 02:01 PM by mattsarz.)
09-02-2011 02:00 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

They got their 2nd game. Big 12 approved Texas at Kansas to air on Longhorn Network

http://www.texassports.com/genrel/090211aah.html
09-02-2011 07:32 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I wonder how the folks in Kansas feel about that? They just might be more receptive to The BEast invite this time around...
09-02-2011 07:43 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(09-02-2011 07:43 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I wonder how the folks in Kansas feel about that? They just might be more receptive to The BEast invite this time around...

They'll see the game. It will be licensed to over-the-air carriers in Kansas plus the Kansas City, MO market. Kansas had to approve the move, along with the Big 12 board of directors.

http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/m-foot...11aaa.html
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2011 08:19 PM by mattsarz.)
09-02-2011 08:17 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

And what were the consequences had Kansas said no? Texas is saying a move to the Pac hasn't been ruled out...
09-02-2011 08:22 PM
CuSeToWn003 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: SU & BE
The LHN is now in more than 4 million homes!
09-02-2011 08:24 PM
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(09-02-2011 08:22 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  And what were the consequences had Kansas said no? Texas is saying a move to the Pac hasn't been ruled out...

As I understand it, $500K rights fee payment to the other Big 12 team, KU in this case. Usually Big 12 conference games pay $275K per team in the old appearance based model, which should rise to $366K under the increased sharing model (57% of TV revenue used to be shared, has increased to 76%) based on the money ABC pays for a game. FSN pays 50% of that today, will increase starting in 2012.

So it means an extra $130K-$350K depending on who would have been the national TV outlet for KU. Is it hush money in some respect? Sure. But it pays the bills.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2011 08:40 PM by mattsarz.)
09-02-2011 08:33 PM
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
Does this imply Kansas is desperate for cash? I thought even Kansas State turned down the LHN.
09-02-2011 09:08 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(09-02-2011 09:08 PM)justinslot Wrote:  Does this imply Kansas is desperate for cash? I thought even Kansas State turned down the LHN.

Texas Tech did turn them down, not sure about K-State.

LHN has also signed up to carry UTSA football for three years as they move into the WAC over the next few years. Will carry the remaining five home games this year after tomorrow's home opener.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/0...n-network/
09-02-2011 09:18 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I seem to remember KState turning them down as well, matt...
09-02-2011 09:20 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(09-02-2011 09:18 PM)mattsarz Wrote:  LHN has also signed up to carry UTSA football for three years as they move into the WAC over the next few years. Will carry the remaining five home games this year after tomorrow's home opener.

Well that makes some sense since they are a part of the same university system.
09-02-2011 09:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.