Football Predictions
Bookmark and Share
camelsinthecreek Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Campbell
Football Predictions
This is a huge year for Campbell Football. They can’t use inexperience as an excuse anymore and if you are going to do well this is a great chance because they will lose so many starters after this year. The major questions for me are: 1) Can the defense do a better job of stopping opponents, especially late in the game? 2) How will the new QB(s) do? I thought Daniel Polk really kept Campbell in several games last year. It looks from the preseason reports that CU is throwing the ball downfield more. A deep threat and a more balanced attack could really open things up for the running game.

Here are my only modestly informed opinions to spark some debate:

Sept 3 at Old Dominion
I can’t see this as anything but an ODU win. They were clearly the better team last year and I assume they would only get better. Glimmer of hope is if it becomes mistake-filled opening game and Campbell is able to control ball on ground. Also some hope that ODU lost their home opener to Jacksonville last year.

Campbell Loss

Sept 10 Apprentice
I am not sure of the rationale for scheduling Apprentice. They are a DIII team in the same conference with Greensboro College and Southern Virginia. They lost to UVA Wise 48-0 in 2009. I assume they were scheduled for a win. I would rather see Campbell play more local teams such Methodist or Greensboro. According to Apprentice website, CU is schedules to travel to Apprentice in 2012.

Campbell Win

Sept 24 Jacksonville
It would have been an amazing upset if CU could have held on and won at Jacksonville. Jacksonville made some odd choices early in the game in an attempt to run-up the score and move up in the polls for a play-off berth. I think that really enabled CU to stay in the game early. JU is likely the best team in the conference this year, so this will really be a test of whether CU can begin to get to the next level.

Campbell Loss

Oct 1 at Drake
CU was so close to taking this game to overtime last year. Seems like a tough road game, but CU actually seems to play better on the road than at home (3 Home wins vs 4 Road wins). This is a game that could be a surprise, but I expect a close Drake win.

Campbell Loss

Oct 8 Butler
If my predictions are correct, CU will come into this game 1 and 3, so this should be a pivotal game. To me, the most important games will be against Butler, Davidson and Morehead State. Campbell really took it to Butler last year in what was the best performance I have seen of Campbell so far. This could be a game that really decides the season, because a loss and Campbell could be 1-6 before the next season defining game at Davidson. It should be a very close game.

Campbell Win

Oct 15 at Marist
Marist has seemed to have Campbell’s number the two times they have played. Marist seems to spread the field well and rely primarily on yardage through the air, which is CU’s weakness.

Campbell Loss

Oct 22 San Diego
CU has not played SD the last two years so it is hard to know what to expect. With it being Homecoming Weekend and the 125th Anniversary Ball the night before, should be a big crowd. Campbell never seems to play well in front of big home crowds. Valpo and Moorhead State wins were two smallest crowds so far. I hate to think it, but……

Campbell Loss

Oct 29 at Davidson
This is the biggest game of the season for me. I think CU might have picked up a couple more wins if they had held on to be Davidson last year. There should be good contingent of traveling support for CU. It is time for Campbell to step up and get a first win against their most (only) local conference rival.

Campbell win

Nov 5 Morehead State
CU earned first conference win against M State two years ago and heartbreaking overtime loss last year. If injuries are not a major problem and morale is still good, I think this is a game Campbell should win.

Campbell Win

Nov 12 at Valparaiso
I am sure Valpo will improve over last year, but I doubt they will improve enough. Unless CU comes into this game with significant injuries or severely lacking in confidence, this should be a comfortable win.

Campbell Win

Nov 19 at Georgia State
Campbell narrowly lost at home to GSU last year. The CU offense and defense outplayed GSU, but the opening kickoff touchdown by GSU turned out to be the difference. I think CU will raise their game with the opportunity to play in the Georgia Dome and their penchant for playing well in big road games last year. The question is, how much better will GSU get in their second year as a program?

GSU win.

Final prediction: 5 Wins and 6 Losses
08-25-2011 06:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OrangeCamel Offline

I Root For: Campbell
RE: Football Predictions
Great post, inthecreek! I'd say your predictions are very reasonable given what we know right now. Some have picked Marist pretty low. Maybe we can get that one and USD at home to go 7-4. Too dilusional??!!
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2011 06:49 AM by OrangeCamel.)
08-30-2011 08:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Geo Visitors Map
Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.