Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Maybe A&M can do what K-State did.
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
OT: Maybe A&M can do what K-State did.
http://www.kstatesports.com/genrel/081511aaa.html

Kansas St. decided to get up and do something, rather than ***** about Texas, and created their own online network. Makes sense that K-State doesn't have the following, so they went online instead. The football opener vs. Eastern Kentucky will be exclusively on the website.

PS - This is what Notre Dame wants to do with their non-revenue sports.
08-15-2011 10:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
RE: OT: Maybe A&M can do what K-State did.
(08-15-2011 10:14 AM)mattsarz Wrote:  http://www.kstatesports.com/genrel/081511aaa.html

Kansas St. decided to get up and do something, rather than ***** about Texas, and created their own online network. Makes sense that K-State doesn't have the following, so they went online instead. The football opener vs. Eastern Kentucky will be exclusively on the website.

PS - This is what Notre Dame wants to do with their non-revenue sports.

Yes, I think that ND wants to put its product on a digital network available to cellphones, IPads and other devices.

Jack Swarbrick specifically mentioned that since almost all ND fans hate the idea of a jumbotron at ND Stadium with a passion, that ND was exploring the idea of putting replays and other in-game content on hand held devices instead.

I am not a technical or television network person, so I ask this question.

Could ND have some type of "Netflix or Apple TV" type idea in mind, where you can access content from many different types of media?

That is the impression I get when I read anything that Jack Swarbrick says about the proposed ND Network.

I have also read (but now cannot find) a reference that they want to launch in 2015 (coincidentally the year the current NBC contract ends).

Here are the Swarbrick articles/comments:

“It gives us more things to talk about, more potential ways to deliver Notre Dame programming. I can’t speak to what their plans might be, but I think it’s all good for Notre Dame.”

“I think the things you can expect initially is more related programming, more shoulder programming can find its way into an outlet. More locker room access, more practice access, more coaches analysis, because now the combination of those two will have a lot of different places they can deploy programming. So, hopefully, we’ll get an opportunity to do that.

“Who knows how many channels, how many networks will be part of that family. It’s conceivable that Notre Dame may be on more than one. You may get replays on one outlet. You might have video on demand for former games. I just, again, think it will be the fact that there will be a lot more mechanisms for delivery in the merged unit that will be good for us.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/59140...-interview

Swarbrick stated, "There will be a Notre Dame Network, but people sort of envision that in traditional terms of something dramatic and new. You’ll sort of grow into it as you produce more and more digital programming and distribute it more broadly, and we’re committed to that.

What is central to our ability to really build out of a viable network is the increased delivery of broadband video to homes. Texas is a cable platform, because they have dense geography. Ours is the inverse of that. We have fans everywhere—not a huge concentration in one cable market. And so we’re going to be really well-positioned, as technology advances here, and we’re spending our time now building our digital programming"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/73092...on-network

"There will be a Notre Dame Network, but people sort of envision that in traditional terms of something dramatic and new," Swarbrick said. "You'll sort of grow into it as you produce more and more digital programming and distribute it more broadly, and we're committed to that."

The network should have a broad reach with Irish fans all across the country and an expansive archive of historic games available to fill air time. The school's plan isn't just focused on television viewers.

"What is central to our ability to really build out of a viable network is the increased delivery of broadband video to homes," Swarbrick said. "Texas is a cable platform, because they have dense geography. Ours is the inverse of that. We have fans everywhere – not a huge concentration in one cable market. And so we're going to be really well-positioned, as technology advances here, and we're spending our time now building our digital programming."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/...-network/1

"We are very focused on building our digital media capacity," Swarbrick said. "It'll probably take a slightly different form because we work with a different set of assets than Texas.

"[Texas's plan] is based on the remarkable passion for that school in a geographic area, so it fits over a cable footprint. I have interest everywhere, but not a concentration of it in one place."

Thus, while Swarbrick has plans for a potential Notre Dame-only network, he must first wait on the development of certain pieces of technology.

"Our opportunities will really come as broadband delivery increases and as [younger demographics] are consuming media on a more content-by-content basis rather than a network basis," he said. "So as those two things evolve, that's really going to play to Notre Dame's favor."

http://www.ndsmcobserver.com/sports/2010...-1.2230311

NOTRE DAME NETWORK: There is truth to the story that Notre Dame is exploring the concept of a "Notre Dame Network. Below is an excerpt of athletic director Jack Swarbrick confirming that a Notre Dame Network is in the works:

"There will be a Notre Dame Network, but people sort of envision that in traditional terms of something dramatic and new. You'll sort of grow into it as you produce more and more digital programming and distribute it more broadly, and we're committed to that.

"What is central to our ability to really build out of a viable network is the increased delivery of broadband video to homes. Texas is a cable platform, because they have dense geography. Ours is the inverse of that. We have fans everywhere - not a huge concentration in one cable market. And so we're going to be really well-positioned, as technology advances here, and we're spending our time now building our digital programming."

Imagine: Notre Dame going the non-traditional route.

But, with the way fans are adopting new technologies for their news and entertainment, it makes sense. I've been told the network is still a few years away from coming to fruition and there's a couple reasons for that. Swarbrick wants to see how this digital/internet television life cycle works out. Web content is pretty hot right now, but a lot of companies are still trying to figure out how to monetize it.

Secondly, Texas' ESPN-based Longhorn Network will be launching this fall. While it's doubtful the network will be anything less than a success, Notre Dame might be waiting to see how the whole thing works out. And, remember, Swarbrick and Texas AD DeLoss Dodds are tight. Rumor had it that when the conference realignment shift happened last summer, Dodds and Swarbrick spoke about starting their own conference, so they're probably sharing network ideas as well. (cft.com).

http://samsportsline.com/features-colleg...18-11.html
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2011 11:03 AM by TerryD.)
08-15-2011 11:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.