Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NBC: We want BE
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
NBC: We want BE
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2011 11:30 AM by TIGER-PAUL.)
08-12-2011 11:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
RE: NBC: We want BE
it's further down the page.
08-12-2011 11:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
I wouldn't mind it. The thing that worries me is that they want our basketball though.
08-12-2011 11:51 AM
SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

(08-12-2011 11:51 AM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  I wouldn't mind it. The thing that worries me is that they want our basketball though.
Why is that a problem? If they're willing to pay more for it than ESPN and they have a network dedicated to sports, making us the main offering on that network, that's a good deal. An NBC sports network will only get bigger, and during its formative years, the Big East is going to be its main offering. This would be great, imho.

It's cool being the go-to conference for ESPN in basketball, but we're no longer the priority for them that we once were (except at BET time). If Versus becomes NBC Sports, it will soon be in at least as many households as ESPN, and with NBC's resources, it also won't be long before they have as many spin-off channels as ESPN currently has.

There is only an "up" side to this bidding war, and I don't care which network lands us as long as each all-sports program gets more money than our ACC counterparts.
08-12-2011 11:59 AM
CuSeToWn003 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: SU & BE
(08-12-2011 11:59 AM)SmallVoice Wrote:  
(08-12-2011 11:51 AM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  I wouldn't mind it. The thing that worries me is that they want our basketball though.
Why is that a problem? If they're willing to pay more for it than ESPN and they have a network dedicated to sports, making us the main offering on that network, that's a good deal. An NBC sports network will only get bigger, and during its formative years, the Big East is going to be its main offering. This would be great, imho.

It's cool being the go-to conference for ESPN in basketball, but we're no longer the priority for them that we once were (except at BET time). If Versus becomes NBC Sports, it will soon be in at least as many households as ESPN, and with NBC's resources, it also won't be long before they have as many spin-off channels as ESPN currently has.

There is only an "up" side to this bidding war, and I don't care which network lands us as long as each all-sports program gets more money than our ACC counterparts.

we wouldn't be having these discussions if the be did invite memphis over depaul. we'll be only needing 2 votes gtown and st johns.
08-12-2011 12:05 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(08-12-2011 11:59 AM)SmallVoice Wrote:  If Versus becomes NBC Sports, it will soon be in at least as many households as ESPN, and with NBC's resources, it also won't be long before they have as many spin-off channels as ESPN currently has.

Currently, Versus is in about 75% of the households of ESPN. USA Network, which I imagine would have a hand in this (probably showing a game of the week kind of thing) is in MORE households than ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU. Also two of the three Turner stations are in MORE households than any ESPN channel, with the third (Tru TV) in about 90% of the households of ESPN. The only option that may have growing pains is if we go with Turner, who I have heard is partnering with CBS on the bi (like they do on the tournament). I woudl guess that CBS Sports channel would be involved, which is much lower in distrubution as we speak. But that could change in a hurry.

ESPN is not the only place to be seen. In fact, based on th elast few years, satying with ESPN is where we are likely to be seen the least.
08-12-2011 12:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
(08-12-2011 12:55 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(08-12-2011 11:59 AM)SmallVoice Wrote:  If Versus becomes NBC Sports, it will soon be in at least as many households as ESPN, and with NBC's resources, it also won't be long before they have as many spin-off channels as ESPN currently has.

Currently, Versus is in about 75% of the households of ESPN. USA Network, which I imagine would have a hand in this (probably showing a game of the week kind of thing) is in MORE households than ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU. Also two of the three Turner stations are in MORE households than any ESPN channel, with the third (Tru TV) in about 90% of the households of ESPN. The only option that may have growing pains is if we go with Turner, who I have heard is partnering with CBS on the bi (like they do on the tournament). I woudl guess that CBS Sports channel would be involved, which is much lower in distrubution as we speak. But that could change in a hurry.

ESPN is not the only place to be seen. In fact, based on th elast few years, satying with ESPN is where we are likely to be seen the least.

BE helped ESPN to where they are today. BE can help another network grow up just like ESPN.

It is time to cut the ties with ESPN on football. We simply can't get the same exposure with a network obsessed with B1G and the SEC.
08-12-2011 01:05 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
I also expect that NBC Sports has a huge say in the upcoming Thursday Night Package the NFL is purposing as well. If they land to NFL and we get on the ground floor with them then guess what. NBC Sports will be pretty much on the same level as ESPN and with the NFL in even more livingrooms.
08-12-2011 01:14 PM
Metropolis777 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TCU
(08-12-2011 01:14 PM)Maize Wrote:  I also expect that NBC Sports has a huge say in the upcoming Thursday Night Package the NFL is purposing as well. If they land to NFL and we get on the ground floor with them then guess what. NBC Sports will be pretty much on the same level as ESPN and with the NFL in even more livingrooms.

Bingo! It's a no brainer for NBC Sports to secure the NFL Thursday Night Package for 2012 and beyond. They already have the 2 highest profile games on opening weekend (Thurs opener featuring Super Bowl champ & Sunday Night game). It's easy to promote the Thursday night game on NBC Sports during those 2 games.

Then there's NBC Sports saying they want the Big East. I guarantee you that they'd love to add any of the 3 of KU, KSU, Mizzou, VaTech, UVA, Miami, Clemson, etc. and will pay us handsomely to do so.

This is why I believe the Big East is in a position of power right now.
08-12-2011 01:31 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

The only downside to NBC getting an NFL game, is that if we have one spotlight weekday game per week, it has to be on a night other than Thursday, which has become accepted as like a Monday Night for the NFL. So we'd probably have to either do Wednesday, or make Big Monday a year 'round event, and make it a Monday game (I realize it would go up against Monday Night football, but then again, the games on ESPN are going up against Thursday Night football and two other games on their own network). The third option is to get really bold and have a game on Sunday afternoon at 7:00 as sort of a bridge between the afternoon NFL game and the Sunday Night game.
08-12-2011 02:18 PM
Metropolis777 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TCU
(08-12-2011 02:18 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  The only downside to NBC getting an NFL game, is that if we have one spotlight weekday game per week, it has to be on a night other than Thursday, which has become accepted as like a Monday Night for the NFL. So we'd probably have to either do Wednesday, or make Big Monday a year 'round event, and make it a Monday game (I realize it would go up against Monday Night football, but then again, the games on ESPN are going up against Thursday Night football and two other games on their own network). The third option is to get really bold and have a game on Sunday afternoon at 7:00 as sort of a bridge between the afternoon NFL game and the Sunday Night game.

1. We don't need a "spotlight" weekday game per week. Unless you're on ESPN, these weekday games haven't done any good. I'd rather play on Saturday.
  2. The Thursday Night NFL package will only be for weeks 2-9. That means if we really want Thursday night games, we can still have them starting the second week of November.

Ideally, we'd have a package with a guaranteed game on the big NBC each week (noon or 7:30 start when Notre Dame has a home game or 3:30 start when Notre Dame is on the road or barnstorming). Then we'd have a guaranteed 3:30 or 7:30 game on NBC Sports either before or after the MWC game on there each week. Fill out the rest of the NBC Sports schedule with more games and fill the RSNs or a Big East Network with the rest.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2011 02:29 PM by Metropolis777.)
08-12-2011 02:29 PM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(08-12-2011 02:18 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  The only downside to NBC getting an NFL game, is that if we have one spotlight weekday game per week, it has to be on a night other than Thursday, which has become accepted as like a Monday Night for the NFL. So we'd probably have to either do Wednesday, or make Big Monday a year 'round event, and make it a Monday game (I realize it would go up against Monday Night football, but then again, the games on ESPN are going up against Thursday Night football and two other games on their own network). The third option is to get really bold and have a game on Sunday afternoon at 7:00 as sort of a bridge between the afternoon NFL game and the Sunday Night game.

Here the thing, with the NFL going to having a weekly Thursday Night Game of the Week on either NBC Sports, ESPN or Turner from weeks 1-9 and with the NFL Network taking over from weeks 10-17 the College Thursday Night game is going to get somewhat buried.

I would much rather have the doubleheaded on NBC either before or after the Notre Dame game and the rest on NBC Sports. including a Saturday game.
08-12-2011 02:33 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(08-12-2011 02:29 PM)Metropolis777 Wrote:  [*]We don't need a "spotlight" weekday game per week. Unless you're on ESPN, these weekday games haven't done any good. I'd rather play on Saturday.

Spotlight games have been very good to the Big East. And, the network itself likely would want them.

(08-12-2011 02:29 PM)Metropolis777 Wrote:  [*]The Thursday Night NFL package will only be for weeks 2-9. That means if we really want Thursday night games, we can still have them starting the second week of November.

Psst, after week nine, the games just move to NFL network. Then you are still competing against the NFL, and three games on ESPN. Plus after week nine, there are only 2 or 3 weeks left in the college season.

As for timeslots, you are unlikely to see too many games on NBC OTA, as they want to build up the cable network (and the subscriber fees they can collect). The good thing is you are likely to see the Big East get both afternoon timeslots and the primetime game many weeks, save for if ND has a game there. I think you will see some ND games on NBC Sports as well, as that is something Comcast has said they were looking to do .
08-12-2011 02:39 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-12-2011 02:39 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(08-12-2011 02:29 PM)Metropolis777 Wrote:  [*]We don't need a "spotlight" weekday game per week. Unless you're on ESPN, these weekday games haven't done any good. I'd rather play on Saturday.

Spotlight games have been very good to the Big East. And, the network itself likely would want them.

(08-12-2011 02:29 PM)Metropolis777 Wrote:  [*]The Thursday Night NFL package will only be for weeks 2-9. That means if we really want Thursday night games, we can still have them starting the second week of November.

Psst, after week nine, the games just move to NFL network. Then you are still competing against the NFL, and three games on ESPN. Plus after week nine, there are only 2 or 3 weeks left in the college season.

As for timeslots, you are unlikely to see too many games on NBC OTA, as they want to build up the cable network (and the subscriber fees they can collect). The good thing is you are likely to see the Big East get both afternoon timeslots and the primetime game many weeks, save for if ND has a game there. I think you will see some ND games on NBC Sports as well, as that is something Comcast has said they were looking to do .

Louisville made its bones on Thursday nights when the big boys wouldn't play. It's funny now that some of the biggest college match-ups of the year are Thursday night games and the NFL is getting on board that train too.
08-12-2011 02:48 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
NBC already broadcasts ND home games. They are going to move one ND game per year to Versus (NBC Sports) in an attempt to prop up that channel and get it into more households.

The quoted article goes on to say:

"The new channel, which debuts Jan. 2, will offer a full slate live sports, rebroadcasts of games from other NBC networks and a nightly news and talk program."

I imagine these "rebroadcasts" would only include old NFL and Notre Dame games, correct? What else would NBC have to rebroadcast?

I think that the Big East and Notre Dame would complement each other well in providing content to NBC and/or NBC Sports.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2011 03:46 PM by TerryD.)
08-12-2011 03:15 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Careful guys... Naysayers arrival in... 3... 2... 1...
08-12-2011 03:26 PM
Advertisement

billyjack Offline
1st String

I Root For: Providence
I don't know enough about it all, but generally (and from what you guys have described) I think a deal with NBC sounds good at this point too. I definitely dislike having BE hoops games pushed off ESPN or ESPN2 in favor of the suckitude of Big Ten hoops. I'd rather that the Big East be the top college proirity of a hungry, growing channel. And NBC always had the best sports. Maybe they can get Enberg to do a couple of BE football games in October after the Padres' season ends, and hoops (he was awesome with Al McGuire a lifetime ago). The Big East has never been afraid to set their own course/ break new ground/ be innovative.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2011 03:52 PM by billyjack.)
08-12-2011 03:50 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Mike Mayock is terrific as the replacement color analyst for Pat Haden on NBC's Notre Dame games.

Tom Hammonds should star in a George Romero film about the walking dead. He is horrible and looks like death.

If they are not doing the ND game, they might be the crew handling some of the BE games.

Who else does NBC use for their NFL games? Chris Collingsworth?
08-12-2011 03:53 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Yes, Collinsworth is the guy. He's one of my favorites, Bengal-bias aside. He really does know his stuff.

From what I understand, he got booted from the ND telecasts because he was too objective and critical of ND's coaches.
08-12-2011 04:28 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
If you were at all objective, you had to criticise ND's coaches, mlb...
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2011 04:33 PM by bitcruncher.)
08-12-2011 04:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.