Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Best media quote I have seen about the direction of the BE since the raid
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Best media quote I have seen about the direction of the BE since the raid
Quote:

I had a long talk with Steve Pederson today about what it is exactly that he and Oliver Luck and the rest of the athletic directors from football-playing schools really want and he made it simple -- they want a league where every single year they don't have to worry about losing members to other leagues and that means they need long-term stability

Amen....

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/inde...-media-day

Jackson
08-02-2011 07:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
RE: Best media quote I have seen about the direction of the BE since the raid
I'm an on and off critic of Oliver, but he's spot on there.
08-02-2011 07:52 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(08-02-2011 07:42 PM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  
Quote:

I had a long talk with Steve Pederson today about what it is exactly that he and Oliver Luck and the rest of the athletic directors from football-playing schools really want and he made it simple -- they want a league where every single year they don't have to worry about losing members to other leagues and that means they need long-term stability

Amen....

Jackson

For most BCS Conferences, thats never a problem...but its a seemingly never ending worry for the Big East.

Think they really want a true all-sports conf, if possible, or at worst, 12 football playing members in a real 12 team football conf with hybrid members for hoops.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2011 08:30 PM by KnightLight.)
08-02-2011 08:30 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
I hope everyone has read and re-read this.

1)The catholic schools are as one (or for all which is pretty close to definition of catholic). One goes they all do, NO PARTIAL hybrids
2) The FB SCHOOLS cant agree on how to proceed.THEY dont want the usual CUSA candidates (other than ucf which has mixed reviews)

i am convinced the BE has discussed with the so called experts what they could expect $$$$$ wise for every combination of the established 17(tcu) plus 3 of the following.
BC, UMD,KANSAS, KSTATE,MIZZOU IOWA ST,MIAMI,BYU,UCF,ECU,NAVY
Can they make it happen?

i really wish this discussion would end once and for all
08-02-2011 09:43 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Oliver Luck is spot on! 04-rock
08-02-2011 09:47 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(08-02-2011 09:43 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  I hope everyone has read and re-read this.

1)The catholic schools are as one (or for all which is pretty close to definition of catholic). One goes they all do, NO PARTIAL hybrids
2) The FB SCHOOLS cant agree on how to proceed.THEY dont want the usual CUSA candidates (other than ucf which has mixed reviews)

i am convinced the BE has discussed with the so called experts what they could expect $$$$$ wise for every combination of the established 17(tcu) plus 3 of the following.
Can they make it happen?

I wouldnt be too sure on your point #1. If you think Nova and Gtown would turn down a chance to stay attached with the football schools to help Providence and Seton Hall then I think you are missing the importance for those two schools that their basketball programs remain in atop conference
08-02-2011 09:50 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
God bless Luck and Pederson and the rest of the football schools. We're finally going to put up a serious fight!
08-02-2011 10:17 PM
The Brown Bull Offline
usf97

I Root For: USF
(08-02-2011 09:50 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  
(08-02-2011 09:43 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  I hope everyone has read and re-read this.

Can they make it happen?

I wouldnt be too sure on your point #1. If you think Nova and Gtown would turn down a chance to stay attached with the football schools to help Providence and Seton Hall then I think you are missing the importance for those two schools that their basketball programs remain in atop conference

I think it is just a game of chicken. The BB schools know if they stick together there will be no option to kick anyone out unless the football schools are willing to go it alone.

Thus far, the FB schools have not shown a willingness to do this.....if they did.....I am sure the BB solidarity would falter.
08-02-2011 10:42 PM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
Another point to make here, the basketball school are in fact the ones that wanted to sign off early on the ESPN deal, and the football schools pulled them back. There has been some confusion about that decision on who did what, and this article with information from two AD's should help solidfy who was doing what here.
08-02-2011 11:03 PM
RUfan03 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers, MCC
(08-02-2011 07:42 PM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  
Quote:

Amen....

Jackson

I agree. Lets drink to that!04-cheers
08-02-2011 11:06 PM
uconnbaseball Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Divorce, Rivals
The Parliament Awards
Agreed! Though without a HUGE TV deal, I'm not sure it's possible to stop teams like WVU from entertaining an SEC offer. We might be able to stave off the ACC though.
08-02-2011 11:52 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

If the Big East cuts four of the eight catholic basketball schools, and adds the right three football schools, resulting in the 12/16 configuration, why would anybody want to leave at that point? 05-stirthepot
08-03-2011 06:45 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(08-02-2011 09:50 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  

Can they make it happen?

Ding!

$$$ in the end, plus a much better hoop conf will carry the most weight in the end.
08-03-2011 07:52 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
If all the old eastern indies are finally getting on the same page, we could see an all-sports conference in the very near future...
08-03-2011 08:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Hope so 04-cheers
08-03-2011 08:52 AM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
I like thsi quote:

"But Pederson isn't interested in adding just anyone, nor is the rest of the conference, which is where this could get very interesting because behind closed doors, there are less discussions about the Central Florida, Memphis, Southern Miss, Marshall, Army, Navy-type teams (you know, the ones which are always thrown out there) and more about the teams which may be ripe to be plucked from their current conferences for whatever reason."

It's a relief to know for sure that the issue of expansion is more about "who" than whether to do so in the first place. Basically, if someone shows the are ready for AQ BCS football, they will be considered.

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2011 09:11 AM by HtownOrange.)
08-03-2011 09:04 AM
Advertisement

HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
It was also refreshing to see this quote:

"The basketball schools said let's jump at it, Big East commissioner John Marinatto was on board, and Pederson and the football schools stepped in and said "we can do better."

"There was division, there was some arguing, there was some splintering UNTIL Comcast/NBC got into the game and began driving prices up to the point where the Pac-12 got $3 billion over 12 years.

"That's when everybody in the conference got on board and said, "let's wait this thing out" - and now the Big East is the last of the major conferences without a new deal which means it has some leverage on NBC/Comcast since the network is desperate to get into the college sports business."

Basketball schools wanted the ESPN deal and then the football schools put the brakes on. Once everyone saw the PAC 12 deal, they were ALL back on the same page! All wanted to wait and test the waters.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2011 09:12 AM by HtownOrange.)
08-03-2011 09:08 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(08-03-2011 09:04 AM)HtownOrange Wrote:  I like thsi quote:

"But Pederson isn't interested in adding just anyone, nor is the rest of the conference, which is where this could get very interesting because behind closed doors, there are less discussions about the Central Florida, Memphis, Southern Miss, Marshall, Army, Navy-type teams (you know, the ones which are always thrown out there) and more about the teams which may be ripe to be plucked from their current conferences for whatever reason."

It's a relief to know for sure that the issue of expansion is more about "who" than whether to do so in the first place. Basically, if someone shows the are ready for AQ BCS football, they will be considered.

Could be the league is working on Kansas, Kansas State, Mizzouri as the additions and thats where they are thinking 19-23 mill range. Those schools are making less than that in the Big12-2 and certaintly are not happy about the situation.
It will be interesting to see what we ended up with, theyll have to come up with a plan by next summer
08-03-2011 09:10 AM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(08-02-2011 09:43 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  1)The catholic schools are as one (or for all which is pretty close to definition of catholic). One goes they all do, NO PARTIAL hybrids

You don't know these schools well, do you?

And BTW, the definition of the word "catholic" (small c) is "universal", not "for all".
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2011 09:21 AM by DFW HOYA.)
08-03-2011 09:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(08-02-2011 11:03 PM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  Another point to make here, the basketball school are in fact the ones that wanted to sign off early on the ESPN deal, and the football schools pulled them back. There has been some confusion about that decision on who did what, and this article with information from two AD's should help solidfy who was doing what here.

This seems to be the common perception, but the SportsBusiness Daily article about how the Big East turned the ESPN extension down says exactly otherwise. It was specifically reported that the 4 BE schools that voted against the deal were Rutgers, Georgetown, Notre Dame and Seton Hall (who might be in the weakest position of them all as a secondary school in a market that the BE already has covered and badly needs cash):

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journ...-Fees.aspx

So, 3 of the 4 schools that actually voted against the deal (not just supposedly voiced skepticism) were Catholic schools. That's completely the opposite of what a lot of BE FB school fans seem to want to believe.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that BE basketball still makes more TV money than BE football. When Comcast/NBC execs just talked about their interest in bidding for the BE, they mentioned the quality of basketball. As a result, it's the basketball side that doesn't need to rush into a deal, and that was reflected in the initial vote. It's the football side that needed more cash yesterday because that's where the financial arms race is taking place.

Regardless, it's all water under the bridge at this point. Once the terms of the Pac-12 deal came out, everyone is now on the same page that it's likely a better idea to take the TV rights to the open market next year.
08-03-2011 09:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.