Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NBC is interested in BE's media rights
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
NBC is interested in BE's media rights
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpage/n...1CZTopZLSP

Quote:Lazarus says his fledgling network intends to actively pursue the rights to Big East Conference sports – the backbone of ESPN programming in its early years.
"We are very interested in talking to the Big East," he says. "It is preeminent college basketball — among the top divisions in the sport."
NBC Sports Network want to step in if the Big East is feeling lost in ESPN’s big schedule.
"We think we can provide an outlet for some of those people who may not have been as shining a star as they once were," he says.

Funny some of the same stuff some of us been saying is being repeated by the NBC execs. For football, it is time for the BE to leave ESPN for better exposure.
08-02-2011 01:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
RE: NBC is interested in BE's media rights
(08-02-2011 01:32 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  Funny some of the same stuff some of us been saying is being repeated by the NBC execs. For football, it is time for the BE to leave ESPN for better exposure.

But, the key is they are also drooling over Big East basketball. Most likely, you have to move both. And while I am all ion favor of that, don't think you can get NBC or someone to take BE football, but still get ESPN basketball exposure. They will want both or neither.
08-02-2011 01:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
To be honest, I wouldn't mind remaining on ESPN's schedule for MBK. Football can move, I'm for that, particularly if the conference can move towards a Saturday TV schedule. After this season, NSN will only have the MWC and the occasional Ivy League game. It is possible that Notre Dame will have a football game or two on the channel as well.

I want to see how many nights a week the NHL takes up on NSN too. Lucky for the Big East, they'll know that before the rights hit the market.

I believe I read somewhere that Giants PxP guy Bob Papa would be working for Versus on their schedule, plus he would likely fill in for Tom Hammond on the USF-ND game as Hammond would be at the World Track & Field Championships that weekend.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2011 01:42 PM by mattsarz.)
08-02-2011 01:39 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(08-02-2011 01:32 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpage/n...1CZTopZLSP

Quote:Lazarus says his fledgling network intends to actively pursue the rights to Big East Conference sports – the backbone of ESPN programming in its early years.
"We are very interested in talking to the Big East," he says. "It is preeminent college basketball — among the top divisions in the sport."
NBC Sports Network want to step in if the Big East is feeling lost in ESPN’s big schedule.
"We think we can provide an outlet for some of those people who may not have been as shining a star as they once were," he says.

Funny some of the same stuff some of us been saying is being repeated by the NBC execs. For football, it is time for the BE to leave ESPN for better exposure.

Great find Husky. The best move that the BE ever made was to spurn ESPN's offer. Folks who think that the BE made a mistake are now seeing why the BE turned down ESPN's offer. I cant wait until the league finally gets a new deal.
08-02-2011 01:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cardshouse Offline
UofL 4 Playoff!

I Root For: UofL Cardinals
If this is the case could Notre Dame become a full member..It only makes $ense. Uncle Jimmy thinks so.
08-02-2011 01:42 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(08-02-2011 01:42 PM)cardshouse Wrote:  If this is the case could Notre Dame become a full member..It only makes $ense. Uncle Jimmy thinks so.

Nope. Lets worry about ourselves in football. They do their thing, we do ours.
08-02-2011 01:43 PM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
05-deadhorse (post 5)
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2011 01:53 PM by Ring of Black.)
08-02-2011 01:52 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

ND will never join BE for football. Frankly, I have no desire to have UCONN associated with a school that wants its own Texas deal. If ND wants to come, they have to come as an equal partner which will never happen. We should forget about ND for football now or in the future.
08-02-2011 01:56 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(08-02-2011 01:52 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  05-deadhorse (post 5)

Lmao.......No kidding......

BTW, if UConn could have its own "Texas deal" (or ND NBC deal), my opinion is that they would, in a second (any school would jump at the chance).

But, that is just my opinion.
08-02-2011 02:10 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-02-2011 02:10 PM)TerryD Wrote:  
(08-02-2011 01:52 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  05-deadhorse (post 5)

Lmao.......No kidding......

BTW, if UConn could have its own "Texas deal" (or ND NBC deal), my opinion is that they would, in a second (any school would jump at the chance).

But, that is just my opinion.

You are probably right, but that does not mean it is good for a conference. All you have to do is look at the B12 to see why that's the case. Any group with one member dominating the group will never work long term. At some point, someone will be pissed plus other members will always look for better deals elsewhere.

ND in the BE for basketball is fine provided ND will help out with other stuff like the new TV deal etc. ND should stay independent because it is seen as the national Catholic university in the USA.

As for UCONN, I just want to see we are in a conference with similar peers. Our president like to see us as one of the top public universities in the country and we are on our way. Our incoming applications for students is up 30% last year with acceptance rate down to 40%. It is getting a lot closer to UNC (32%) and UVA (32%).
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2011 02:22 PM by SF Husky.)
08-02-2011 02:16 PM
cardshouse Offline
UofL 4 Playoff!

I Root For: UofL Cardinals
(08-02-2011 01:43 PM)mattsarz Wrote:  
(08-02-2011 01:42 PM)cardshouse Wrote:  If this is the case could Notre Dame become a full member..It only makes $ense. Uncle Jimmy thinks so.

Nope. Lets worry about ourselves in football. They do their thing, we do ours.

Agree+
08-02-2011 02:27 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

[Image: obama-what-me-worry.jpg]
08-02-2011 03:25 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I'd take an exclusive with NBC....and ND full membership with it
08-02-2011 04:06 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(08-02-2011 04:06 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I'd take an exclusive with NBC....and ND full membership with it

A nice NBC/Comcast deal for the Big East is a definite possibility.

Full membership for ND is not.....
08-02-2011 04:09 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGHH!!!!!!

Is it in the fricking water???

05-deadhorse
08-02-2011 04:14 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I would prefer Turner myself. They have more nationally ready channels available. I would not mind Comcast if some Saturday games were either on NBC or USA Network, along with Versus.
08-02-2011 04:15 PM
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(08-02-2011 04:15 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  I would prefer Turner myself. They have more nationally ready channels available. I would not mind Comcast if some Saturday games were either on NBC or USA Network, along with Versus.

I can go with that.
08-02-2011 04:28 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I will take anyone except ABC / ESPN. Let's see them try to broadcast college basketball while ignoring The Big East basketball they way they have Big East football. I would pay extra just for the opportunity to tell ESPN to shove it.
CJ
08-02-2011 04:43 PM
Kaiser Frog Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TCU
Getting football away from ESPN is a must. Can't keep having the Big East's best games played on Thursday nights.

I'm biased towards getting the best deal for football, but is splitting our basketball right further an option? I know we have like 73 of 142 conference games on a combination of the ESPNs, CBS, and CBSsports. I'd think there'd be enough to satisfy NBCsports as well as maintain some ESPN, CBS exposure.
08-02-2011 05:18 PM
Kaiser Frog Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TCU
(08-02-2011 04:43 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I will take anyone except ABC / ESPN. Let's see them try to broadcast college basketball while ignoring The Big East basketball they way they have Big East football. I would pay extra just for the opportunity to tell ESPN to shove it.
CJ

I'd love that except knowing ESPN, they have a tendency to ignore sports they don't control. So they'd probably ignore mens basketball altogether and start promoting womens fly-swatting in it's place.

I hate ESPN, but spite is not a business strategy.
08-02-2011 05:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.