Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Texas A&M paysite articles speculating on SEC (Merged)
EerMeNow Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
Texas A&M
http://kansasstate.scout.com/2/1086147.html

Anyone want to change his/her position on super-conferences?
07-13-2011 02:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: Texas A&M
Gene Stallings was pushing this the last go-around. The argument is that UT will run the Big 12 to its own liking, so A&M and Oklahoma should give Austin the one finger salute and pair up with the SEC.

Agreed that Kyle Field has issues in that south end zone because they built too close to it.
07-13-2011 02:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
If A&M had pulled the trigger on this a year ago I wonder how things would look today?
07-13-2011 02:35 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
article quote..."I’d have to say that there is not an eminent deal "

i'd guess texas a&M will always keep the sec card in its pocket in order to insure the longhorns don't F around too much with them, ie if they get too greedy, a&M bolts. ANother thing, why the hell would the sec take clemson to pair with texas a&M, they already own the scar market...makes more sense to get wvu or even missouri, they could play in the sec east, to get to 14. If the sec wants an overlap school, Georgia tech makes much more sense, clemson? i'd take Louisville way over clemson , if i'm running the sec. As for the big 12, i think they need to expand back to 12 asap to keep their gig together, bring in byu and whoever.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2011 02:49 PM by bluesox.)
07-13-2011 02:37 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I actually agree with the A&M people that this model is not sustainable for them or Oklahoma. For everyone else it will work just fine but for the big boys this Longhorn Network is probably a very bad deal.

That said, I think A&M would be crazy to leave for the SEC all by itself. It would have to bring at least one other B12 school with it and it should probably try to bring three others with it. OU, OSU and TTU perhaps? At least OU and OSU.

As for an eastern school, I have no idea why the SEC would prefer Clemson over Florida State? I know that Clemson brings an SEC type of environment but Florida is such a larger, wealthier state and FSU's history and potential is so much higher than Clemson's.

Finally, I think Texas would love for the B12 to fall apart as that would free them up to go Indie. They could then schedule whomever they wanted and get most of the revs from that.

I think single school television contracts for schools that are in conferences are a TERRIBLE idea and they will absolutely destabilize the entire landscape.
07-13-2011 02:58 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
That article assumes at least two things that are almost certainly not true: 1) The SEC has made an offer to A&M that remains open forever; 2) A&M, if it ever receives an offer from the SEC, is free to move on their own any time they want to and nothing in Texas politics will stop them.

The assertion that the SEC would invite Clemson is also not plausible. If the SEC were to invite a school in a state that the SEC already "occupies", then Florida State >>> Clemson. Heck, Georgia Tech would probably be more likely than Clemson, and GT would have the added advantage of not making SEC football more difficult than it already is.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2011 03:02 PM by Wedge.)
07-13-2011 03:01 PM
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Also, let's say that the B12 did break up and Texas did go Indie. I still don't quite understand how adding Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, Baylor, etc., helps the Big East at all in football? I can absolutely understand their basketball appeal - particularly that of KU - but historically speaking, in football they are basically as good as our middle or lower tier.

I mean what bowl game is going to say, "You know we never really cared for the Big East because of your weak football program but now that you have Kansas and Iowa State, look out!"
07-13-2011 03:03 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
Well there is the possibility that Clemson is the only one worth having that is willing to come over. GT left the SEC so it may not wish to return (or the SEC would not accept them) and FSU may not wish to leave. Still I don't think this is that accurate.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2011 03:04 PM by Sultan of Euphonistan.)
07-13-2011 03:04 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(07-13-2011 02:25 PM)EerMeNow Wrote:  http://kansasstate.scout.com/2/1086147.html

A story that has more meat than most stuff posted here. +1 for posting.

The structure of the B12-2 has been stacked way too much in favor of UTA, with its allowance for the Longhorn Network deal.

Ordinarily, the door would not be open for SEC adds in the middle of a TV deal. However, the SEC has been caught off guard by B12-2 Tier 2 deal and the new P12 deal and needs a reason if it wants to reopen its existing deals. Adding TAMU would give them a reason to open discussions.

Interesting comment that Clemson is in the wings waiting to come along. I had speculated FSU. While FSU is more valuable, Clemson is more willing. Some articles last year had speculated OU, but OU appears committed to staying with UTA.

Presumably the B12-2 would need to backfill for a TAMU departure. The ACC would definitely need to backfill for a Clemson departure. This opens the door to further raids of the BE. TCU, UL and/or UC could be considerations for the B12-2, and SU, WVU, Pitt, Rutgers and UConn could be considerations for the ACC. The BE needs to get a great TV deal done to prevent such raids.

The wild card in all of this is ESPN. ESPN is a partner in the Longhorn Network, holds a majority of the SEC TV rights, and all of the ACC rights. They will bid on the BE rights and the B12-2 Tier 1 rights. They may not want to pay more for Clemson and TAMU than they already are. However, if both the B12-2 and BE were to go to other networks, they could very well open their wallets for both the SEC and ACC to increase their current deals for new schools.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2011 03:40 PM by orangefan.)
07-13-2011 03:04 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
I am not surprised at all by this. Texas is building its own little empire and they could careless about other B12 schools-it is as if other B12 schools are there just to make Texas look good cause Texas needs some opponents they can beat up on. Seriously, B12 is being held together right now by bunch of duct tapes and there is nothing anyone can do to fix it. There will no equal playing field for other B12 schools now or in the future.

If A&M does pull the trigger, we can finally see some major movement. I suspect Texas will then pull the trigger and go indy.
07-13-2011 03:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nuftw Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Northwestern
(07-13-2011 02:25 PM)EerMeNow Wrote:  http://kansasstate.scout.com/2/1086147.html

Ignoring the eminent/imminent and insure/ensure issues in the article, the author forgets a simple point: Texas politics will not allow Texas A&M to leave the conference. If A&M's refusal to go to the Pac-10 can stop Texas, and Baylor can force its way into the Big 12, UT can certainly stop A&M.
07-13-2011 03:22 PM
Advertisement

Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
Again and again and again I say, the best thing to ever happen to TCU sports was to get out from underneath Texas' huge shadow. The other schools in the Big 12-2 are too stupid to see it.

Texas is in it only for themselves, period. They always have been and always will be. We all have to look out for our own best interest, but there are times you must be a part of the team. Texas will only play by their rules. Conference be damned.
07-13-2011 03:25 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

(07-13-2011 03:10 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  If A&M does pull the trigger, we can finally see some major movement. I suspect Texas will then pull the trigger and go indy.

Alternatively, they could look to join the P12, presumably along with OU, OSU and TTU to provide a TX-OK cluster.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2011 03:29 PM by orangefan.)
07-13-2011 03:25 PM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
(07-13-2011 03:22 PM)nuftw Wrote:  

Ignoring the eminent/imminent and insure/ensure issues in the article, the author forgets a simple point: Texas politics will not allow Texas A&M to leave the conference. If A&M's refusal to go to the Pac-10 can stop Texas, and Baylor can force its way into the Big 12, UT can certainly stop A&M.

All that has to happen is for ESPN to calm A&M's fears about the use of the network. If ESPN is as strongly against superconferences as has been reported, this can be easily accomplished and bankrolled if need be.

Its still a lot to think about.
07-13-2011 03:27 PM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
(07-13-2011 03:10 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  I suspect Texas will then pull the trigger and go indy.

Extremely unlikely. Tons of legit reasons that won't happen any time soon.
07-13-2011 03:29 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(07-13-2011 03:01 PM)Wedge Wrote:  That article assumes at least two things that are almost certainly not true: 1) The SEC has made an offer to A&M that remains open forever; 2) A&M, if it ever receives an offer from the SEC, is free to move on their own any time they want to and nothing in Texas politics will stop them.

The assertion that the SEC would invite Clemson is also not plausible. If the SEC were to invite a school in a state that the SEC already "occupies", then Florida State >>> Clemson. Heck, Georgia Tech would probably be more likely than Clemson, and GT would have the added advantage of not making SEC football more difficult than it already is.
If Texas A&M wants to join the SEC, an invite will be there. Trust me on this one. The SEC would take the Aggies in a heart beat...

Also, there's no way Florida wants any competition to their supremacy in the State of Florida. Them being the only Florida school in the nation's best football conference assures that. So you can forget FSU...

Georgia Tech used to be an SEC member and left. They have no desire to return...

Clemson has an SEC mentality. But they aren't a candidate on the same level as A&M. The Aggies are a no brainer...
07-13-2011 03:36 PM
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-13-2011 03:25 PM)orangefan Wrote:  
(07-13-2011 03:10 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  If A&M does pull the trigger, we can finally see some major movement. I suspect Texas will then pull the trigger and go indy.

Alternatively, they could look to join the P12, presumably along with OU, OSU and TTU to provide a TX-OK cluster.

True, but you know there is NO WAY Texas will go to the PAC-12 and expect to be treated just another conference member. They would want their own special deal etc.

I believe LHN is signed for 10+ years. Texas is headed for independence and that's their best option. Rest of the B12 gonna have to look for their own life jackets elsewhere.
07-13-2011 03:38 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
The problem is that most of the Big 12 schools are scared to death of losing their AQ BCS status. Because of that, they are desperate and willing to make huge concessions to UT to stay in their conference so they have a BCS home.

That doesn't work out so well for schools like A&M who may lack UT's star power but is still one of the best athletic programs in the NCAA, has a huge following, makes money instead of losing it and is desired by other conferences, and most all, wants to compete for and win titles.

THEY don't want Texas having all the advantages the others are so ready to give to them out of fear for their own safety, but they are grossly outnumbered politically.

So even if you can't be top dog inbthe SEC, at least it isn't because the SEC is actively trying to stack the deck in favor of Alabama at the expense of everyone else.
07-13-2011 03:41 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-13-2011 03:29 PM)Sammy11 Wrote:  
(07-13-2011 03:10 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  I suspect Texas will then pull the trigger and go indy.

Extremely unlikely. Tons of legit reasons that won't happen any time soon.

Not if enough other B12 schools decided to say F U to Texas and bail. Texas will hold this cluster f**k together as long as other B12 schools let them. A&M might be the first to bail. I am not sure what OU is thinking but it can't be anything positive.

There is always a possibility that P12 expands and take 4 B12 schools without Texas. I doubt it, but it is one big possibility.

It is up to the other B12 schools to stand up to Texas. If they all want to be Texas' bi*ches, I guess B12 will stay together.
07-13-2011 03:42 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

(07-13-2011 03:38 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  
(07-13-2011 03:25 PM)orangefan Wrote:  

True, but you know there is NO WAY Texas will go to the PAC-12 and expect to be treated just another conference member. They would want their own special deal etc.

I believe LHN is signed for 10+ years. Texas is headed for independence and that's their best option. Rest of the B12 gonna have to look for their own life jackets elsewhere.

There are enough of schools, including most of the B12-2, willing to let UTA have their way so that independence would remain unnecessary. If TAMU left, there would be a line at the door for their conference slot. SMU, Memphis or UH would sign up in a heart beat. BYU already has its own network and may be able to take advantage of the B12-2 TV structure. Depending on the outcome of the BE TV deal, there may be BE members willing to bolt. East Carolina, the school and all of its fans, might even relocate to East Texas!

(07-13-2011 03:42 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  If they all want to be Texas' bi*ches, I guess B12 will stay together.

I almost said this, but then thought it may be too harsh. +1.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2011 07:49 AM by orangefan.)
07-13-2011 03:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.