06-11-2011 10:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
RE: Interesting Beltline read
Building the "Northern Beltway" through the underdeveloped hinterlands of north Jeffco has the same appeal for taxpayers as building Interstate extensions through west Alabama and the western Black Belt. The more prosperous segments of our voting public simply are not interested. The only ones of them who give any "flips" would be those who might profit by investing in right-of-way property bought up through their inside info contacts to be resold to the state at a good profit. How long ago was that N-S 4-lane road proposed from north Alabama down toward Mobile through west Alabama?
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2011 03:57 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
06-11-2011 01:56 PM
MAN4UAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
I am curious as to whether or not the original I-459 section caused as much protest. I don't seem to remember anyone fighting the building of that segment of the I-59 to I-65 loop. It seems to me that the same reasons used to build that section would also apply to the northern portion. I assume that one of those reasons is to keep "pass-through" traffic out of the city center.
06-12-2011 07:13 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I can't speak to the arguments against 459, because I just don't remember, but one big argument against the northern belt (at least in its current proposed configuration) it will get dangerously close to the Cahaba River's head waters, for no particularly good reason. ALDOT has promised that they would be really really careful, and there would be some comfort in that if ALDOT didn't **** up everything it touched.

Also, reading that article, it seems the interested parties don't place much of a priority on environmental impact.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm no tree-huggin' greenie, but on the other hand, let's not get stupid.
06-12-2011 09:42 AM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
The only real problem that delayed I-459 was that the state saw it as serving Jeffco so ALDOT and Gov. Wallace had it (along with all the other Interstate link-ups) put on the "slow track" except for the portion that ran from US 31 to US 280 which John Harbert wanted completed quickly since he had major money invested in developing Riverchase. To that end, he donated the money for a "chair" at UAB in Wallace's name and Wallace gave the go-ahead to complete that section of I-459 early which is why that section bears Harbert's name today.

The effect of building I-459 on the Cahaba River may have been discussed since it has at least two bridges over that same river on its route today, but I don't recall it coming up in the press coverage of the day. How would such construction farther up stream have greater effect than it does at the "Liberty Exit" area of I-459 today?
06-12-2011 11:34 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
Quote:I don't recall it coming up in the press coverage of the day

That's because the fight at the time was over a pack of well-funded idiots who wanted to bulldoze the watershed and cover both shores of Lake Purdy with subdivisions. The interstate, then under construction, was a minor consideration next to that.
06-12-2011 06:07 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I Root For: UAB
I live north of the 'Ham and don't want any beltline built.

It is pure hell whenever I travel south of town & I don't want to experience anything like that north of town.
06-13-2011 07:55 AM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(06-13-2011 07:55 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  I live north of the 'Ham and don't want any beltline built.

It is pure hell whenever I travel south of town & I don't want to experience anything like that north of town.

How old will you be in 50 years? That is how long it took for the south-of-town traffic to reach its present congestion. One of the reasons it has developed to its present state is that it passes through two of the most wealthy and therefore politically powerful cities in this state, Mountain Brook and Vestavia Hills. (Note that ZERO Interstates pass through either city -- US280 existed prior to either city becoming so powerful or it might not be there either) Until a similar city as these two develops in north Jeffco, you will have less power to control the roads placed there.
06-13-2011 04:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.