Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why Businesses Fail--Will the Big East Fail
MrP3242 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U.Cincinnati
Exclamation Why Businesses Fail--Will the Big East Fail
Why Businesses fail or will the Big East Survive?
1. Capital/Revenue: Insufficient revenue to be competitive. Future TV contract?
2. Planning: Lack of having a specific business plan. What are we going to be in the future?
3. Product: Old product and adverse to change. Present culture.
4. Dysfunctional Management: Throw fighting partners or unhappy relatives into the mix and you have a disaster.
5. Operational Inefficiencies: Not having the stomach to negotiate terms that are reflective of todays economy may leave a company uncompetitive.
6. Owners: Who can't get out of their own way, stubborn, risk adverse. Meaning they need to be liked by everyone.
7. Buzz Kill: You don't get honest feedback from friends and family.
8. Ego Business vs. Business Opportunity: To satisfy the ego's of a few vs. filling the need of the market place or having a perspective of the Big Picture.
9. Focus: Focusing on short term profits and goals rather than long term value.
10. Understanding competitors, poor inventory management, low revenue, staffing with quality people.
11. Adopting: Inability to adopt to a changing marketplace.
12. Customer Base: Having a divirsefied customer base. ECU, UCF and Houston or SMU.
13. Marketing: Insufficient marketing or promotion.
14. Location and Partners: Local community receptiveness to a new business/member or prospective site. We have a number of communities interested in our product
15. Industry Experience: Managed by people without prior industry experience.
16. History: Oh, we have been doing it this way for 30 uears and have been successful. Adverse to change.
After reading the answers to my Thread Theme. Treat it like a business. I see why the Big East is having problems. Now I see why it is difficult to change the culture of a successful old business. People get stuck in a rut and adverse to change. Even if it means going out of business. ( NCR for example ) I hope the Big East can work out their problems or they are going to head down the wrong road. 12 and 18,19,20 and a CCG or bust. MrP3242
06-06-2011 08:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Why Businesses Fail--Will the Big East Fail
The BE will not fail; rather, the question is how high up its success will go. It already looks very high with the initial ESPN bid.

It is obvious what is happening. BE is waiting until the exlusive ESPN negotiating period is over. Then BE will bid itself to all broadcast outlets. And my guess is it ask for 3 bids from each broadcast outlet, one bid for a BE-9, a second bid for a BE-10, and a third bid for a BE-12. I believe the esclusive ESPN period ends late 2012. When BE receives its bids, then the BE will make a simultaneous decision regarding expansion and its broadcast outlets.
06-06-2011 08:50 AM
West Is the Best Offline
All American

I Root For: C-USA
(06-06-2011 08:50 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  The BE will not fail; rather, the question is how high up its success will go. It already looks very high with the initial ESPN bid.

It is obvious what is happening. BE is waiting until the exlusive ESPN negotiating period is over. Then BE will bid itself to all broadcast outlets. And my guess is it ask for 3 bids from each broadcast outlet, one bid for a BE-9, a second bid for a BE-10, and a third bid for a BE-12. I believe the esclusive ESPN period ends late 2012. When BE receives its bids, then the BE will make a simultaneous decision regarding expansion and its broadcast outlets.

The various scenarios, with proposed institutions, have already been discussed with the networks. BE expansion will be based on the results of these meetings. Networks will drive BE expansion and not the other way around. Same as other conference expansions in the past.
06-06-2011 08:58 AM
Advertisement

CougarMikeUH Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston
I think from a business standpoint, the Big East needs to define its vision and mission statement. What are the goals of the conference? Does it want to be great at Basketball or Football or both? To me it seems the BE does not know what it wants. It it is a strange mixture of schools with very little cohesion or shared beliefs. They want to be loyal to the existing smaller schools but at the same time be competitive with other conferences that do have that alignment and shared vision. If you are thinking like a company...from the top executives to the lowly front line managers, everyone has to believe in the vision and mission or you will fail. From an outsiders point of view, this is the biggest reason the Big East is failing.

Luckily, The Big East can survive on the Basketball side alone if it has to. The next thing the BE needs to change the public image of weakness on the football side. If you want to win championships...and YES that should be the goal if you are playing in a BCS conference, then you need public perception on your side.

Adding TCU helps its perception in the short term. Could it backfire? Yes, of course. If TCU has trouble finding a new QB, and settles in at the the 3rd or 4th best team in the BE, it could hurt everyones image. TCU will be seen as having lucked out and is now just another small religious school in the BE and the BE added another middle of the pack school and the conference is still lacking a power house (too much parity seems to hurt conference power perceptions) BUT If TCU continues to dominate for another 3 to 4 years and finds success with multiple QB's, it will go along way to changing that perception.

I think for the BE to really change public opinion about football weakness, the existing membership has to step up and be dominant. Quit being dependent on new teams to step in and carry the conference. I mentioned earlier that too much parity hurts the conference perception. Look at the Big 12 (Texas and OU), the SEC (Florida, Alabama, LSU), PAc 12 (USC), Big 10 (OSU, Mich). If a conference lacks that dominant force, then the whole conference suffers and is seen as weak.

In conclusion:
The Big East needs a new identity. Is it basketball? is it football? is it Both? Can it be both without a split? I don't have those answers, but I can say that right now, the average fan could care less about Big East football. It may capture the worlds interest in March, but the rest of the year the Big East fades into the background.

If the Big East fixes the problems they have, it will not matter who they bring in. People will watch/support teams because it is the Big East.

Anyone who has heard the S.E.C. chant knows that there is a power in having a conference identity. The SEC knows who they are, they are Football.
06-06-2011 09:18 AM
superdeluxe Offline
1st String

I Root For: UW
Also your ADs/Presidents are not all on the same page, and some have disagreements with the current commissioner.
06-06-2011 10:39 AM
Advertisement

MrP3242 Offline
Special Teams

(06-06-2011 09:18 AM)CougarMikeUH Wrote:  I think from a business standpoint, the Big East needs to define its vision and mission statement. What are the goals of the conference? Does it want to be great at Basketball or Football or both? To me it seems the BE does not know what it wants. It it is a strange mixture of schools with very little cohesion or shared beliefs. They want to be loyal to the existing smaller schools but at the same time be competitive with other conferences that do have that alignment and shared vision. If you are thinking like a company...from the top executives to the lowly front line managers, everyone has to believe in the vision and mission or you will fail. From an outsiders point of view, this is the biggest reason the Big East is failing.

Luckily, The Big East can survive on the Basketball side alone if it has to. The next thing the BE needs to change the public image of weakness on the football side. If you want to win championships...and YES that should be the goal if you are playing in a BCS conference, then you need public perception on your side.

Adding TCU helps its perception in the short term. Could it backfire? Yes, of course. If TCU has trouble finding a new QB, and settles in at the the 3rd or 4th best team in the BE, it could hurt everyones image. TCU will be seen as having lucked out and is now just another small religious school in the BE and the BE added another middle of the pack school and the conference is still lacking a power house (too much parity seems to hurt conference power perceptions) BUT If TCU continues to dominate for another 3 to 4 years and finds success with multiple QB's, it will go along way to changing that perception.

I think for the BE to really change public opinion about football weakness, the existing membership has to step up and be dominant. Quit being dependent on new teams to step in and carry the conference. I mentioned earlier that too much parity hurts the conference perception. Look at the Big 12 (Texas and OU), the SEC (Florida, Alabama, LSU), PAc 12 (USC), Big 10 (OSU, Mich). If a conference lacks that dominant force, then the whole conference suffers and is seen as weak.

In conclusion:
The Big East needs a new identity. Is it basketball? is it football? is it Both? Can it be both without a split? I don't have those answers, but I can say that right now, the average fan could care less about Big East football. It may capture the worlds interest in March, but the rest of the year the Big East fades into the background.

If the Big East fixes the problems they have, it will not matter who they bring in. People will watch/support teams because it is the Big East.

Anyone who has heard the S.E.C. chant knows that there is a power in having a conference identity. The SEC knows who they are, they are Football.

Good response: Tks, Mr.P3242
06-06-2011 06:11 PM
MrP3242 Offline
Special Teams

(06-06-2011 08:58 AM)West Is the Best Wrote:  
(06-06-2011 08:50 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  The BE will not fail; rather, the question is how high up its success will go. It already looks very high with the initial ESPN bid.

The various scenarios, with proposed institutions, have already been discussed with the networks. BE expansion will be based on the results of these meetings. Networks will drive BE expansion and not the other way around. Same as other conference expansions in the past.
That's how they should bid the new TV contract. I sure hope they do it as you suggest. Tks, Mr.P324
06-06-2011 06:13 PM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Big East needs to have

1 All AD's Football and NonFootball to get onto the same page
2 Until everyone is on the same page expansion needs to be tabled
3 We as fans need to know to vision that the Big East presents us IE BEN, marketing etc

I do think fans need to chill out when it comes to expansion. CUSA schools aren't going anywhere. If a school really stuck out they'd already be in the Big East. The conference needs not only study specific schools but what trio of schools should be added. Its apparent to me that no one brings enough to the table to be brought in. Maybe that will change when we negotiate with NBC and Fox. (Remember other networks may view a specific schools value more than ESPN would)
06-06-2011 06:31 PM
MrP3242 Offline
Special Teams

(06-06-2011 06:31 PM)animus Wrote:  Big East needs to have

3 We as fans need to know to vision that the Big East presents us IE BEN, marketing etc

I do think fans need to chill out when it comes to expansion. CUSA schools aren't going anywhere. If a school really stuck out they'd already be in the Big East. The conference needs not only study specific schools but what trio of schools should be added. Its apparent to me that no one brings enough to the table to be brought in. Maybe that will change when we negotiate with NBC and Fox. (Remember other networks may view a specific schools value more than ESPN would)
Animus: I have to believe the networks have done a lot of research on which 3 schools produce the best TV ratings. If they are going to offer the Big East Big Bucks in the next TV contract. You know they have either done their homework or are in the process of looking into it Big Time. You don't spend that kind of money on a hunch. I just hope the Big East comes out of this business situation smiling all the way to the bank. Tks, Mr.P3242
06-06-2011 06:45 PM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
(06-06-2011 06:45 PM)MrP3242 Wrote:  

Animus: I have to believe the networks have done a lot of research on which 3 schools produce the best TV ratings. If they are going to offer the Big East Big Bucks in the next TV contract. You know they have either done their homework or are in the process of looking into it Big Time. You don't spend that kind of money on a hunch. I just hope the Big East comes out of this business situation smiling all the way to the bank. Tks, Mr.P3242

Which is why just maybe expansion just isn't the best option for the Big East right now. Having 12 schools and a championship games sounds cool and all. But if schools don't provide good enough ratings, then whats the point.
06-06-2011 06:50 PM
MrP3242 Offline
Special Teams

(06-06-2011 06:50 PM)animus Wrote:  
(06-06-2011 06:45 PM)MrP3242 Wrote:  

Which is why just maybe expansion just isn't the best option for the Big East right now. Having 12 schools and a championship games sounds cool and all. But if schools don't provide good enough ratings, then whats the point.
I tend to believe expansion to 12 football schools is the right option. In the end let's hope they use a lot of facts, figures, ratings and research on the expansion subject to make a wise decision for the benefit of the entire BE conference. Mr.P3242
06-06-2011 07:35 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Expansion to 12 may be the right option. But is it the right option now? I don't think so...
06-07-2011 01:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.