Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What IF the Big East went 11/19?
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
What IF the Big East went 11/19?
Should the Big East try for an 11/19 set-up with BYU and ECU? This gives BYU access to virtually all the best eastern LDS states and Texas.

In this scenario the league doesn't need to worry about what would be a poor divisional set-up in football while getting two excellent football drawers and another bb draw.

The football scheduling would be an 8-game conference schedule similar to what the Big Ten had after PSU was added and in bb everyone plays each other once.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Neil
06-05-2011 02:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
RE: What IF the Big East went 11/19?
It would work for football. How would you structure basketball?
06-05-2011 05:46 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I dont believe 11/19 is really an option. Its either going to be 9,10 or 12
06-05-2011 08:25 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(06-05-2011 08:25 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  I dont believe 11/19 is really an option. Its either going to be 9,10 or 12

Neither do I. But I'm really psyched about the possibility and potential of both BYU and ECU (which may be the two candidates with the least amount of support within the league itself) and no matter how I slice it and dice it, I can't see both getting in and going to 12.

The divisions would be worse than ACC and Big Ten divisions no matter which team is chosen for #12 in this scenario.

Cheers,
Neil
06-05-2011 08:39 PM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(06-05-2011 05:46 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  It would work for football. How would you structure basketball?

Basketball works with any amount of teams. With 19, each team plays everyone else once 9 home and 9 away and then switch that around the next year.

Cheers,
Neil
06-05-2011 08:41 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

So 11/19 works until we find the right 12th team.
06-06-2011 06:04 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

You have to have 20 BB teams to set up Pods.
06-06-2011 10:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HtownOrange Offline
All American

At 19 bb teams, each team will play 1/2 of teams home and 1/2 of teams away for 18 games. Switch home/away the following year. For the tourney, seed each team based on regular season finish and agreed upon tie-breakers.
06-06-2011 11:17 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

+1 04-cheers
06-06-2011 11:33 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I'd love that
06-07-2011 05:14 PM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

11 is a bad number for football monetarily, as you can only play 8 conference games. Thus, since conference games are what generate the most TV money, you would actually lose money in most instances going from 10 teams to 11 teams. While I am not a fan of 12 teams, 11 would be even worse.

10 is still the optimal number in our set up. I don't think any team past ten brings enough value to offset the loss of a conference game per team, and there are definitely not two additional teams who brign enough to the table to make going to 12 teams a monetary plus.
06-09-2011 11:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(06-09-2011 11:19 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  11 is a bad number for football monetarily, as you can only play 8 conference games. Thus, since conference games are what generate the most TV money, you would actually lose money in most instances going from 10 teams to 11 teams. While I am not a fan of 12 teams, 11 would be even worse.

10 is still the optimal number in our set up. I don't think any team past ten brings enough value to offset the loss of a conference game per team, and there are definitely not two additional teams who brign enough to the table to make going to 12 teams a monetary plus.

Agree that 11 for football is an awkward number, but here is why I think it is an option to at least consider.

It forces an 8-game conference schedule, which I think could actually be better for the Big East providing they can find at least 2 attractive OOC opponents each year. I realize Louisville has had trouble with some of the Big Boys backing out of deals, but from an SU fan's perspective and a Pitt fan's perspective, 4 OOC games is the way to go. I also suspect TCU may want this as well, although I understand some Big 12-2 opponents like Texas Tech have backed out on them, so maybe not.

Since the league has no Kings (in the Kings, Barons, Knights, and Knaves terminology) for college football, I believe trying to increase the number of Barons is the only way the league can partially offset not having any of the Kings.

The Barons currently are WVU, TCU, Pitt, and potentially a revitalized SU and UL. The only other Baron that might be available is BYU. BYU will likely also favor an 8 game conference schedule to get some games out West.

After BYU, of the rest of the "usual" suspects the candidate most likely to reach Baron status the quickest is ECU since they are the closest equivalent to VT (the most recent Baron) out there, imho.

As a result, I was attempting to see how the league can expand to get as many Barons as possible and enticing the one Baron out there to potentially join.

Finally, while TV may value conference games more than OOC games, in the case of the Big East where the teams are not highly valued due to the lack of Kings, getting OOC games against Kings may be much more likely with 4 OOC games than 3. Since in like SU's case, offering to play them at the Meadowlands is the strongest carrot to enticing them to agree to these games.

So, I was thinking 11/19 might be an option to consider to achieve these goals.

Obviously it is more out-of-the-box thinking than the traditional 9, 10, or 12 team football side of the house.

Cheers,
Neil
06-09-2011 12:13 PM
General Mike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(06-09-2011 12:13 PM)omnicarrier Wrote:  Agree that 11 for football is an awkward number, but here is why I think it is an option to at least consider.

It forces an 8-game conference schedule, which I think could actually be better for the Big East providing they can find at least 2 attractive OOC opponents each year. I realize Louisville has had trouble with some of the Big Boys backing out of deals, but from an SU fan's perspective and a Pitt fan's perspective, 4 OOC games is the way to go. I also suspect TCU may want this as well, although I understand some Big 12-2 opponents like Texas Tech have backed out on them, so maybe not.

Rutgers is definitely another team that would prefer the 8 conference games, because they need 7 home games for financial reasons. Playing 9 conference games makes it difficult.
06-12-2011 02:26 PM
Advertisement

SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut
Now you believe strength in number. It was a difficult concept to accept because you stuck-up with a question of quality.

I don’t believe the BE would let football go pass ten.
They try so hard to keep it at 17 even with ten footballs.
06-12-2011 06:20 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(06-12-2011 06:20 PM)SO#1 Wrote:  Now you believe strength in number. It was a difficult concept to accept because you stuck-up with a question of quality.

I don’t believe the BE would let football go pass ten.
They try so hard to keep it at 17 even with ten footballs.

Not sure who this is aimed at since you fail to quote anyone in this post, I'll assume its me as the original poster.

If you've read my BCS numbers thread, you'd see why BYU is a quality add and why ECU, while not as much quality, at least doesn't hurt the league.

Cheers,
Neil
06-13-2011 06:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.