Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Jurich Fogs Big East Expansion Picture article.
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Jurich Fogs Big East Expansion Picture article.
I find this interesting coming from Charlie Springer. since he is the first lots of time with Louisville insider info. Enjoy.

Jurich Fogs Big East Expansion Picture
06-02-2011 11:05 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
RE: Jurich Fogs Big East Expansion Picture article.
This article left out a very important part of the Tom Jurich quote. He likes Vilanova but went on to state their issues are logistical. I don't think he is ready for them to join the conference until they have things squared away. I think he supports them because he knows they are already part of the Big East and he understands the value of being in the BCS from an outsiders point of view. My take is he wants Nova in for BEast football, but only if they have gotten their house in order.
06-02-2011 11:25 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I agree on that.
06-02-2011 11:26 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Since the additions of USF and TCU, LOTS of schools are "in the footprint" of the league.
06-02-2011 11:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(06-02-2011 11:56 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  Since the additions of USF and TCU, LOTS of schools are "in the footprint" of the league.

Poor choice of words by Jurich, IMHO. The main point is that Villanova IS a member of the Big East (and has been for longer than any other football schools other than Syracuse and UConn). Whether people on the outside believe it's fair or not, that distinction makes ALL of the difference in the world.
06-02-2011 12:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
(06-02-2011 12:43 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(06-02-2011 11:56 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  Since the additions of USF and TCU, LOTS of schools are "in the footprint" of the league.

Poor choice of words by Jurich, IMHO. The main point is that Villanova IS a member of the Big East (and has been for longer than any other football schools other than Syracuse and UConn). Whether people on the outside believe it's fair or not, that distinction makes ALL of the difference in the world.

Frank (off-topic) -- did you get my PM...?

Back on-topic -- Villanova makes the most sense as a FB member if they can figure out all of the logistics.
06-02-2011 01:09 PM
frogman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
(06-02-2011 01:09 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  

Back on-topic -- Villanova makes the most sense as a FB member if they can figure out all of the logistics.

Logistics is just one problem. There's the problem of having a fan base that meets the NCAA minimum of 15,000 and of course the BE would hope the school can exceed that minimum. If Nova entered the league and they are not automatically winning how will they draw another 7,000 fans in a college FB cool market like Philly. The reason NOVA didn't seek out 40,000 seat stadium is because they already know they can't fill it. They are not willing to invest, say, $80 million to build the facilities they need because they have no faith in their program but they wouldn't mind collecting the $11 million check the FB schools will be getting.

Not saying NOva can't be successful but it certainly seems that Nova's administration is not willing to take the risks and make the invetments to be attractive and show they are serious about moving up. If they are not serious, why should the BE be serious about them.

Nova BB attendance is below the league average. They have less than 7,000 undergrads I believe.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2011 02:55 PM by frogman.)
06-02-2011 02:53 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Well, Jurich is playing with words here. He is saying all the politically correct things.
06-02-2011 03:40 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
I think Jurich worded it just fine. Do you consider the ACC an Atlantic Coast conference or a Northeast conference? Just because you go outside of the box doesn't change anything. And the comment that adding USF changes the footprint is silly. Last I checked Miami used to be in this conference and it was still considered a Northeast conference. The Big Ten almost added Texas, I'm guessing that people would have continued considering them a Midwest conference.
06-02-2011 03:51 PM
Advertisement

ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
(06-02-2011 03:51 PM)CatsClaw Wrote:  I think Jurich worded it just fine. Do you consider the ACC an Atlantic Coast conference or a Northeast conference?

Well, technically the Atlantic Coast stretches from Florida to Maine, right...?

05-stirthepot
06-02-2011 03:55 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(06-02-2011 02:53 PM)frogman Wrote:  

Logistics is just one problem. There's the problem of having a fan base that meets the NCAA minimum of 15,000 and of course the BE would hope the school can exceed that minimum. If Nova entered the league and they are not automatically winning how will they draw another 7,000 fans in a college FB cool market like Philly. The reason NOVA didn't seek out 40,000 seat stadium is because they already know they can't fill it. They are not willing to invest, say, $80 million to build the facilities they need because they have no faith in their program but they wouldn't mind collecting the $11 million check the FB schools will be getting.

Not saying NOva can't be successful but it certainly seems that Nova's administration is not willing to take the risks and make the invetments to be attractive and show they are serious about moving up. If they are not serious, why should the BE be serious about them.

Nova BB attendance is below the league average. They have less than 7,000 undergrads I believe.

We can speculate what Nova's fb attendance will be, but no one will know for sure until they upgrade.

But in terms of bb attendance it appears you aren't aware that Nova has averaged just over 10K in bb attendance the last 6 years. One of the reasons why is that they upped the number of games that they play at Wells Fargo arena, where they can get 19K+ on a Saturday afternoon against the likes of Syracuse, Louisville, Connecticut, Georgetown, West Virginia, Notre Dame, and Maryland, 18K plus against Providence, and get 12K plus against a team like Delaware.

Their 6-year average would place them 8th behind Syracuse, Louisville, Marquette, UConn, Georgetown, West Virginia, and Pittsburgh.

They also sell out the Pavilion on-campus just about each and every game there at 6500 which means they could safely start to consider expansion there to at least 8000 in the future. Had they already done this, they would have passed Pittsburgh.

Cheers,
Neil
06-02-2011 04:00 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

Nice analysis, Neil. Could they build an all purpose building lika a mini-dome that seats up to 40K? They could play basketball and lacrosse inside, too. I know that have limited space due to the township disallowing expansion, but there must be some way they can work around this if they are serious about stepping up.
06-02-2011 04:51 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(06-02-2011 04:51 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  Nice analysis, Neil. Could they build an all purpose building lika a mini-dome that seats up to 40K? They could play basketball and lacrosse inside, too. I know that have limited space due to the township disallowing expansion, but there must be some way they can work around this if they are serious about stepping up.

My understanding is that land is not an issue for Villanova like it is for Georgetown. It's the Radnor Township that doesn't want the traffic that keeps hindering their growth on campus.

Cheers,
Neil
06-02-2011 05:00 PM
Advertisement

Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
If Nova would have finished in the middle of the Big East as a I-AA team with 63 scholarships...then the Big East has a very sad state of football affairs.
06-02-2011 05:56 PM
Oh Really? Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina

Give it up, Croney. You ain't no Pirate. You're a UNC fan.
I remember you saying ECU would never fill an upper deck.
Now they've filled that and an additional 7,000 seats.
And that 7,000 is twice what Villanova draws in football currently.
Makes the most sense?
You think Louisville, West Virginia, USF, Connecticut, Cincinnati and
Syracuse want to play in that kind of environment?
Dream a little dream, baby....03-rotfl
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2011 06:55 PM by Oh Really?.)
06-02-2011 06:53 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(06-02-2011 05:56 PM)Jugnaut Wrote:  If Nova would have finished in the middle of the Big East as a I-AA team with 63 scholarships...then the Big East has a very sad state of football affairs.

Did you watch BE football last year? 03-lmfao

Cheers,
Neil
06-02-2011 06:54 PM
TopCard Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
(06-02-2011 11:25 AM)army56mike Wrote:  This article left out a very important part of the Tom Jurich quote. He likes Vilanova but went on to state their issues are logistical. I don't think he is ready for them to join the conference until they have things squared away. I think he supports them because he knows they are already part of the Big East and he understands the value of being in the BCS from an outsiders point of view. My take is he wants Nova in for BEast football, but only if they have gotten their house in order.

The part about logistics is in the quote which is in the article.
06-02-2011 08:33 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.