Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New assistant coach #1
Bookmark and Share
Mike_Hunt Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kennesaw State
New assistant coach #1
"JSU assistant basketball coach Mike Smith is leaving the Gamecocks today, heading to Kennesaw State to join the staff of a close friend."

I have a good feeling about people named Mike Smith.
06-02-2011 12:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hooterdome Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KSU
RE: New assistant coach #1
Agreed, Mike Hunt! Tell you what, these coaches ain't no dummies. They have to be somewhat intelligent to be able to achieve, academically, all they have. All have playing experience, as well. Not a bad way to start out, let's hope that translates into better ball too!
06-02-2011 09:09 AM
kennesaw.owls Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Kennesaw
Mike Smith is known in college ball. He will help.

Dont know much about the other two. I know we dont have much money to use. So take what we can get.

Would of liked to see at least 1 of the former assistant stick around.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2011 12:27 PM by kennesaw.owls.)
06-02-2011 12:26 PM
KennesawBasketball Offline
1st String

Dont think that is going to happen .owls. With the way the previous staff was dismissed there would be really no way to keep anyone on that staff, and to be honest, Preston did it probably wouldn't work. Once you fire a coach it is best to start from scratch.

Not really sure what Hooterdome means by his comment. I am not disagreeing with it mind, but what proof of intelligence or academic excellence do we have in either Preston or Smith? Again - I am not claiming the opposite, I would hope that you are right, but I just don't see any proof either way that Smith or Preston have distinguished themselves in the academic community.

Smith was a communications major from New Orleans University, Preston was a History Major at VMI, and Lallathin was an education at Marietta College. Morris seems to have more of an educational background with an English degree from Stanford, and a masters in sports management from Alabama. Seems to me Morris was a good fit to the coaching puzzle that Preston was looking for. Someone who can be held accountable for the academics of the program. It is a tough job, and Morris will have his work cut out for him, but I don't see the other coaches as distinguishing themselves academically in any manner.
06-02-2011 01:35 PM
Advertisement

Hooterdome Offline
Bench Warmer

VMI isn't an easy school. Morris got his degree from Stanford and Smith learned and got another degree while playing abroad, I believe in Japanese. Really wasn't talking about Coach L, but he seems like a good fit. Young and hungry. As do all of the coaches, for that matter. I'm not saying it will translate, but it's a good start to have guys who understand what it takes to be a good student.

Also, 3 of them have playing experience over seas which is a good recruiting tool.
06-02-2011 02:35 PM
Goodbye Kelvin! Offline
Water Engineer

(06-02-2011 02:35 PM)Hooterdome Wrote:  VMI isn't an easy school. Morris got his degree from Stanford and Smith learned and got another degree while playing abroad, I believe in Japanese. Really wasn't talking about Coach L, but he seems like a good fit. Young and hungry. As do all of the coaches, for that matter. I'm not saying it will translate, but it's a good start to have guys who understand what it takes to be a good student.

Also, 3 of them have playing experience over seas which is a good recruiting tool.

Morris played and got his undergrad from Washington, with his Uncle, Lorenzo Romar.
06-02-2011 08:19 PM
KennesawBasketball Offline
1st String

I don't think we have any idea from what you just said that any of them have any idea what means to be a good student. What you just described could apply to pretty much any coaching staff in the Atlantic Sun. AGain - I am not saying that they are poor academics, just saying that you have no proof either way. You are making up a point out of thin air.
06-02-2011 10:02 PM
Hooterdome Offline
Bench Warmer

"Morris played and got his undergrad from Washington, with his Uncle, Lorenzo Romar."
Coach Morris earned his Bachelors degree in English Literature from Stanford University, and obtained his Masters in Sport Management from The University of Alabama. Romar is his cousin and not his uncle.

@ K'sawbasketball: I'm making an assumption based on facts. Stanford is a very difficult school, academically. VMI is a very strict institution where academics are paramount. Learning Japanese after you earn your degree at the U of New Orleans is very difficult. I have no idea if they had a 3.0 or a 2.0, but they did get their degrees. Which is more than I can say for so many of our recent players at KSU.

Saying that, I could be wrong about my assumption. I didn't, however, make them up out of thin air.
06-03-2011 11:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.