Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Eric Crawford | Now the sun seems to be rising on Big East
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Good article. It looks like Louisville likes Villanova as 10 and two of these three for 11 and 12, ECU, Houston and UCF. However, Jurich said he was happy with 9 football teams.

06-01-2011 11:41 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Lloyd64 Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: Eric Crawford | Now the sun seems to be rising on Big East
(06-01-2011 11:41 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Good article. It looks like Louisville likes Villanova as 10 and two of these three for 11 and 12, ECU, Houston and UCF. However, Jurich said he was happy with 9 football teams.

Wilkie,
You must have posted the wrong link. No where in the article did I see UofL, via Jurich, say anything about ECU, Houston and UCF. I was disappointed that he mentioned Villanova.
06-01-2011 12:10 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
(06-01-2011 12:10 PM)Lloyd64 Wrote:  
(06-01-2011 11:41 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Good article. It looks like Louisville likes Villanova as 10 and two of these three for 11 and 12, ECU, Houston and UCF. However, Jurich said he was happy with 9 football teams.

Wilkie,
You must have posted the wrong link. No where in the article did I see UofL, via Jurich, say anything about ECU, Houston and UCF. I was disappointed that he mentioned Villanova.

Page 2 of the article...

Quote:East Carolina, Central Florida and Houston are interested in joining the Big East. There are murmurs that the league could approach Army and Navy, who could come in for football but not add to the already burgeoning basketball numbers.
06-01-2011 12:14 PM
Lloyd64 Offline
Bench Warmer

(06-01-2011 12:14 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  

Wilkie,

Page 2 of the article...

Quote:East Carolina, Central Florida and Houston are interested in joining the Big East. There are murmurs that the league could approach Army and Navy, who could come in for football but not add to the already burgeoning basketball numbers.

That has nothing to do with what Jurich (UofL) said in the article.
06-01-2011 12:17 PM
Cromie Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU, ETSU
ya wonder why UoL wants Nova in
06-01-2011 12:45 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

Man sometimes people should keep their mouth shut for this IMO makes Jurich out to be an idiot if he is indeed proposing Villanova as the 10th member. I really thought he knew something about what the FB schools were looking for, and now him supporting Nova just shows he is nothing more than a band wagon rider and nothing more. Heavens to be he takes a stand like WVU, Pitt and Rutgers AD's for Louisville must still see theirselves as outsiders and don't want to rock the boat so to say. Screw Nova and that stupid Chester built soccer stadium as well for if they can not produce a stadium under the same circumstance as Temple when they were in the Big East then maybe they shouldn't be asking to join or vice versa. Really he is supporting Nova what a joke IMO for he still has gotten the Kragthorped out of his system I guess.
06-01-2011 12:53 PM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Maybe it just comes back to Jim's point, that since UL is a new member, they don't want to rock the boat (PUBLICLY).
06-01-2011 01:01 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

It is what Jurich said publicly. It is what it is. I was told Jurich wants 12 teams. So I guess adding Nova is the only way the BB schools will let us go to 12. 04-cheers
06-01-2011 01:03 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Wilkie,

Llyod, I read this article, I was showing that Jurich is still pushing Nova, So I added the post, Eric Crawford talked to Jurich, Not everything Eric wrote is a direct quote. But he was summing up their conversation. Anyway that's the way I read it. Jurich is happy anyway because he wanted TCU as the 9th team. 04-cheers
06-01-2011 01:08 PM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
Well if TJ is saying 1 thing publically and another privately, then who is to say Luck and others are doing the same.

Publically speaking from UL there is mixed message, unless President Ramsey was only saying what ESPN was telling him....and not necessarily what he feels It appears TJ likes 9 or 10 with Nova being the only 1 supported...disappointing, but its obvious with that said he is looking at it from not splitting the pie any further unless there is a slam dunk out there. I'd say that tells us that UL is not too interested in the usual suspects which comes as a suprise right now, unless it truly is double talk. I just can't see that, its not TJ's track record with the media.

So maybel WVU and UL are opposite sides on this with 12 teams and wanting Nova. In addition UL on one side from Pitt and others about Nova.

I've heard this very thing since the fall with TJ attached with looking at Comcast. Maybe he would prefer less teams because the payout won't be as good from Comcast as oppose to ESPN, but the timeslots will be alot better for games. Then when another homerun like TCU comes around if not Nova then ? team becomes #10.
06-01-2011 01:15 PM
frogman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse

Wilkie,

And what he said about Nova made little sense. He said nova would finish in the middle of the BE- Like that's an accomplishment???? Nova would finish at the bottom of the SEC and ACC and probably stay there forever. Hopefully the other BE teams can improve so our middle won't be so easy to achieve. We need someone who looks like they could win the league in three to six seasons.

But what's really disturbing is that NOVA would also finish at the bottom of the FBS required attendance and would need to increase it's attendance by nearly 70 percent to qualify at 15,000. Not to mention having no money to build a decent stadium. (Though I think the Philly market will keep Nova in consideration the school it way to small to support what's needed.)

Yea, the sun is rising but a few stupid decisions can set the sun really fast.

I wish more AD's would "rock the boat" and be clear about what they want in the conference and how they feel about splitting. Since I want to see a split any bad blood developing in the conference is good thing to me.

Louisville as been here long enough and won the conference in FB and established themselves as a BE BB power. They are no longer "new" members-- no need to kiss up to "old" members like Nova. SYR needs to speak up as well or risk not getting what they want.

Thank goodness for Pitt, WVU and Rutgers or we'd be DOA.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2011 01:51 PM by frogman.)
06-01-2011 01:43 PM
Advertisement

HtownOrange Offline
All American

As an outsider to Louisville sports, I read the article as Jurich taking teh conference line, happy at 9, with an eye on expanding, waiting for the right teams. Nova being a "right" team as they are already Big East/appeasing the basketball schools/in Philly.
06-01-2011 01:58 PM
frogman Offline
1st String

UCF finished last season ranked #20 in the AP polls. Averaged 38,000 fans, has 55,000 students and gives the BE another school in the best state for FB recruiting. And, they add an instant "W" to BE schools on the BB side.

Why even mention Nova?
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2011 02:19 PM by frogman.)
06-01-2011 02:10 PM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

Because they can't take UCF at the moment with a possible NCAA investigation under way.
06-01-2011 02:23 PM
frogman Offline
1st String

(06-01-2011 02:23 PM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  Because they can't take UCF at the moment with a possible NCAA investigation under way.

Ohio State is in much more trouble than UCF. I just feel with the controversal characters coming from Chicago (ken caldwell) and Jordan's sons being on the UCF team, I think the rich kids with the big name had more to do with this situation than UCF administration. Not that they did anything wrong but some fan wnats to get in good with the family or see the Jordan boys do well.

caldwell is a runner. He's a nobody wannabe a somebody in college sports. He's a hustler.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2011 02:50 PM by frogman.)
06-01-2011 02:45 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I think that you have to wonder, IF the members think that a split will happen in 4-5 years down the line, then keeping Nova for their basketball program and Philly presence makes some sense. A 12 team league with lets say

West: TCU, Houston, Louisville, Cincinnati, Nova, Pitt
East: USF, UConn, Cuse, Rutgers, West Virginia and ECU or UCF

Would still have 7 teams that would be NCAA basketball tourney contenders yearly
06-01-2011 03:16 PM
Advertisement

dgrace4cards Offline
All American

(06-01-2011 02:45 PM)frogman Wrote:  
(06-01-2011 02:23 PM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  Because they can't take UCF at the moment with a possible NCAA investigation under way.

Ohio State is in much more trouble than UCF. I just feel with the controversal characters coming from Chicago (ken caldwell) and Jordan's sons being on the UCF team, I think the rich kids with the big name had more to do with this situation than UCF administration. Not that they did anything wrong but some fan wnats to get in good with the family or see the Jordan boys do well.

caldwell is a runner. He's a nobody wannabe a somebody in college sports. He's a hustler.

Still can't invite a team under investigation....take the buzz out of it right away and question the decision.....have to wait a year to see how it shakes out.
06-01-2011 03:23 PM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

(06-01-2011 03:16 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  I think that you have to wonder, IF the members think that a split will happen in 4-5 years down the line, then keeping Nova for their basketball program and Philly presence makes some sense. A 12 team league with lets say

West: TCU, Houston, Louisville, Cincinnati, Nova, Pitt
East: USF, UConn, Cuse, Rutgers, West Virginia and ECU or UCF

Would still have 7 teams that would be NCAA basketball tourney contenders yearly

I guess thats possible....that if you read between the lines, taking Nova then splitting and adding 2 more could all mean the same thing, its just a matter of what you say and not say in your answer to expansion questions as an AD.
06-01-2011 03:25 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
(06-01-2011 12:45 PM)Cromie Wrote:  ya wonder why UoL wants Nova in

Jurich seems enamored with the Philadelphia market which isn't necessarily a bad thing. If we can tap that that would be awesome. But didn't someone talk to him last summer at a golfing event and when expansion was brought up he favored adding both Nova and Temple? Now that's much.
06-01-2011 04:42 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(06-01-2011 12:10 PM)Lloyd64 Wrote:  Wilkie,

No, Wilkie is just hellbent on 12 teams, and will twist anything to make that happen. :domokun:

Seriously, it does not say that Jurich wants 12, and even privately, it has been said that Jurich feels much the same way, that he is not in favor of more than ten schools, for many of the same reasons that many of us on here have pointed out: it's not economically sound. Unless a prospective broadcast partner tells the Big East that they will pay them more money per team with 12 teams (don't see it), you will not likely see more than 10 teams in the Big East anytime soon.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2011 04:50 PM by adcorbett.)
06-01-2011 04:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.