Manahan
05-22-2011 08:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Manahan
This is a very strange article and letter. There *must* be something deeper behind this. I don't think in any way is this a surprise to Manahan. I'm also a bit puzzled that this proactive step would be taken by our lawmakers, and that trouble was taken to make sure this got into the newspaper. Why not wait and see what other candidates are out there and evaluate them fairly? Does this arise from anti-Wilsie sentiment?

I could say a lot more, but will withhold for now.
I *will* say I think it's a bad idea.....
He'd probably be better than Mr. Morehead St., but I'm sure we could do much better.
05-22-2011 09:12 AM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(05-22-2011 08:50 AM)abuc90 Wrote:  http://johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?id=90729

Is Manahan a football guy?

I think that is the question. Sure he must be capable of running a growing major university but also must have the desire and passion to lead and get fund raising going to re-instate 1AA football back on our campus. I hope this is something these people checked out before they made this letter public.
05-22-2011 10:34 AM
Heisman

Respectfully, that is *not* the question. And it's not that simple, even looking myopically at football only.
One has to known Manahan to appreciate my comments, unfortunately. I'm sort of waiting on others to weigh in before saying more...

Let me add this, however. Remember, our legislators are *on record* (unanimous vote in the TN legislature) that football needs to be reinstated at ETSU. This may or may not be a ploy towards that aim. But please - we don't want the cure to be worse than the disease....
05-22-2011 11:43 AM
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(05-22-2011 11:43 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  Respectfully, that is *not* the question. And it's not that simple, even looking myopically at football only.
One has to known Manahan to appreciate my comments, unfortunately. I'm sort of waiting on others to weigh in before saying more...

Let me add this, however. Remember, our legislators are *on record* (unanimous vote in the TN legislature) that football needs to be reinstated at ETSU. This may or may not be a ploy towards that aim. But please - we don't want the cure to be worse than the disease....

Agreed. I guess there is so much we do not know right now. I think we are together in that we cannot allow an anti-football person to be named president or at least that is our goal.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2011 12:14 PM by bucfan81.)
05-22-2011 12:14 PM
etsualumni00 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(05-22-2011 08:50 AM)abuc90 Wrote:  http://johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?id=90729

Notice that Rusty Crowe is behind this and returning Buc Football is a big goal of his. I would bet good money it was discussed with Manahan before they drafted the letter. I would hope at least.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2011 04:23 PM by etsualumni00.)
05-22-2011 03:35 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(05-22-2011 03:35 PM)etsualumni00 Wrote:  

Notice that Rusty Crowe is behind this and returning Buc Football is a big goal of his. I would bet good money is was discussed with Manahan before they drafted the letter.

Let us hope this is true!
05-22-2011 03:52 PM
Advertisement

straightfromthehorsesmouth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: the underdog
(05-22-2011 09:12 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  This is a very strange article and letter. There *must* be something deeper behind this. I don't think in any way is this a surprise to Manahan. I'm also a bit puzzled that this proactive step would be taken by our lawmakers, and that trouble was taken to make sure this got into the newspaper. Why not wait and see what other candidates are out there and evaluate them fairly? Does this arise from anti-Wilsie sentiment?

I could say a lot more, but will withhold for now.
I *will* say I think it's a bad idea.....
He'd probably be better than Mr. Morehead St., but I'm sure we could do much better.

Interesting development. The wheels have been turning for years and eventhough people haven't seen things on the surface, the work has continued.

I do know there is a prevailing sentiment that ETSU and the region needs forward-thinking and not just myopic tunnel vision.... is the presence of a visible, engaged Athletics department part of that forward-thinking? I think other Universities have demonstrated that it is definitely part of the "package"...

From what I understand, RM went into a fairly neutral stance after the football fiasco occured mainly because NOBODY TALKED TO HIM ABOUT WHAT HE COULD DO TO HELP!!! Seriously, the money man wasn't asked! I don't think he's as neutral on the insider circles but he also understands it takes leadership to make the changes to meet the task... we'll see if he takes the bait.

The political involvement is not just isolated to the northeast part of the state, it's more involved than many would like to know.

We could definitely do "better" in terms of someone with proven, visionary leadership across the board... but perhaps RH has just been sitting back and taking it all in... he certainly has earned to opportunity to give it a shot.
05-22-2011 05:44 PM
Heisman

Yes, he's certainly earned the opportunity to throw his hat in the ring, but I thought I'd hear more from you, particularly. Maybe you don't know him well....

Let's say RM *is* pro-football. I think that's the case, but that in and of itself definitely does NOT qualify him to be prez, ipso facto.
We need a MUCH broader vision of all things considered. We wouldn't want to win a battle but lose the war, if you catch my drift...
05-23-2011 10:39 AM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

Pardon my naivete, but what do our local elected officials know about leading a University like East Tennessee State?
05-23-2011 07:02 PM
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(05-23-2011 07:02 PM)Bucfaithful Wrote:  Pardon my naivete, but what do our local elected officials know about leading a University like East Tennessee State?

Faithful, this is only my personal opinion and I have nothing to base it on other than opinion but I really think they are trying to help the university get a president that will right the ship and help us get the football program back on campus. I think all they did was to ask him to apply for the position and he would have to go through the entire selection process and people would have to be convinced that he was the right candidate for the job before any actual hiring took place. I have written to most of our representatives and I am sure many other have done, and asked them to please help us get a president that will get ETSU back in line with all the other state universities and get our football program back. So I therefore think they are just helping and not presuming to take over the hiring process. This is just the way I am looking at and I am relieved to see that they are engaged somehow in the process so that we can get the best all round president possible. We all know there will be many, many names to consider before this completed.
05-23-2011 07:35 PM
etsubuc Offline
All American

EXACTLY Faithful!!! While I am not stupid enough to think that politics do not play into this greatly- that does not mean that it is right. These are the same elected officials that tied funding to graduation rates instead of enrollment- which will hurt ETSU more than other Universities and also will likely damage the integrity of the classroom instruction long term.

Point being, these decisions should be made by the TBR, with input from current ETSU faculty. Local politicians know nothing about the running of an educational university and should keep their noses out of it. Far after these politicians are out of office, ETSU will still have this President- we better make sure we get a good one that is not simply friends with the local politicians.

Also, the search criteria is a joke. Essentially all administrators are qualified, from Assistant Deans (of each college) on up of every university in the country.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2011 07:38 PM by etsubuc.)
05-23-2011 07:37 PM
Heisman

(05-23-2011 07:02 PM)Bucfaithful Wrote:  Pardon my naivete, but what do our local elected officials know about leading a University like East Tennessee State?

Well, I must say I'm surprised to read this, and a similar sentiment from etsubuc.....
The answer is complex, and I could write a page on this, but let me just point out a couple of the major factors:

1) Rusty Crowe was in the ETSU administration for quite a while. He knows A LOT about it. He's had his battles with stanton, and they've agreed with some things. I think I'm not letting any cat out of the bag to say that his leaving the university wasn't exactly the way he envisioned it would go. Without exploring that tangent, let's just say he's got a very good handle on what it takes to do that job. I can assure you he knows stanton's weaknesses (and strengths, too, to be fair).

2) All these legislators, or at least the ones who've been in office more than a short while, are partly responsible for funding ETSU. stanton goes to them (as well as the TBR in general) with funding requests, pleas for as much education funding as can be found. On this one topic I think many of us can say stanton has performed reasonably well. (Not perfectly, as he's played favorites - but he felt he had to in order to retain certain people.) He's managed an EXTREMELY underfunded academic crisis and at least kept the ship afloat. But *all* legislators are heavily involved in knowing where the money goes for higher eduction at all TBR universities in Tennessee. Many of these legislators have close ties to ETSU. Now, all that is not the same as having *run* a university - but they know well the financial challenges, and how things must be apportioned to appease the most needy aspects.

I'll leave it at that for now, but also remember that RM has dabbled in politics himself. He's got some friends; if he's got political enemies I don't know of them. (Doesn't mean they don't exist.) I don't think RM carries a lot of political clout. I will also say he's done pretty well on the financial end of things, but that's mostly a result of being extremely conservative as required - not necessarily anything visionary there....

All that being said, I still go back to my initial comments on this thread. It seems very pejorative for Crowe, ramsey (yes, he certainly deserves lower case), hill (even more so lower case) et al, to so proactively make this step. It almost seems a conflict of interest. I mean how can they know an absolutely perfect candidate isn't out there that they've never heard of? I do know Rusty knows RM quite well, and he *must* be aware of his weaknesses.
One could almost make a case that this is analogous to stanton hiring mullins as AD - it's someone he could easily control. It's possible (and I'm *not* saying I believe this) that these legislators think RM is someone they can work with, or control, or whatever. Let me emphasized again -- I'm *not* saying that this is what's behind this. But it's still a bit puzzling.

Wish MamaBear would come weigh in on this.........I can't tell all......
05-24-2011 12:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.