Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rumor
Bruins Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Belmont
Rumor
The rumor is Belmont is leaving the Atlantic Sun. The A-Sun may be dissolving.
05-12-2011 05:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

afro4president Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Belmont & Baylo
RE: Rumor
(05-12-2011 05:42 PM)Bruins Wrote:  The rumor is Belmont is leaving the Atlantic Sun. The A-Sun may be dissolving.

Please elaborate...
05-12-2011 06:07 PM
BelmontSuperFan Offline
Bench Warmer

Heard the same rumor. Not sure if I believe the A-Sun will dissolve. Too many schools with vested interest already.

Ideas of where we'll go? Big Sky? OVC? Horizon? Sun Belt?
05-12-2011 11:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Idstromadommadingdong Offline
Water Engineer

Would be huge news if true. 1pm can't get here soon enough for the presser.
05-13-2011 09:25 AM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
I hope we're going with you.
05-13-2011 09:32 AM
BU_Insider Offline
Water Engineer

Just got confirmation Belmont will be joining the OVC. No official word yet on whether or not A-Sun is dissolving.

Does not look as if Lipscomb will be in the OVC, just FYI.

Today is a great day for Belmont Athletics. The OVC is a better conference for BU, though RPI rankings may not say that for basketball, the regional interest level is much higher and will be better for the program overall.

Belmont fans should be excited.
05-13-2011 09:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bruinator06 Offline
Water Engineer

(05-13-2011 09:53 AM)BU_Insider Wrote:  Just got confirmation Belmont will be joining the OVC. No official word yet on whether or not A-Sun is dissolving.

Does not look as if Lipscomb will be in the OVC, just FYI.

Today is a great day for Belmont Athletics. The OVC is a better conference for BU, though RPI rankings may not say that for basketball, the regional interest level is much higher and will be better for the program overall.

Belmont fans should be excited.

Source?
05-13-2011 10:01 AM
Water Engineer

http://belmontvision.com/2011/05/13/brui...n-2012-13/

Should greatly increase local attendance and interest, while simultaneously decreasing expenses for the program. Great day indeed for Belmont!
05-13-2011 10:15 AM
bruinator06 Offline
Water Engineer

Just got confirmation as well, we'll be joining the OVC in 2 years.
05-13-2011 10:18 AM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
Your presence will improve the OVC; simultaneously, your absence will hurt the ASUN.

Congrats.
05-13-2011 10:21 AM
Water Engineer

Thoughts on not being in Lipscomb's conference? I wonder if we schedule a pair of OOC games with them now in a home-and-home series. Or do we just alternate host arenas in a once a year game?

All the local schools in the OVC will help our ticketing revenue and decrease our expenses. I love this move! Congratulations to the institution for making this happen!

As an aside....I wonder what changed from 2-3 years ago when this move was first rumored.
05-13-2011 10:33 AM
Advertisement

BelmontSuperFan Offline
Bench Warmer

I'm pumped about a basketball conference tournament that will be in our backyard, plus ESPNU coverage of the tournament.
05-13-2011 11:21 AM
BelmontSuperFan Offline
Bench Warmer

Link on this site goes to an OVC website. Must be true!

http://www.belmontbruins.com/information...sser051311
05-13-2011 11:22 AM
BelmontSuperFan Offline
Bench Warmer

The one downside? No OVC message board on NCAAbbs! How do we get one started?!
05-13-2011 11:33 AM
BU_Insider Offline
Water Engineer

No doubt the move to OVC will mean better local media coverage for the program. It's not fair that the A-Sun gets a pass in the Nashville market, but it is a reality.

Don't overlook the obvious fact that this is awful for baseball though. A-Sun is a stellar baseball conference and the OVC will hurt their ability to recruit guys from outside the southeast.
05-13-2011 11:35 AM
Hoppy Offline
Water Engineer

(05-13-2011 11:35 AM)BU_Insider Wrote:  No doubt the move to OVC will mean better local media coverage for the program. It's not fair that the A-Sun gets a pass in the Nashville market, but it is a reality.

Don't overlook the obvious fact that this is awful for baseball though. A-Sun is a stellar baseball conference and the OVC will hurt their ability to recruit guys from outside the southeast.

Also wonder what it will mean for Men's soccer, as OVC doesn't have that sport.
On the whole, I like the move. Great for basketball - both men's and women's. Great for those of us who like to attend basketball road games.
I hope it does not mean that we are contemplating adding football.
05-13-2011 11:43 AM
Advertisement

BU_Insider Offline
Water Engineer

No cause for concern. We will not be adding football, beacuse Athletics does not have the budget to support it. Not even close.

Football is a giant expense for facility, travel, and equipment.

The move is also, Great news for Belmont's ability to recruit KY for basketball. 2 years ago when I mentioned a move to the OVC on 104.5 Plaster laughed, but he said Byrd had wanted to do that rather than the A-Sun from the beginning.

look who's laughing now.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2011 12:25 PM by BU_Insider.)
05-13-2011 12:23 PM
Northside Bruin Offline
2nd String

(05-12-2011 05:42 PM)Bruins Wrote:  The rumor is Belmont is leaving the Atlantic Sun. The A-Sun may be dissolving.

This is by no means a shot at the ASun, as the conference has served us very well in building our program, but I am very excited. I expect our media coverage will improve and our recruiting will improve due to more local rivalries. This seems like good news right now, but we have a lot of talent to replace in the near future. Better get recruiting!!
05-13-2011 12:51 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
So uh remember 2 years ago when the OVC invited Lipscomb, Belmont, and ETSU and we all turned it down and decided to stay. My biggest fear was that Belmont would decide to leave and we would all get screwed. Looks like my fear has been realized.
05-13-2011 12:52 PM
Northside Bruin Offline
2nd String

(05-13-2011 12:52 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  So uh remember 2 years ago when the OVC invited Lipscomb, Belmont, and ETSU and we all turned it down and decided to stay. My biggest fear was that Belmont would decide to leave and we would all get screwed. Looks like my fear has been realized.

I wish that had happened. Would have been great. Would have benefited OVC too instead of taking SIUE.
05-13-2011 12:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.