Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Consider the source
Bookmark and Share
Sir Galahad Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Consider the source
I woud have posted this on the Big East board but have ZERO doubt that certain mods would either move it, or warn me(again) for flaming.

Pat Forde -Prior to joining ESPN, Forde worked for 17 years as a journalist for The Louisville Courier-Journal.

Forde's op/ed writing for ESPN is sometimes perceived as controversial, particularly in the strong value judgments he casts on individuals and athletic programs. In a December 2007 column following the hiring of Bobby Petrino as the head football coach at the University of Arkansas, Forde called Petrino a "disingenuous drifter" and warned fans of the Razorbacks that any good will Petrino showed toward them would only be "the latest pack of lies in a career full of them.

Yet in 2008, Forde served as the co-author for the University of Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino's Rebound Rules: The Art of Success 2.0. He trashes an old UL coach personally but writes a very favorable book about the current UL head basketball coach who was guilty of N.C.A.A. sanctions while and assistant at Hawaii. Pitino was implicated in 8 of the 64 violations that led to the university being placed on two years' probation.

Sad that Forde left out the hiring of Shabaka Lands by Pitino. He wanted to trash UCF for using street agents but the very same person he wrote a biography about just a year and a half ago hired Shabaka Lands to be "special assistant to the coach." Oh Shabaka Lands also happens to be the former AAU assistant basketball coach of Marquis Teague, a five star recruit. Teague signs with UK and guess what, Shabaka Lands loses his job shortly after. Is it an NCAA violation no but it is dirty, is what UCF did an NCAA violation, not but it seems dirty. I must have missed that tidbit in Forde's writings.

Pat Forde is also the same guy that seems to have a never ending attack game against UK's coach John Calipari, going so far as to have Calipari ask him if it was personal for some reason. All the while, Forde has NEVER written anything about Pitino's extra marital affairs situation, not once.

I will end with this FACT. Pete Thamel and Pat Forde have done this before for UL. Those that say well the story is in the NY Times and ESPN so it must be true should remember the name Eric Bledsoe.

Pete and Pat up to old tricks
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2011 12:08 PM by Sir Galahad.)
04-30-2011 12:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
RE: Consider the source
Couple of ????

For the past few months it has "appeared" that UL was in favor of UCF joining the Big East. So why would Pitino and UL find a way to publicly smear UCF. Thus possibly ending any hope for UCF joining the Big East.

Are you saying that the NYT and ESPN are "puppets" of Pitino? I'm sure Pitino might have gave some of that 411 to Forde and company. I'm just not sure that he gave them the entire scoop like you're trying to say here.

This whole ordeal certainly gives me more questions than answers right now. Therefore I'm going to continue to withhold judgment. The criminal background of these "runners" is interesting to say the least. Hopefully the next info that comes out isn't as damning for UCF and somewhat clears the Knights.

(P.S. calling out mods in public isn't the greatest idea)
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2011 12:23 PM by ClairtonPanther.)
04-30-2011 12:22 PM
Golden Jedi Knight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
This is one thing that bothers me about ESPN. They don't seem to be worried about having someone cover a team regardless of any conflict of interest that person might have.

For example, in 2008, the football game between Ball State and Central Michigan was televised on ESPN2. One of the analysts was Ray Bentley, a former CMU player. At the time, Bentley's son was a walk-on at CMU and had been denied a scholarship by Ball State's coaching staff. During the game, Bentley talked up CMU's Dan Lefevour and downplayed Ball State's Nate Davis, both of whom turned out to be pretty good college quarterbacks.

The fact that Bentley went to CMU and had some negative history with Ball State isn't what bothers me. It's the fact that neither he nor anyone at ESPN admitted his bias. After seeing something like this, I have to take anything I hear on ESPN with a grain of salt.

I have the most respect for news shows, sports shows, web sites, newspapers, etc. that have people that are honest about their biases regardless of whether or not I agree with their point of view. I'm not sure Pat Forde would fall into that category.
04-30-2011 12:43 PM
Heisman

(04-30-2011 12:22 PM)animus Wrote:  Couple of ????

For the past few months it has "appeared" that UL was in favor of UCF joining the Big East. So why would Pitino and UL find a way to publicly smear UCF. Thus possibly ending any hope for UCF joining the Big East.

This is a fair point. I don't think it's all about smearing UCF. I think it's more about looking out for UL's interests. If Forde has a bias in favor of UL, then I ask that he be up front about it when writing a piece like the one he just posted on ESPN's web site. The readers deserve to know information like that so that there isn't this appearance that the writer may not be entirely truthful.
04-30-2011 12:55 PM
Sir Galahad Offline
Banned

I Root For:
I am not saying that Pitino is behind this at all, I am saying that these two writers have a history of going after people that have an negative impact on Pitino. Damn the facts, who needs those, they know by throwing accusations out works just as well as facts, if not better and sure as hell is easier to do.
04-30-2011 01:02 PM
gruehls Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: the good guys

DonatorsHall of Fame
(04-30-2011 12:02 PM)Sir Galahad Wrote:  I woud have posted this on the Big East board but have ZERO doubt that certain mods would either move it, or warn me(again) for flaming.

perhaps you are capable of understanding none too subtle hints.

that's a good thing.
04-30-2011 01:07 PM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
(04-30-2011 12:55 PM)Golden Jedi Knight Wrote:  

This is a fair point. I don't think it's all about smearing UCF. I think it's more about looking out for UL's interests. If Forde has a bias in favor of UL, then I ask that he be up front about it when writing a piece like the one he just posted on ESPN's web site. The readers deserve to know information like that so that there isn't this appearance that the writer may not be entirely truthful.

For me there are just too many unknowns to simply blame Pitino and UL. There are a plethora of schools that could be at the top of the list than fed the info to Forde and the NYT.
04-30-2011 01:11 PM
Heisman

(04-30-2011 01:11 PM)animus Wrote:  

For me there are just too many unknowns to simply blame Pitino and UL. There are a plethora of schools that could be at the top of the list than fed the info to Forde and the NYT.

Animus, I'm not blaming Pitino or UL. You can have that discussion with Sir Galahad, if you want. I'm simply questioning Forde's ability to report on this situation objectively and not in a way that favors only UL.
04-30-2011 01:21 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
(04-30-2011 01:21 PM)Golden Jedi Knight Wrote:  
(04-30-2011 01:11 PM)animus Wrote:  

Animus, I'm not blaming Pitino or UL. You can have that discussion with Sir Galahad, if you want. I'm simply questioning Forde's ability to report on this situation objectively and not in a way that favors only UL.

thats fair.. it just seemed like UL been receiving the brunt of the attacks on the boads due to the. I don't know if Forde favors UL or not. I never cared for the dude. And his article here is a classic example on why don't care for him. He created a sh1tstorm and really didn't tell us the connections between UCF coach's and these runners.
04-30-2011 01:26 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Forde wrote Pitino's book, Forde lives in Louisville, Ford has season Tix to Louisville BB. What else do you need to hear?? Did D. Jones break rules, I don't know time will tell. But this all stinks big time, which is normal for college BB recruiting. It is by far the dirtiest of college sports. Big apparel companys sponsor AAU tournies, Coaches of AAU get huge kick backs while pointing kids toward the right programs. If you are a regular to 25 BB program you are swimming the slime pits. Ask Uconn and Calhoun.
04-30-2011 02:42 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(04-30-2011 02:42 PM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Forde wrote Pitino's book, Forde lives in Louisville, Ford has season Tix to Louisville BB. What else do you need to hear?? Did D. Jones break rules, I don't know time will tell. But this all stinks big time, which is normal for college BB recruiting. It is by far the dirtiest of college sports. Big apparel companys sponsor AAU tournies, Coaches of AAU get huge kick backs while pointing kids toward the right programs. If you are a regular to 25 BB program you are swimming the slime pits. Ask Uconn and Calhoun.

And Forde also lead to way to put Louisville basketball on probation in the 90s.
04-30-2011 03:05 PM
Advertisement

Sir Galahad Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(04-30-2011 01:07 PM)gruehls Wrote:  
(04-30-2011 12:02 PM)Sir Galahad Wrote:  I woud have posted this on the Big East board but have ZERO doubt that certain mods would either move it, or warn me(again) for flaming.

that's a good thing.

What you just posted would have gotten me a warning on the big east board.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2011 03:43 PM by Sir Galahad.)
04-30-2011 03:40 PM
Sir Galahad Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(04-30-2011 03:05 PM)Maize Wrote:  
(04-30-2011 02:42 PM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Forde wrote Pitino's book, Forde lives in Louisville, Ford has season Tix to Louisville BB. What else do you need to hear?? Did D. Jones break rules, I don't know time will tell. But this all stinks big time, which is normal for college BB recruiting. It is by far the dirtiest of college sports. Big apparel companys sponsor AAU tournies, Coaches of AAU get huge kick backs while pointing kids toward the right programs. If you are a regular to 25 BB program you are swimming the slime pits. Ask Uconn and Calhoun.

And Forde also lead to way to put Louisville basketball on probation in the 90s.

Ford my not be tied to UL but he sure has been tied to Pitino. He makes money off of him plan and simple. Simple logic would tell you that what is good for Pitino is good for Ford.
04-30-2011 03:42 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

Uh, if you really think this is about Kevin Ware I doubt it. Right now Louisville is more concerned to holding onto Rodney Purvis then gaining Ware whom the Louisville staff was not completely sold on to begin with and after watching him play I can understand why.
04-30-2011 03:48 PM
Sir Galahad Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Maize, I am more concerned about the conversation Pat Forde had with Ware's family. I would like to know what was said and in what context it was said. It has already been proven in less than 24 hours that Thamel left out very significant facts pertaining to the relationship between Caldwell and UCF. He made it sound like Caldwell just picked UCF out of hat and he never heard of the school before. Now we find out that his actual son has been attending UCF since before Donnie Jones even was hired by UCF and his son is friends with UCF's point guard since they were in early grade school. Simple facts like that can completely turn the story.

Now Forde calls up Ware's family and only seems to tell them that UCF had a felon working for them. Define working, IF, no one was paid. Also, is Forde a UL season ticket holder, wouldn't that make him a booster for UL as well. If he is, why is a booster contacting recruits from other schools?

No I doubt this will hurt UCF at all outside the Ware commit but what it is going to do is shine a light on the relationship between Forde, Thamel and Pitino and that should be entertaining. I am expecting the Orlando Sentinel to have a story in a few days on that one as I am sure those UK fans are watching this closely as well considering they have been hit by the same smear campaign organizers. I will call your Forde and raise you a Bianchi. I like my hand much better.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2011 04:11 PM by Sir Galahad.)
04-30-2011 04:09 PM
gruehls Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsHall of Fame
(04-30-2011 03:40 PM)Sir Galahad Wrote:  
(04-30-2011 01:07 PM)gruehls Wrote:  

that's a good thing.

What you just posted would have gotten me a warning on the big east board.

on the BE board, your reputation precedes you, and it ain't a good rep.

by the way, one difference between you and me, and there are many, is that guys like me are here because guys like you need a cattle prod indelicately applied far too often.

do us both a favor and stay away from the the BE general discussion board. there's a line forming for the honor of eliminating certain ucf trolls, you being the first one on the list.
04-30-2011 04:42 PM
Advertisement

oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
Gruehls goes back a long, long way with the CUSA crowd. I can't think of a more fair/objective admin or mod than him. There's no one who dislikes the unfair BCS/nonBCS split any more than me, but if you're having trouble with Gruehls, you may want to rethink your posts.
04-30-2011 04:50 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Galahad,

Donnie Jones skirted the rules during the few years that he was at Marshall, so are you really all that shocked that he is caught up in this crap at UCF? The guy is sleazy and he will sign anybody with a pulse and if you don't believe that then go back and look at the issues with Whiteside and Kane.
04-30-2011 04:55 PM
gruehls Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsHall of Fame
(04-30-2011 04:50 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  Gruehls goes back a long, long way with the CUSA crowd. I can't think of a more fair/objective admin or mod than him. There's no one who dislikes the unfair BCS/nonBCS split any more than me, but if you're having trouble with Gruehls, you may want to rethink your posts.

thnx to one of the classiest posters on any board ever.

i surely do miss the Tiger/Bearcat rivalry OT. someday again i hope.

be well,

g
04-30-2011 05:09 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-30-2011 04:09 PM)Sir Galahad Wrote:  Maize, I am more concerned about the conversation Pat Forde had with Ware's family. I would like to know what was said and in what context it was said. It has already been proven in less than 24 hours that Thamel left out very significant facts pertaining to the relationship between Caldwell and UCF. He made it sound like Caldwell just picked UCF out of hat and he never heard of the school before. Now we find out that his actual son has been attending UCF since before Donnie Jones even was hired by UCF and his son is friends with UCF's point guard since they were in early grade school. Simple facts like that can completely turn the story.

Now Forde calls up Ware's family and only seems to tell them that UCF had a felon working for them. Define working, IF, no one was paid. Also, is Forde a UL season ticket holder, wouldn't that make him a booster for UL as well. If he is, why is a booster contacting recruits from other schools?

No I doubt this will hurt UCF at all outside the Ware commit but what it is going to do is shine a light on the relationship between Forde, Thamel and Pitino and that should be entertaining. I am expecting the Orlando Sentinel to have a story in a few days on that one as I am sure those UK fans are watching this closely as well considering they have been hit by the same smear campaign organizers. I will call your Forde and raise you a Bianchi. I like my hand much better.

Pat Forde and Pete Themel are going to hurt their careers @ ESPN & the NYT because of Rick Pitino and ESPN & the NYT are going to give them the ok to run this story because of Rick Pitino...the New York Times/ESPN vs. the Orlando Sentinel...ok if you say so.

And if your initial post to say Pat Forde is in bed with the University of Louisville is laughable...any1 that lives here will tell you for years Forde pretty much was a hitman against Louisville when he was employed by the CJ.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2011 05:15 PM by Maize.)
04-30-2011 05:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.