Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
OT - NCAA targets Tressel in notice of allegations
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
OT - NCAA targets Tressel in notice of allegations
The NCAA didn't mention "failure to monitor" or "failure of institutional control", which is good news for the Buckeyes. But Jim Tressel is squarely in their crosshairs...

NCAA alleges Jim Tressel not honest
Quote:"It was reported that Jim Tressel, head football coach, failed to deport himself in accordance with the honesty and integrity normally associated with the conduct and administration of intercollegiate athletics and violated ethical-conduct legislation," the 13-page NCAA document says.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2011 11:11 AM by bitcruncher.)
04-25-2011 11:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
RE: OT - NCAA targets Tressel in notice of allegations
I'm glad to see the NCAA upholding their rules and going after a big gun, but it pisses me off to no end go to Rivals.com and read message board posts about how Ohio State should learn to win legitimately like Auburn. If Ohio State had won the national title, the NCAA would have turned a blind eye for 4-5 years.

If the NCAA thinks going after Jim Tressel will prevent more Auburns, they are dead wrong.
04-25-2011 12:32 PM
Find all posts by this user
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(04-25-2011 11:11 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  The NCAA didn't mention "failure to monitor" or "failure of institutional control", which is good news for the Buckeyes. But Jim Tressel is squarely in their crosshairs...

He should be. He signed a statement saying he didn't know about any violations when he surely did. He knowingly used ineligible players for a whole season. These aren't 'allegations', we already know it to be true. This is the same thing that got Pearle hoisted up.

Expect the whole 2010 Ohio State regular season to be vacated by the NCAA.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2011 01:47 PM by quo vadis.)
04-25-2011 01:38 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
(04-25-2011 01:38 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(04-25-2011 11:11 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  The NCAA didn't mention "failure to monitor" or "failure of institutional control", which is good news for the Buckeyes. But Jim Tressel is squarely in their crosshairs...

He should be. He signed a statement saying he didn't know about any violations when he surely did. He knowingly used ineligible players for a whole season. These aren't 'allegations', we already know it to be true. This is the same thing that got Pearle hoisted up.

Expect the whole 2010 Ohio State regular season to be vacated by the NCAA.

I agree quo, this is no different than Pearl. Like bit said the NCAA is looking over his shoulder, he's going to have a hard time operating.
04-25-2011 05:29 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

If he's going to be fired, we'll find out in the next day or so...
04-25-2011 05:32 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(04-25-2011 05:32 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  If he's going to be fired, we'll find out in the next day or so...

Tressel should be fired. But recall that when asked about Tressel's job status when this whole thing broke, the clownish Ohio State president said something to the effect of "i just hope he doesn't fire me", the most abject kow-towing by an administrator to a winning coach ever (and that's in the face of withering historical competition), so i don't expect him to be fired.
04-25-2011 05:40 PM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(04-25-2011 01:38 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Expect the whole 2010 Ohio State regular season to be vacated by the NCAA.

Yeah... that "penalty" always has its desired effect.
04-25-2011 05:48 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
A couple of thoughts:

Vacated wins: I HATE the NCAA's policy on vacating wins (and have for a long time). Individually I don't mind putting an asterisk next to all questionable seasons/achievements, but I hate hearing stats and having to question the legitimacy of them because I don't know what is being throw out. If they decide they need to start to doubling other penalties so be it, but as both as stats guy and a history lover, I can't stand when we start pretending like games didn't happen. Barry Bonds was a cheater, but he is now baseball's home run king no matter what I think of him and no matter what the record books say/don't say. The same is true in college football.

Tressel job status: This story doesn't change anything. This is basically just the NCAA reporting back what's already been reported to them and setting dates. OSU will not fire Tressel in my opinion at this point. If they were going to do that, they would have when the story broke. They may ask him to resign (and he would, he does love the school), but I personally am guessing that doesn't happen.

My opinion: Even if it paints a big target on our backs by the NCAA (and it will, especially given the heat they are getting from Auburn) and even if the national media hates us for it, I hope Tressel is still at OSU for a long time. His actions, while bad, are no where near bad enough to justify firing in my opinion. If he was actually a routine cheater, he would have covered up a heck of a lot better (like say hit delete on the e-mails).
04-25-2011 07:44 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Cheaters aren't welcome at Ohio State, but liars are? Interesting... 07-coffee3

I agree that vacating wins is BS. It doesn't change the fact that the kids in question didn't lose anything. But Ohio State shouldn't have been allowed to play in a bowl game last year IMO. Pryor and all the rest should have been ineligible immediately after their indiscretions were made public - and that happened before the bowl game...
04-25-2011 07:55 PM
Bearcat 1984 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati !!!
What if Ohio State had to give the money back?

Or better yet, had to take their gate and concessions and tv revenue and give it to each of their opponents?

You think that'd hurt?
04-25-2011 08:03 PM
CD11 Offline
I won.

I Root For: Myself
(04-25-2011 12:32 PM)BullsFanatic Wrote:  I'm glad to see the NCAA upholding their rules and going after a big gun, but it pisses me off to no end go to Rivals.com and read message board posts about how Ohio State should learn to win legitimately like Auburn. If Ohio State had won the national title, the NCAA would have turned a blind eye for 4-5 years.

If the NCAA thinks going after Jim Tressel will prevent more Auburns, they are dead wrong.

03-lmfao yes, Auburn is quite the bastion of integrity in both academics and athletics.

Sidebar rant: I can't help but laugh my ass off at anybody (like those Rivals commenters) who use some form of "[Team A] is corrupt and awful! Thank God [Team B [[also happens to be team I root for, but that's total coincidence]]] doesn't endorse such shameful and immoral practices, and 'wins the right way.'" College athletics are a cesspool and have been for years. If you're reading this: that absolutely includes your team. Yes, yours.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2011 08:07 PM by CD11.)
04-25-2011 08:06 PM
Advertisement

CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
(04-25-2011 08:06 PM)CD11 Wrote:  
(04-25-2011 12:32 PM)BullsFanatic Wrote:  I'm glad to see the NCAA upholding their rules and going after a big gun, but it pisses me off to no end go to Rivals.com and read message board posts about how Ohio State should learn to win legitimately like Auburn. If Ohio State had won the national title, the NCAA would have turned a blind eye for 4-5 years.

03-lmfao yes, Auburn is quite the bastion of integrity in both academics and athletics.

Sidebar rant: I can't help but laugh my ass off at anybody (like those Rivals commenters) who use some form of "[Team A] is corrupt and awful! Thank God [Team B [[also happens to be team I root for, but that's total coincidence]]] doesn't endorse such shameful and immoral practices, and 'wins the right way.'" College athletics are a cesspool and have been for years. If you're reading this: that absolutely includes your team. Yes, yours.

Ohio State is in a boatload of trouble.

Recall that they were put on probation b/c of major violations in their basketball program and still within the 5 year period for the NCAA to come back and re-visit their punishment against OSU. They would be subject to repeat violators penalties.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2011 09:56 PM by CyberBull.)
04-25-2011 09:53 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(04-25-2011 07:44 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  My opinion: Even if it paints a big target on our backs by the NCAA (and it will, especially given the heat they are getting from Auburn) and even if the national media hates us for it, I hope Tressel is still at OSU for a long time. His actions, while bad, are no where near bad enough to justify firing in my opinion.

Come on. He lied to the NCAA and knowingly allowed ineligible players to compete all year. If that doesn't merit firing, what does?

You want him to stay because you're an OSU fan and he wins 10+ games a year and beats Michigan every year. From an objective POV, he should be gone.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2011 10:36 PM by quo vadis.)
04-25-2011 10:36 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
I predict Akron gets the death penalty

Tressel coaches in CUSA in 2012

and tOSU gets penalized with an ESPN2 game with Pam Ward
04-25-2011 11:31 PM
rodtheman Offline
2nd String

I Root For: *E*C*U*
Suspect that Ohio State will be found guilty and the NCAA will penalize Miami-Ohio 5 scholarships.
04-26-2011 07:17 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
lol Texas, not only will Akron (or probably Toledo since the NCAA has a ready-made excuse to drop the hammer on them) get the death penalty I predict that Tressel wins Coach of the Year in 2012 and has a "feel good" comeback.
04-27-2011 06:02 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I like the vacated wins penalty. Ultimately, the only thing a program has is its legacy - its record of games, conference titles, bowl games, and national titles won. Strip those away, make them take down the banners, give back the trophies, etc.

That's where it really hurts.
04-28-2011 07:00 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(04-28-2011 07:00 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  I like the vacated wins penalty. Ultimately, the only thing a program has is its legacy - its record of games, conference titles, bowl games, and national titles won. Strip those away, make them take down the banners, give back the trophies, etc.

That's the new "penalty" that schools PRETEND to hate...but they actually LOVE IT because like with the Florida State debacle, they just took away from past wins from Bobby Bowden...but didn't put in any penalties that would hinder new Head Coach Jimbo Fisher's recruiting classes, TV games, future bowl appearances, etc...

Heck...thats why the schools themselves worked with the NCAA (which they basically own themselves since its a member-based organization) on coming up with the "vacated wins" penalty because bowl bans, major loss of scholarships, tv bans, etc...hurt far worse and for FAR longer (effects of these penalties would last several years after the fact).

As one commentator noted the other day on a potential likely scenario with Tressel:

OSU AD and obviously their President are way too afraid to fire Tressel (would feel the rath from hundreds of thousands of their alumni and virtually ALL of their major boosters) so to save face...they may work behind the scenes with the NCAA on a deal where the NCAA basically "fires/removes" Tressel...so OSU leadership are not seen publicly as the bad guy...and with Tressel's removal, OSU is spared some of the more severe penalties (i.e. major loss of scholarship, tv bans, etc...) while NCAA will enforce vacated wins, return of bowl $$$$, etc....instead.
04-28-2011 07:25 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(04-28-2011 07:25 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(04-28-2011 07:00 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  I like the vacated wins penalty. Ultimately, the only thing a program has is its legacy - its record of games, conference titles, bowl games, and national titles won. Strip those away, make them take down the banners, give back the trophies, etc.

That's the new "penalty" that schools PRETEND to hate...but they actually LOVE IT because like with the Florida State debacle, they just took away from past wins from Bobby Bowden...but didn't put in any penalties that would hinder new Head Coach Jimbo Fisher's recruiting classes, TV games, future bowl appearances, etc...

Heck...thats why the schools themselves worked with the NCAA (which they basically own themselves since its a member-based organization) on coming up with the "vacated wins" penalty because bowl bans, major loss of scholarships, tv bans, etc...hurt far worse and for FAR longer (effects of these penalties would last several years after the fact).

Those 'far longer' effects are theoretical. But when Michigan has to take down a final 4 banner or USC has to give back a crystal football or Heisman, those are real accomplishments being erased.

As soon as something happens, it's history. The schools may only care about the forward-looking penalties because that affects future dollars (which is their main concern), but as a fan, it's the past accomplishments on the field, the actual achievements, that i take pride in. The trophies in the trophy case.

So that's what hurts the most to lose, to me.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2011 08:39 AM by quo vadis.)
04-28-2011 08:10 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Ohio State should be banned from post season competition as long as Tressel is in charge of their football program. It won't happen. But it should. If I was a parent, the last person I'd want molding my child is Jim Tressel. Hopefully, there are still some parents smart enough to realize that fact...
04-28-2011 09:29 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.