Thread Closed 
Rich Rod: "It was a mistake... wasn't the best move"
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
Rich Rod: "It was a mistake... wasn't the best move"
http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbss...8/28735583

Quote:Any regrets in hindsight jumping from West Virginia to Michigan

RR: You know that's a fair question, and I've been asked that before. I think it's easy to go back now and say, "Gee, made a mistake." And you can say that now because of hindsight. But at the time, some of the things I was looking to do and the opportunity that was there you kind of make the move. The frustrating part for us was that we thought we battled through the tougher times to get it to this point where we had a lot of the team coming back and we thought we were getting ready to take off, but you know hindsight is always easier to look back and say, "it was a mistake." Because we did have a good thing going at West Virginia, and we really enjoyed it. As you look back at it, wasn't the best move. Easy to say now.

Actually, Rich, plenty of people tried to warn you that it was a mistake when you did it. The aborted flirtation with Alabama and the aftermath should have served as a big clue. Sometimes people fail to recognize that they were given plenty of signs and then say "who knew?" WE ALL DID, YOU IMBECILE!!!

USFFan
04-23-2011 01:29 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

usffan Offline
Heisman

RE: Rich Rod: "It was a mistake... wasn't the best move"

USFFan
04-23-2011 01:38 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I saw that first thing this morning. But I didn't post it because every WVU fan on the face of the Earth knew it was a bad move. It just took 3 years to learn what everyone except RR and Michigan saw as obvious....
04-23-2011 01:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Bit that's just like the Big East adding Villanova!
04-23-2011 02:09 PM
frogman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
Sounds to me like Rich wants his old job back.

And something tells me he gets it.

"I still love coaching, I'm open to another opportunity, but we'll see," Rodriguez said. "If something comes open after this season, and it seems like it may be a good opportunity for me and someone is interested, I'm sure I'll look into it."- RichRod (the coach formerly known as DickRod).

Nobody cries like Rich.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2011 02:39 PM by frogman.)
04-23-2011 02:25 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RR may want his old job back. But I don't think it's going to happen...
04-23-2011 03:58 PM
Advertisement

thecomet89 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU
Rich Rod will never coach at wvu again and if he does ill never watch a game again!
04-23-2011 04:23 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

So whats the most logical opening that he might be interested in after next season??? I would think if an opening amongst the BE comes about he will get a look, but I don't see one unless something drastic happens. So where does everyone think he might have a shot at landing a job???
04-23-2011 04:36 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(04-23-2011 04:36 PM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  So whats the most logical opening that he might be interested in after next season??? I would think if an opening amongst the BE comes about he will get a look, but I don't see one unless something drastic happens. So where does everyone think he might have a shot at landing a job???

Villanova? 03-lmfao
04-23-2011 04:52 PM
frogman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
I didn't think you guys would still be mad at Rich. I mean the last game he coached at WVU you were a backyard brawl from playing for the national title.

But it sounds like some wounds won't be healing.

So VIllanova it is for Richrod.
04-23-2011 05:03 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

(04-23-2011 04:52 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  
(04-23-2011 04:36 PM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  So whats the most logical opening that he might be interested in after next season??? I would think if an opening amongst the BE comes about he will get a look, but I don't see one unless something drastic happens. So where does everyone think he might have a shot at landing a job???

Villanova? 03-lmfao

Well I know that is a joke, but if they were to move up and he wanted to re-establish himself then that would be a good place for him as well as for Nova, but his ego is to big IMO to take a rebuilding situation like that.

I personally think he will land somewhere probably in CUSA or the SunBelt, and who knows he could land with a team who is being looked at for expansion into the BE with UCF if they can O'Leary for what ever might come about between now and then.
04-23-2011 05:04 PM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(04-23-2011 01:29 PM)usffan Wrote:  http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbss...8/28735583

Quote:Any regrets in hindsight jumping from West Virginia to Michigan

RR: You know that's a fair question, and I've been asked that before. I think it's easy to go back now and say, "Gee, made a mistake." And you can say that now because of hindsight. But at the time, some of the things I was looking to do and the opportunity that was there you kind of make the move. The frustrating part for us was that we thought we battled through the tougher times to get it to this point where we had a lot of the team coming back and we thought we were getting ready to take off, but you know hindsight is always easier to look back and say, "it was a mistake." Because we did have a good thing going at West Virginia, and we really enjoyed it. As you look back at it, wasn't the best move. Easy to say now.

Actually, Rich, plenty of people tried to warn you that it was a mistake when you did it. The aborted flirtation with Alabama and the aftermath should have served as a big clue. Sometimes people fail to recognize that they were given plenty of signs and then say "who knew?" WE ALL DID, YOU IMBECILE!!!

USFFan

2 words say it all on his statement:

No s#!t
04-23-2011 05:15 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
If RR says it was a mistake to leave WVU, well who can argue with him? But at the time, it was hard to blame him. He got to move up to one of the "blue blood" football programs, and at a good increase of salary.

Remember, after Rutgers' big 2006 season, Schiano turned down both the Miami and Michigan jobs to stay at Rutgers, and that turned out to be a huge mistake too. Rutgers has gone downhill since 2007, Schiano's stock has gone from hot to cold, and he never cashed in.

RR did not exactly burn up the Big East the first 4 years he led the team. Then, he acquired two tremendous college athletes in White and Slaton. Maybe he figured with those guys gone, there'd be no guarantee that WVU would have remained in the top 10 anyway, so get out while the getting was good?
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2011 09:00 PM by quo vadis.)
04-23-2011 06:41 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Rich Rod will coach at Temple or Marshall next!
04-23-2011 09:23 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
RichRod is definitely headed to the MAC or CUSA as a HC. But I see him being a coordinator somewhere before getting that opportunity again.
04-23-2011 10:49 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(04-23-2011 03:58 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  RR may want his old job back. But I don't think it's going to happen...

Better odds that Nick Saban gets rehired in Baton Rouge

And to usffan -- thanks for the 80s flashback. I never knew that Men-At-Work song was meant to be "political."
04-23-2011 10:57 PM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(04-23-2011 06:41 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  If RR says it was a mistake to leave WVU, well who can argue with him? But at the time, it was hard to blame him. He got to move up to one of the "blue blood" football programs, and at a good increase of salary.
I thought it was a huge F-ing mistake at the time. I don't know a lot of WVU fans very well, but the one I do know thought it was the most bone-headed career-move he had heard of in a long, long time. I had a long meeting with him the very day RR made the announcement, and both of us were stunned.
04-23-2011 11:00 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(04-23-2011 10:57 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(04-23-2011 03:58 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  RR may want his old job back. But I don't think it's going to happen...

I don't think so. Despite the anger at Saban for joining another SEC team, especially Alabama, there's also a tremendous amount of respect for what he did at LSU. In just 3 years, he awakened a long-sleeping giant and gave Tigers fans who had been living off 50-year old glory their best days ever. Saban came in to town and imposed his program on Baton Rouge, bent the whole football culture to his will, a very difficult thing to do given the deep-rooted local culture, and exactly what RR failed to do at Michigan. A whole lot of folks around here are in some kind of awe of him. When Tigers fans use terms like "Nick Satan" and the like, there's a healthy dose of fear and respect in it, as much as there is ridicule.

At WVU, while they seem to acknowledge a debt for the top teams RR put together from 05-07, there seems to be a much stronger feeling that RR gave the university the shaft with his bogus lawsuit trying to get out of the $4 million buyout clause in his contract, the dirty laundry that was aired before the settlement, and because he had publicly stated a long-term commitment to WVU after turning down the Bama job the year before. The acrimony about RR seems much greater than what LSU feels towards Saban.

Saban and LSU never went through anything like that.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2011 11:44 PM by quo vadis.)
04-23-2011 11:39 PM
pilot172000 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tech/ Bama
DUH!!! RR had a great job at WV. I wouldn't have wanted to go to UM if I had a gig like WVU.
04-23-2011 11:48 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

(04-23-2011 11:39 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(04-23-2011 10:57 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  

I don't think so. Despite the anger at Saban for joining another SEC team, especially Alabama, there's also a tremendous amount of respect for what he did at LSU. In just 3 years, he awakened a long-sleeping giant and gave Tigers fans who had been living off 50-year old glory their best days ever. Saban came in to town and imposed his program on Baton Rouge, bent the whole football culture to his will, a very difficult thing to do given the deep-rooted local culture, and exactly what RR failed to do at Michigan. A whole lot of folks around here are in some kind of awe of him. When Tigers fans use terms like "Nick Satan" and the like, there's a healthy dose of fear and respect in it, as much as there is ridicule.

At WVU, while they seem to acknowledge a debt for the top teams RR put together from 05-07, there seems to be a much stronger feeling that RR gave the university the shaft with his bogus lawsuit trying to get out of the $4 million buyout clause in his contract, the dirty laundry that was aired before the settlement, and because he had publicly stated a long-term commitment to WVU after turning down the Bama job the year before. The acrimony about RR seems much greater than what LSU feels towards Saban.

Saban and LSU never went through anything like that.

Which would explain why there are better odds that Saban would be rehired in Baton Rouge than RR getting rehired in Morgantown.

[Image: rif-logo-blue_large.gif]

It's tough to be the Oracle of NCAABBS when you make such blatant mistakes.

USFFan
04-23-2011 11:59 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.