Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
ND vs. LSU [split] Champs Sports Bowl Date...
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
ND vs. LSU [split] Champs Sports Bowl Date...
(04-22-2011 04:52 PM)TerryD Wrote:  There were a lot of non-local ND fans at the last Sun Bowl. Most of the locals managed to buy ND gear in time for the game.

It felt like an ND home game. I rarely saw anyone not in Notre Dame jackets, caps, etc...

Many locals told me that having Notre Dame come to the Sun Bowl was a long time dream come true for the bowl committee and the fans.

Yes, Notre Dame is unique in that more times than not, when they draw well on the road, it's not necessarily because their fans "travel well", it's that they have so many local fans - Catholics especially. Those local fans just come out of the woodwork wherever the Irish play. That's how come they draw in New York, San Antonio, El Paso, wherever.

And not just Catholics, but also people who just want to see Notre Dame because they are .. Notre Dame. E.g., i've lived in Baton Rouge for 16 years now, and i've been to exactly one LSU home game - against Notre Dame in 1997. And i didn't go to cheer for them, to me it was like the Yankees or Lakers were in town. I just wanted to see the famous team in person ...

Incidentally, IIRC that game was distinctive in Notre Dame history, in that it was the first time they played an entire game without a penalty or turnover.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2011 08:22 PM by quo vadis.)
04-22-2011 08:14 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
RE: Champs Sports Bowl Date...
I was at that game with my then 10 year old oldest son.

LSU was ranked #11 at the time. ND was 4-5 in its first year after Holtz retired and Bob Davie took over.

Callers and hosts of Baton Rouge sports talk radio were predicting a 35 point LSU victory.

It was a cold, windy game. The Irish smothered the Tigers. It was a total ND rout.

LSU fans began leaving Tiger Stadium in droves shortly after halftime. By the middle of the fourth quarter, it was mostly only the 5,000 or so Irish fans left in the stadium celebrating and listening to the Victory March.

The final score was 24-6, Irish. it was no way even that close. As you said, ND had no turnovers and no penalties (in Tiger Stadium, with SEC refs....).

I stayed until well after the game ended. I had been living in Baton Rouge for over 14 years by then.

I walked through the almost empty stadium parking lots whistling the Victory March. it was glorious..........
04-22-2011 09:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Nola Gator Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Florida
Slightly revisionist history. I was at that game also. The weather was abysmal and both teams played in a monsoon. Fans left early but your exaggeration is just silly.

Also, how did the rematch in the bowl game go? I seem to recall LSU rolling over the Irish.[/align]
04-22-2011 11:15 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(04-22-2011 09:23 PM)TerryD Wrote:  I was at that game with my then 10 year old oldest son.

LSU was ranked #11 at the time. ND was 4-5 in its first year after Holtz retired and Bob Davie took over.

Callers and hosts of Baton Rouge sports talk radio were predicting a 35 point LSU victory.

It was a cold, windy game. The Irish smothered the Tigers. It was a total ND rout.

LSU fans began leaving Tiger Stadium in droves shortly after halftime. By the middle of the fourth quarter, it was mostly only the 5,000 or so Irish fans left in the stadium celebrating and listening to the Victory March.

The final score was 24-6, Irish. it was no way even that close. As you said, ND had no turnovers and no penalties (in Tiger Stadium, with SEC refs....).

I stayed until well after the game ended. I had been living in Baton Rouge for over 14 years by then.

I walked through the almost empty stadium parking lots whistling the Victory March. it was glorious..........

I have a souvenir from that game - a stiff neck. On the way to the game, there was a traffic jam westbound on I-12 near the College drive exit, and the guy driving a pickup behind me didn't notice in time and plowed into me pretty good. I weighed about 330 pounds at the time but remember floating in space for a moment, i was lifted straight up out of my seat by the impact, wasn't wearing a seat belt.

Fortunately, my body didn't bang around in the cab and hit anything so i was just "shaken up". The car suffered about $2000 in damage to the rear (and some in the front, since he knocked me into the car ahead of me), but it was still drivable so i just kept on going to the game! It was only the next morning that i woke up with the whiplash pain, and that has never entirely gone away. Every couple months it flairs up for a couple days and bothers me. A doctor told me that one of my neck joints is somewhat askew, but not bad enough to warrant surgery (i'm supposed to avoid rollercoasters, LOL). You hear about people putting on neck braces and faking whiplash to sue the insurance company, but i really did have it but didn't file any medical claims.

Anyway, my recollection of the game itself was the same as yours. It was Davie's first year and the Irish were flailing their way through a mediocre year, a mid-November game, chilly and rainy (but "Nola gator" is wrong, it was NOT a "monsoon" by any stretch, more like a drizzle, i never pulled out an umbrella), and the LSU fans in the stands around me were obnoxious, expecting an easy win for the Tigers. I wore a USF shirt to indicate my neutrality (even though probably 90% of those around me had never even heard of USF, it was our first year of IAA football), so wasn't bothered by anyone.

Notre Dame played a perfect game (even Ron Paulus was accurate on his passes, LOL), the running game clicked, and LSU was beaten soundly much to the dismay of the arrogant Tigers fans. Of course LSU did even it out for that season by beating ND badly in the Independence Bowl re-match a couple months later.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2011 11:57 PM by quo vadis.)
04-22-2011 11:48 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

My recollection is perfect.

I was at the bowl game in Shreveport later that year too.

Stayed that whole game. LSU won 27-9. It rained like hell.

LSU backup running back Rondell Meally went around left end for 79 yards on a sweep play in the third quarter.

He ran for over 200 yards (227, I think) against ND that game.

Did I miss anything?????
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2011 12:20 AM by TerryD.)
04-22-2011 11:55 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

Thanks, Quo. I appreciate the back up .

I remember that game perfectly.

I do no lie or exaggerate. Nola gator can kiss my ass.

P.S. Sorry you were in an accident that day, Quo. I am glad you wern't hurt.

LSU fans are always obnoxious, as you know.

I was wearing an ND jacket that day even though I am a graduate of LSU Law School.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2011 12:07 AM by TerryD.)
04-22-2011 11:59 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(04-22-2011 11:15 PM)Nola Gator Wrote:  Slightly revisionist history. I was at that game also. The weather was abysmal and both teams played in a monsoon. Fans left early but your exaggeration is just silly.

In your sig, you talk about reasoned, logical debate, but this post was pointless bating of an ND fan with a sterling reputation on this board. He didn't exaggerate anything about the game or the weather and even if he did, what's it to a Gators fan?

I'm as much against sugar coating as anyone around here, but don't think noob nonsense will be tolerated. Use your law-school brain and make intelligent posts.
04-23-2011 12:01 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(04-22-2011 11:55 PM)TerryD Wrote:  My recollection is perfect.

I was at the bowl game in Shreveport later that year too.

Stayed that whole game. LSU won 27-9. It rained like he'll.

LSU backup running back went around left end for 79 yards on a Play in the third quarter.

He ran for over 200 yards against ND that game.

Did I miss anything?????

I watched that bowl game from the cozy confines of my apartment in Sherwood Forest. My recollection is that the game was very close at the half. Notre Dame arguably outplayed LSU in the first half but couldn't translate it into points on the scoreboard.

Then, in the second half, Rondell Mealey (spelling?) just busted loose. The LSU o-line found some weakness in the Notre Dame DL and suddenly he started gaining huge chunks up the middle, punctuated by the 80-yard TD run around the end, and the rout was on. It was one of Gerry Dinardo's best coaching games. He made the right adjustments at halftime and ND had no answers.

And yes i agree. LSU fans like to think of themselves as among the most rabid, best fans in the country, but they have a strong fair-weather streak in them. They are crazy-supportive when things go well, but if the team falls off, those 93,000 in Tiger stadium drops to 60,000 or so very quickly. And if the opponent is a weak team, then only 60,000 show up to begin with. The best fan-bases are the ones that fill the stadium no matter if the team is having a winning or losing season, and no matter if the opponent is Alabama or McNeese State, and that's not LSU.

And they are very quick to turn on LSU players and coaches who have proven themselves (e.g., right now, Paul Manieri, the ex-ND baseball coach who has won a national title at LSU, is being raked over the coals just because LSU is having one disappointing baseball season).
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2011 12:11 AM by quo vadis.)
04-23-2011 12:05 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

For my young Gator friend:

"1997
Situation: In Bob Davie’s debut season as the head coach, Notre Dame limps into its bye week one game under .500 (4-5) after barely extending its winning streak to 34 against Navy with a 21-17 victory. A clutch fourth down play is barely converted on the game-winning drive by the Irish, and Allen Rossum’s tackle of a Navy player near the Irish one on the last play of the game saves the day. Davie is perceived as way in over his head, and it is expected to be displayed even more in the next month.

Bleak Outlook: Similar to 1984, the 4-5 Irish have to travel to No. 11 LSU, which had defeated No. 1 Florida earlier in the year. Then it has to face No. 22 West Virginia before traveling to Hawaii. No way can they run the table and finish with a winning record.

Response: In the 24-6 victory at LSU, Notre Dame bolts to a 17-0 first-quarter lead and Tiger Stadium is nearly empty by the end of the third quarter when the lead expands to 24-0. The game marks the first time ever an Irish team commits neither a turnover nor a penalty in the same contest (still not duplicated). "

http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/M...sings-6888

How young were you when you were at that game on November 15, 1997? Perhaps your memory is a bit unclear.....
04-23-2011 08:22 AM
pilot172000 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tech/ Bama
RE: ND vs. LSU [split] Champs Sports Bowl Date...
Why did it take 6 post to bash the guy about a game that happened 14 years ago? Yeah he said something kinda stupid but, the double team was a little much. As a BR native I remember well how the Irish thrashed the Tigers at home in a monsoon, during a day game. The tigers were terribly overrated and didnt play well. The Indy Bowl proved the pont that either team was really worth a crap. I mean no disrepect to some guys living in my home town, especially in the defense of a gator, but it needed mentioning. Fair weather fans yes, but the weather was horrible that game.
04-24-2011 01:08 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(04-24-2011 01:08 AM)pilot172000 Wrote:  Why did it take 6 post to bash the guy about a game that happened 14 years ago?
It looked to me like 2 guys remembering something they both witnessed 14 years ago. There was no bashing, except in the description of a whipping LSU took on their home field, which in itself is a rarity and worthy of discussion. I think you need to grow up, grow some thicker skin, and not spend all your time looking for something to complain about...

If 2 people want to discuss mutual shared history, I have no problem with it...

BTW, pilot172000, you have no idea how many conversations I've seen about Pitt keeping WVU from playing in the 2008 BCS Championship game...
04-24-2011 08:33 AM
Advertisement

MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
The 2007 Sugar Bowl was my favorite ND vs LSU matchup.
04-24-2011 09:35 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(04-24-2011 09:35 AM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  The 2007 Sugar Bowl was my favorite ND vs LSU matchup.

I went to that game, too (i've been to two bowl games - the 2007 Sugar and the first BCS title game, the 1999 Fiesta). LSU had a huge talent advantage. ND hung around in the first half but then LSU just overwhelmed them in the second half. Heck they dominated even with JaMarcus at the helm, LOL.
04-24-2011 09:49 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

The 2006 Sugar Bowl was close at the half, but LSU overwhelmed the Irish in the second half and won 41-14.

I was at that game too, as well as the 1998 ND/LSU game at South Bend in the snow/cold in November, 1998. ND won in a wild game, 39-36.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZpPZETJRnM

Although I loved the 1997 game, my favorite is either that 1998 game or the 1984 game in Tiger Stadium, when Gerry Faust's team beat the heavily favored Tigers 30-22.

I was sitting in the LSU student section but cheering for Notre Dame. The ND and LSU series is tied at 5-5 since 1970. The series is 2-2 since the referenced 1997 game.

I hope the two schools schedule some more games in the future. It is a good series.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2011 06:12 AM by TerryD.)
04-25-2011 06:09 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(04-25-2011 06:09 AM)TerryD Wrote:  The 2006 Sugar Bowl was close at the half, but LSU overwhelmed the Irish in the second half and won 41-14.

I was at that game too, as well as the 1998 ND/LSU game at South Bend in the snow/cold in November, 1998. ND won in a wild game, 39-36.

I remember watching that 1998 game on TV. What i remember from it was ND blew a BCS bowl opportunity at the end, when Davie had the QB take a safety to preserve the win, but in the process the QB was injured on the play.

The next week, without their QB, Notre Dame couldn't muster any offense against a bad pre-Carroll era USC team, lost the game, and the BCS bid.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2011 06:59 AM by quo vadis.)
04-25-2011 06:58 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(04-25-2011 06:09 AM)TerryD Wrote:  The 2006 Sugar Bowl was close at the half, but LSU overwhelmed the Irish in the second half and won 41-14.
What do you mean? The 2006 Sugar Bowl wasn't even close at the half. WVU had a huge lead on Georgia. Don't you remember all those dumbfounded Dawg fans in the Georgia Dome?

I think you slipped a digit, dude...
04-25-2011 08:12 AM
Advertisement

MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

The 2006 Sugar Bowl was close at the half too. WVU lead Georgia 31-21.
04-25-2011 08:13 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

A TEN point lead isn't close, except on Fantasy Island. Ten points is within striking distance, but it ain't close. A close game is a FG or less...
04-25-2011 08:21 AM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

It was certainly close. WVU jumped out to a big lead but that evaporated by the 2nd quarter. Everyone in the stadium knew that it was a tight game.
04-25-2011 08:42 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

Oops, I meant the 2007 Sugar Bowl....
04-25-2011 09:19 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.