Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Today's Press Conference
Bookmark and Share
KPJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
Today's Press Conference
I got the chance to attend today's press conference and wanted to share some thoughts:

- I love the commitment to connecting the past to the present/future. Seeing former players in the audience was nice too. Apart from retiring the jersey's of Gervin and Boykins I haven't seen much of the past connected to the program since I've been here.

- I liked seeing Derrick Coleman and Terrance Roberts from Syracuse there as well as Dante Darling and Antonio Gates. It shows me that there is alot of support for this guy within the community. There were several others there as well.

- I liked his comments on commitment to the community and his willingness to be open to community interaction.

That being said, we still have to see what kind of coach he'll be here at EMU. I'll choose to remain optimistic though.
04-21-2011 12:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dennis D. Rachwal Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eagles
RE: Today's Press Conference
NICE REPORT

DID HE SAY ANYTHING ABOUT RECRUITING?

ASSISTANT COACHES?

THXS
04-21-2011 01:07 PM
KPJ Offline
1st String

Recruiting:
He was clear that every HS program in Michigan (not just Detroit) would know who he was and what EMU was all about. Then he talked about branching out within the Midwest (i believe).

Assistants:
TBA... Still looking
Moore, Thomas, Highfield and Wendale Farrow the GA were all present at the press conference though.
Didn't see McDowell. There were alot of people there though, so perhaps I missed him.
04-21-2011 01:41 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
How does Murphy's 215k plus 15k for radio match up against Ramsey's salary when he was hired?

I was thinking it would take 300k to hire a head coach.
04-21-2011 02:23 PM
EMUDirtyBird Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-21-2011 02:23 PM)emu79 Wrote:  How does Murphy's 215k plus 15k for radio match up against Ramsey's salary when he was hired?

I was thinking it would take 300k to hire a head coach.

I liked the caveat that ties money to butts in seat. Probably not a large chunk but nice to see that EMU is committed to turning around the sorry attendance.
04-21-2011 02:36 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
I watched it on EMU Eagle Vision.

What impressed and it should be NO (!) surprise is that Rob is a GREAT fit for EMU.

First his Detroit background as a player and h.s. coach, his knowledge of EMU pre-dating his college years, his contacts during the time of Darling and Gates, his trips to the Convo as an asst coach at Kent, etc.

I told Dennis Monday or Tuesday that Rob was my pick of the asst coaches who interviewed.

This program needed a young, high energy coach who is from Detroit and a 'basketball is what we do' type.

Players will love to play for Rob. He should be very successfull as a coach and a recruiter.

I love these fits, Rob to EMU and Gary Waters if he hadn't got the Kent job he would have been a great choice to replace Braun. Waters is another coach who was 100% at home in S.E. Michigan and the MAC (I believe Gary's daughter may have gone to CMU and competed in athletics).

I feel a lot better about Rob then Ramsey. Ramsey came from the Amaker/Ramsey program at UofM which, to me, really underachieved badly. That was a red flag.

I really, honestly can not think of a better resume for a young asst coach looking to coach at EMU then Robs.

NO team Rob has been with underachieves.

The other thing which really impressed me is that Rob has won everywhere he's been.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2011 03:50 PM by emu steve.)
04-21-2011 03:40 PM
1st String

Good Points

Well Said

He will definately be active

WOTS on Ramsey was that he didn't work very hard!

Now have Rob go out and get some assistant coaches - appears that he may interview the group of formet EMU assistants that were in the audience or else why would they be there?
04-21-2011 03:48 PM
1st String

Is it a foregone conclusion that recruiting (class of 2011) is over?

Would be nice if he could bring in a PG that can penetrate and play.
04-21-2011 03:50 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Sometimes one has to go with the gut.

I was never ever sure about Ramsey, even the night he beat Ben Braun's Cal Bears.

I, and I think most knows this, that I was a firm believer in Ron English from before he was hired. I was 'on board' from day one.

I'm on board with Rob from day one.

I hope he wins and stays a long time and I hope we can pay him to stay.

I love a coach who can say "I'm home. I want to stay home. I don't want to change jobs every couple of years, move from coast to coast or region to region just to climb up some ladder."
04-21-2011 04:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.