Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Navy Rumors and why they are questionable
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Navy Rumors and why they are questionable
Read on a message board recently that Navy could be in the mix if Big East goes 12.

I believe Army and Navy have been in discussions in the past and have turned down offers. (my memory might be wrong tho)

To me it doesn't make sense for Army, Navy or Air Force to be in any discussions for a BCS conference. The academies are built to produce military officers. These kids sign military contracts and make obligations to serve our country for at least 4 years.

If big name athletes begin to go Navy and shoot for a national title, their NFL draft stock goes up. Then it becomes a PR nightmare because these athletes might be a 1st round selection, wanting to go to the NFL, but are signed to military obligations.

Don't know if many people remember Caleb Campbell's story a few year back. If that starts to happen your going to have kids back out of their military contracts. That seems to contradict the intentions of the Naval Academy.

As far as money and revenue go I can see why the Big East would prefer Navy. However the military already considers its cadets as assets.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2011 01:09 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
04-06-2011 12:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Brown Bull Offline
usf97

I Root For: USF
RE: Navy Rumors and why they are questionable
Geographically it would make sense.
04-06-2011 12:56 PM
chrisharper80 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
Where did you read that Navy could be in the mix?
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2011 01:16 PM by chrisharper80.)
04-06-2011 12:58 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Really hope that doesn't happen for the reasons you already stated.

Its one thing to have a David Robinson type athlete, but the second you have a kid who tries to sue his way out his contract so he can go pro, its a PR nightmare.

Hopefully the Academies would only take athletes who understand that they have a military obligation first and an athletic one second (and have signed a statement of understanding to that effect) regardless of what that does to their level of competition.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2011 01:14 PM by 10thMountain.)
04-06-2011 01:13 PM
New York Bull Offline
1st String

Well, the military always needs good press right. For every academy kid there are hundreds of 18 year olds starting their commitment to the military immediately following high school.

If you have an athlete go pro, alter their contact to a reservist-type scenario. A month or so in the offseason, probably also running the media gauntlet and providing morale boost and positive PR to the service, with an additional year or two following retirement from league.

IDK why they couldn't do that. They'd only lose a handful of officers and gain a lot of free publicity.
04-06-2011 01:14 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
The academies have been approached about membership several times over the years and each time they have indicated to the Big East that they have ZERO interest in joining our league so this discussion is moot. However if they were to change course I would be a HUGE supporter of their candidacy. So too would anyone who has ever been to a game in Annapolis or West Point. The georgaphy works, their histories are outstanding and the pageantry associated with their games is second to none. It's not going to happen but if it did I would strongly favor them over every other realistic candidate.
04-06-2011 01:20 PM
Advertisement

Goldenbuc Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(04-06-2011 12:58 PM)chrisharper80 Wrote:  Where did you read that Navy could be in the mix?

You know exactly where.

Although that's not confirmed about Navy. But it makes sense as a football-only option if going to 12 and ESPN looks to really want that 12 team conference.

Either way...looks like Houston may be the clear-cut front runner. Congrats. Not only that...UCF may be out of the mix, it seems.
04-06-2011 01:22 PM
UCFKnight10 Offline
Special Teams

(04-06-2011 01:22 PM)Goldenbuc Wrote:  Either way...looks like Houston may be the clear-cut front runner. Congrats. Not only that...UCF may be out of the mix, it seems.
Says who exactly? The boards/blogs are an echo chamber. So far the BE has said nothing. Every time a school has something to brag about they immediately become a "front runner". UCF was a front runner when they won the Liberty Bowl and had an undefeated Basketball team. Why? Because beat writers and bloggers saw that and hopped on whatever rumors they could find. Houston is the front runner now. Why? Because of rumors that their stadium might get funding/naming rights soon. Who is the real front runner? Nova.
04-06-2011 01:46 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
(04-06-2011 01:13 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Really hope that doesn't happen for the reasons you already stated.

Its one thing to have a David Robinson type athlete, but the second you have a kid who tries to sue his way out his contract so he can go pro, its a PR nightmare.

Hopefully the Academies would only take athletes who understand that they have a military obligation first and an athletic one second (and have signed a statement of understanding to that effect) regardless of what that does to their level of competition.

That's the thing I think your going to have to deal with both types of people and it will be a huge mess.

You would think they already recruit athletes who understand their military obligation. Your always going to have kids who change their mind and believe they should go to the NFL if they can be drafted.

If you let them out for football then your opening the door for other sports and cadets who excel in something to be released.
04-06-2011 01:48 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
From the BEs side Army and Navy:

1)Would be huge draws for the old Eastern teams plus Uconn and Nova. Not sure how it would play with the former CUSA schools though

2) Adding the Army/Navy game plus their "home games" with Notre Dame every now and then would do wonders for the BE tv contract

From the academies point of view

Can't really see how it would benefit them except maybe in home attendance and maybe tv money. It certainly wouldn't be a good thing for them on the field

Jackson
04-06-2011 01:55 PM
Goldenbuc Offline
1st String

(04-06-2011 01:46 PM)UCFKnight10 Wrote:  
(04-06-2011 01:22 PM)Goldenbuc Wrote:  Either way...looks like Houston may be the clear-cut front runner. Congrats. Not only that...UCF may be out of the mix, it seems.
Says who exactly? The boards/blogs are an echo chamber. So far the BE has said nothing. Every time a school has something to brag about they immediately become a "front runner". UCF was a front runner when they won the Liberty Bowl and had an undefeated Basketball team. Why? Because beat writers and bloggers saw that and hopped on whatever rumors they could find. Houston is the front runner now. Why? Because of rumors that their stadium might get funding/naming rights soon. Who is the real front runner? Nova.

I'm feeling pretty strongly on my opinion. My optism is very low and it wouldn't help if it were very high. I've been glass half full this entire process until recently and it's starting to make sense, now.

There's more to it regarding Houston, I believe. It was a bad sign as soon as their president met with the Big East presidents (which I believe is completely true). So in my opinion....it's not looking good for UCF. Looks like USF go their way. I'm not going to accept Houston's TV market as any reason why, either.
04-06-2011 01:56 PM
Advertisement

The Brown Bull Offline
usf97

Come back from the ledge Goldy, let's not get ahead of ourselves. You've had hope for months now, no point in giving up right at the very end.

Let's see what happens Tuesday, less than a week away and then we should know something. I am sure the back-story on what all went on will come out eventually.
04-06-2011 02:07 PM
dogma Offline
Special Teams

(04-06-2011 01:56 PM)Goldenbuc Wrote:  
(04-06-2011 01:46 PM)UCFKnight10 Wrote:  

I'm feeling pretty strongly on my opinion. My optism is very low and it wouldn't help if it were very high. I've been glass half full this entire process until recently and it's starting to make sense, now.

There's more to it regarding Houston, I believe. It was a bad sign as soon as their president met with the Big East presidents (which I believe is completely true). So in my opinion....it's not looking good for UCF. Looks like USF go their way. I'm not going to accept Houston's TV market as any reason why, either.

If this is true
Who would be the front runners for CUSA's replacement

I have heard if UCF moves up, it being FIU/FAU to keep the Florida market (I think FIU has a lot of potential.)
I've also heard Temple.
04-06-2011 02:15 PM
UCFKnight10 Offline
Special Teams

(04-06-2011 02:15 PM)dogma Wrote:  If this is true
Who would be the front runners for CUSA's replacement

I have heard if UCF moves up, it being FIU/FAU to keep the Florida market (I think FIU has a lot of potential.)
I've also heard Temple.
I think Temple for the 1st spot regardless. FIU for the second spot if UCF goes. I really have no idea after that.
04-06-2011 02:20 PM
Goldenbuc Offline
1st String

(04-06-2011 02:07 PM)The Brown Bull Wrote:  Come back from the ledge Goldy, let's not get ahead of ourselves. You've had hope for months now, no point in giving up right at the very end.

Let's see what happens Tuesday, less than a week away and then we should know something. I am sure the back-story on what all went on will come out eventually.

You'll see soon, enough. I'm not sold on the Navy rumor...but who knows. It seems to me that UCF was very much in the running until around mid-January or so. Houston has been picking up momentum and nobody from UCF has been invited to meet with any of the Big East presidents, ever.
04-06-2011 02:21 PM
saxamoophone Offline
Special Teams

(04-06-2011 02:15 PM)dogma Wrote:  I have heard if UCF moves up, it being FIU/FAU to keep the Florida market (I think FIU has a lot of potential.)
I've also heard Temple.

Probably depends who they lose, but I'd think they would keep FIU/FAU as a package.

UCF is kind of on an Island right now in CUSA, with the closest schools being 5+ hours away. It's far from ideal!
04-06-2011 02:23 PM
Advertisement

dogma Offline
Special Teams

(04-06-2011 02:23 PM)saxamoophone Wrote:  
(04-06-2011 02:15 PM)dogma Wrote:  I have heard if UCF moves up, it being FIU/FAU to keep the Florida market (I think FIU has a lot of potential.)
I've also heard Temple.

Probably depends who they lose, but I'd think they would keep FIU/FAU as a package.

UCF is kind of on an Island right now in CUSA, with the closest schools being 5+ hours away. It's far from ideal!

I wonder how that must feel like
04-cheers
04-06-2011 02:26 PM
saxamoophone Offline
Special Teams

(04-06-2011 02:21 PM)Goldenbuc Wrote:  You'll see soon, enough. I'm not sold on the Navy rumor...but who knows. It seems to me that UCF was very much in the running until around mid-January or so. Houston has been picking up momentum and nobody from UCF has been invited to meet with any of the Big East presidents, ever.

I don't know if it's a good move for Navy, as I consider them a "NATIONAL" team like ND...but who knows....

Its' funny, last round UCF was pretty close (at least close enough to make the BIG EAST Presidents Meeting Minutes) to a BIG EAST invite but they told us our facilities and level-of-play weren't good enough. So we spend $100+ million to build new facilities. We move up to CUSA, and this year we've had our football, basketball, baseball, and soccer teams all in the TOP 25. Go figure. Yay politics?
04-06-2011 02:30 PM
Goldenbuc Offline
1st String

(04-06-2011 02:26 PM)dogma Wrote:  
(04-06-2011 02:23 PM)saxamoophone Wrote:  
I've also heard Temple.

I wonder how that must feel like
04-cheers

Your "island" situation helps with the letters "BCS".
04-06-2011 02:30 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Maybe Navy brings them the Washington market.

Wait, but there already is a Big East team in Washington... 03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2011 02:40 PM by DFW HOYA.)
04-06-2011 02:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.