Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Appalachian looking at options
Bookmark and Share
Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
Appalachian looking at options
The future...what's it gonna be? Appalachian is looking at it's options.

SoCon waiting on App State’s decision
by John Frierson

The Southern Conference has never looked the same for long. In its 90-year history, dozens of teams have come and gone.

Some stayed only a few years, while others have called it home for decades.

At present there are 12 member schools, including nine that play football in the SoCon. But that might not be the case much longer.

Appalachian State is conducting a feasibility study to determine if moving from the Football Championship Subdivision up to the bowl subdivision makes sense. ASU athletic director Charlie Cobb said Wednesday that the ongoing study doesn’t yet have a clear outcome.

At present, he said, ASU’s 10-member feasibility study committee is working on the financial consequences of a move to the FBS.

“What we’re in the middle of is trying to identify what those numbers are and where the revenue would come from,” Cobb said. “It’s easy to spend money; the difficult part, especially in this day and age, is to identify the revenues and where that money would come from, and how reliable it would be over a period of time.”

Once the numbers have been crunched, Cobb said the next step “is to see if this is really what we want to do. And if it is, then are there opportunities for us?”

Despite a lot of rumors, Cobb said Appalachian State is not definitely leaving the SoCon for Conference USA or any other league when the NCAA’s moratorium on changing divisions expires in August.

“There are no offers on the table,” Cobb said.

Appalachian State won three straight FCS national titles from 2005-07, has won outright or shared the past six SoCon championships and its 2010 average home attendance of 25,715 was first among FCS programs and No. 82 in all of Division I.

The NCAA now mandates that programs must have an invitation from a conference before moving up a level. That means ASU isn’t going anywhere unless is has somewhere to go.

If Appalachian State, or anyone else, does leave, there are financial consequences. The departing school has to pay the SoCon $150,000 if it gives two year’s notice or $300,000 if the school gives less than two year’s notice, SoCon commissioner John Iamarino said.

“Those basically are fees that we’re going to use to do what we have to do to either court another institution or change schedules,” Iamarino said. “There’s always going to be ramifications for somebody leaving.”

Finding a replacement for ASU wouldn’t be too difficult, Iamarino said.

“I do think this league has any number of institutions that would love to join it — existing Division I programs, not [Division II] programs that want to move up,” he said.

Adding a program requires a two-thirds majority of the SoCon executive committee, which means eight of the 11 remaining schools would have to approve the nominated institution. There’s also a buy-in fee, which Iamarino said was $500,000 when Samford joined the SoCon in 2008.

Over the years 42 schools, not all of them with football, have called the SoCon home. The last to leave was East Tennessee State — now in the Atlantic Sun — which had to go after shutting down its football program in 2003.

Without naming names, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga athletic director Rick Hart said there’s “probably three or four or five schools” that would be likely candidates to replace Appalachian State if it decides to leave.

One school that isn’t looking to move up at this time is UTC.

“It’s not a listed goal today for our program,” he said, “However, like anything, you’ve got to keep an eye on the horizon and we are.”

Cobb said he expects “some type of recommendation” to come out of the feasibility study committee’s March meeting later this month, and that recommendation will go to Chancellor Kenneth Peacock, who will make his recommendation to the ASU Board of Trustees in June.

“We’ve learned a couple of things already,” Cobb said of the study. “One, it’s not a matter of can we make the move? The bigger question is should we make the move? Honestly, that’s the much more important, much deeper question.”
03-17-2011 04:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bucfan1968 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
RE: Appalachian looking at options
The might want to talk to Marshall before making that move...
03-17-2011 03:20 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
No way App State would duplicate the Western Kentucky problem in football with their move up, nor likely the big success of Marshall when they first moved. They could be successful in C-USA over time. Don't believe they're interested in the Sun Belt. Where else could they go, the MAC? The WAC is hurting, but no deal there, obviously. If they do leave the Southern, there'll be a rather heated discussion of whether to invite a public or private football school. Looks as if the days of going independent in order to move up are over. But, would App be doing this study if they didn't have anywhere to go? Not likely. Even if they don't move up, look for them to consider the CAA.
03-17-2011 04:07 PM
Meanmike0001 Offline
Special Teams

There is very little local sentiment here in Boone for ASU to move up. I will be very surprised if it happens.
03-17-2011 06:26 PM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

WCYB's Conigliaro (sp?) reported tonight that Appy's committee decided to recommend that they move up, and do that by finding a conference to fit their football into.
08-23-2011 01:21 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
On one of their boards those guys seem pretty excited about the move. I will say this, the committee studying it is a who's who of freaking success in the world today.
ETSU does not have people like that consulting for them nor have they on anything, ever.
As for App, they need an opening in C-USA in order to move up, and the only schools that I think people would even consider taking right now are Houston, SMU and East Carolina. Houston and SMU bring massive TV markets (SEC, Big East) and East Carolina would work in the ACC if Va. Tech were to get an invite from the SEC (Which I throw up in my mouth everytime I hear that). The MAC would work, but the travel is brutal and I really believe at this point they are a rung lower on the ladder than the Sun Belt. FAU, FIU, MTSU, and Troy have all been making gains in the Sun Belt, with FAU building a beautiful home stadium that opens this year. Hopefully it's C-USA for the Apps, otherwise I wouldn't be suprised if they don't stand pat but maybe look to change conferences.
08-23-2011 08:07 AM
Advertisement

Mister Consistency Offline
Special Teams

(08-23-2011 01:21 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  WCYB's Conigliaro (sp?) reported tonight that Appy's committee decided to recommend that they move up, and do that by finding a conference to fit their football into.

It's a huge gamble. If they've got a good coach and strong support like Marshall, it could be successful; if they jump in blindly like Western Kentucky, it'll be an utter disaster. It sounds like App State is in the former category, though.
08-24-2011 02:44 PM
buckys Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: etsu/app state
How many people on this board have been to the App State campus in the last couple of years? If you haven't you have no idea of the growth of the school, the new buildings and the totally revamped football stadium. The mountaineers have vision and leadership which has created a vibrant student, fan and community base.

Appalachian State is doing it the 'Right Way'.
08-24-2011 04:39 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

They have a beautiful campus, great facilities, and NO WAY TO GET THERE. No interstate, No real airport to speak of and no major hotels. To get peace and a good nights sleep pregame teams would have to almost stay in Winston Salem to accomplish that. Don't think for a second that won't factor in to a conference like Conference USA that consists of teams in Dallas, Houston, Memphis, Birmingham, Orlando, etc...
I'm not saying App can't and won't go there, but there are some major challenges for them to be accepted in a league like C-USA and travel not just for App but travel for the other schools will be a concern.
08-24-2011 08:07 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(03-17-2011 04:07 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  No way App State would duplicate the Western Kentucky problem in football with their move up, nor likely the big success of Marshall when they first moved. They could be successful in C-USA over time. Don't believe they're interested in the Sun Belt. Where else could they go, the MAC? The WAC is hurting, but no deal there, obviously. If they do leave the Southern, there'll be a rather heated discussion of whether to invite a public or private football school. Looks as if the days of going independent in order to move up are over. But, would App be doing this study if they didn't have anywhere to go? Not likely. Even if they don't move up, look for them to consider the CAA.

If Appy isn't interested in the SBC, then who do they propose sponsor them...

But don't assume the SBC is necessarily torqued up to get another FBS move up team.

Its entirely possible that Appy is commissioning the study in order to be prepared in case they CAN get sponsorship from one of the FBS Conferences.

CUSA has 12 members currently.

The WAC would probably take them, but the WAC will be the worst conference by far. Appy would be a terrible fit in the WAC.

And then there's the MAC. A massive conference that doesn't appear to be much better than the Belt (if they are even better). Their teams are generally more established and have better fanbases. That being said, it is a Midwest/Northeastern conference. And Appy might have to find a home for their other sports.

My guess is that the most likely FBS destination for Appy is the Belt. If the Belt will have them.
08-24-2011 11:23 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

App will stay before going to the Sun Belt, though they would fare well against the lower half of that conference and consistently compete with Troy at the top. I would be shocked if they went to the Sun Belt.
08-25-2011 09:07 AM
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

Whether they move or not it is still admirable to see that they are considering moving to 1A status. This is amazing when we consider that ETSU is basically an equivalent school and we have Homecomings involving book fairs. ETSU fans are trying to re-instate football at the very affordable level of FCS and App is talking about FBS level. Amazing. The Renaissance of ETSU begins January 11, 2012. It cannot get here soon enough.
08-25-2011 10:16 AM
Stateman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Tennessee
Probably a pipe dream:
App leaves the SoCon
Charlotte fills Apps football spot in the SoCon beginning in 2013
ETSU fills Apps spot for the other sports in the SoCon beginning in 2013
When Charlotte’s program goes FBS, ETSU is ready with its football program to take Charlotte’s place
08-25-2011 10:59 PM
BucsFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU & UVa
08-26-2011 12:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stateman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Tennessee
08-26-2011 12:37 PM
Mister Consistency Offline
Special Teams

(08-26-2011 12:37 PM)Stateman Wrote:  Charlotte Observer

http://gmine.blogspot.com/2011/08/socon-...could.html

Kennesaw is also supposedly eying the SoCon for their new program. I have to think there's an arrangement to be struck there...
09-10-2011 07:53 AM
Advertisement

straightfromthehorsesmouth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: the underdog
I AM IN BOONE RIGHT NOW AND THIS PLACE IS AWESOME!!! ETSU needs to get itself some of those... what are they called?? Ohhh yeah... BALLS... opps, I mean LEADERSHIP...

If you have not been to a game up here, make that part of your "destination" plans
09-10-2011 04:06 PM
McGoats Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: RedSox
It makes no sense for App to move up. First of all, they're not very competitive in other sports. In my opinion, it'll take a little time for football to compete regularly. Other sports, who knows. Secondly they'll lose plenty of money. Not many schools make profit through athletics. Only 22 FBS schools did in 2010.
http://chronicle.com/article/22-Elite-Co...ts/127921/
09-19-2011 12:36 AM
etsubuc Offline
All American

I agree that it is not the best decision for them and that they will likely suffer financially. Frankly, I dont care about Appy State other than the opportunity for us. And while I also think that us adding football back would make us suffer financially, id be willing to support whatever it takes to get us back to a real conference that is likely to be created by Appy State leaving the Southern

Plus, I think we should be making aggresive moves to somewhere fairly quickly as it is possible that a current Division 1 team or two will not have a place to land after this reallignment mess plays out- thus taking a place that we might have been able to get.
09-19-2011 08:18 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

It's cute not counting the additional enrollment from walkons, marching band students, cheerleaders, or people that are interested in going there simply because football is good. FACT: App State's freshman/first time enrollee applications have skyrocketed in recent years, and I forget how many thousand applications they received after the Michigan win. FACT: Stanford wouldn't have invested millions of dollars in football upgrades if it weren't important. The value is the additional students, which lead to more alumni, which leads to more interest, which leads to more corporate partnerships, which you guessed it, leads to MORE MONEY.
It's not that hard folks, it's really not. UAB wouldn't be building a stadium smack in the middle dealing with Auburn/Alabama if it wasn't vital to the school's growth and survival.
Nevermind the economic impact that an extra 10-20 thousand people hanging out in Johnson City six Saturdays a year would bring. You would see an increase in the restaurant business, an increase in grocery store sales, bar business, campus bookstore business, all of it. At the end of the day no matter what the Mullins little butt lickers spew out, all these other schools would not be adding football atleast to some level if it wasn't VERY beneficial to the university and surrounding community.
09-19-2011 10:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.