Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

VCU Looking at Football
Bookmark and Share
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
VCU Looking at Football
http://http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=14219581

VCU is interested in old Richmond city stadium for, guess what? Yes, they're talking football, and have been for a number of years. Their interest in purchasing the stadium is a concrete step towards football for them, and they don't deny it.

This once again highlights the ETSU strategic blunder of 2003 and that famous, utterly nuts prediction of all those other I-AA (FCS) programs going down and joining ETSU in this new regional university athletic fairyland that is now ETSU athletics.
03-14-2011 06:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
RE: VCU Looking at Football
Everything Buc66 posted is true. People say this board is negative. I say regarding the backward movement of the athletic department...how can it not be? Buc patriots have to tell the truth. I would be thrilled to be back in the 80s and 90s when ETSU's athletic praises could be sung.

Public Relations is taught at ETSU. Despite that, the executives continue to march down this backward path to irrelevancy. The school isn't held in higher regard because the school has rotten PR implementation.

Why is it that the executives get away with ignoring popular opinion. Perhaps they have a poll that says they are doing the right thing. If they point to the student poll...that's not fair. What sane student is going to vote to raise their fees?

I'm afraid that this thing is all about executives saving face...not admitting a mistake.

There are as many studies indicating the wisdom of football (despite the costs). When you have leaders penalizing the school...how do you move ahead? Everyone seems to be waiting for Stanton to retire. He doesn't seem to be in the mood. When he sent retirement papers in the first time...TBR should have accepted them and helped him pack. Stanton was allowed to reverse field because of his fiscal management. His personal PR with TBR is outstanding...unfortunately TBR could care less about football at ETSU.

If the media would get behind footballs return, if alums would start demanding, if students would voice a little displeasure and actually show some "Buc pride"...Dr. Stanton would feel the pressure and get football moving again.

The football friends organization doesn't do a good job communicating on this board. I love the advertisements...but they are not using all the communication tools available to get football moving again.

Perhaps things are moving behind the scenes...I hope so. When you base decisions on attendance...basketball should be cancelled too. Just a handful of students attend.
03-14-2011 07:44 PM
Advertisement

ETSU-07 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ETSU
Depending on where you get the numbers, VCU is 1st or 2nd largest college in Virginia. Their academics are top notch. They are one of the most comprehensive health sciences/career institutions in the country. They have a respected and well known basketball program. Desipite all this, the people of Virginia look at VCU as a "small school" because they don't have football. Their leadership realizes the power of football. Like it or not, football is the front porch to your school. It is what helps you shake the "small school" reputation.

The leaders of VCU, Old Dominion, UNC-Charlotte, South Alabama, Texas-San Antonio, and Georgia State all get it. Football is not a liability as ETSU treated it. It's a way to grow your institution. It makes everything better.

I would look for George Mason to strongly consider this as well. They will not want to be left behind by their Virginian rivals.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2011 09:03 PM by ETSU-07.)
03-14-2011 09:02 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(03-14-2011 09:02 PM)ETSU-07 Wrote:  Depending on where you get the numbers, VCU is 1st or 2nd largest college in Virginia. Their academics are top notch. They are one of the most comprehensive health sciences/career institutions in the country. They have a respected and well known basketball program. Desipite all this, the people of Virginia look at VCU as a "small school" because they don't have football. Their leadership realizes the power of football. Like it or not, football is the front porch to your school. It is what helps you shake the "small school" reputation.

The leaders of VCU, Old Dominion, UNC-Charlotte, South Alabama, Texas-San Antonio, and Georgia State all get it. Football is not a liability as ETSU treated it. It's a way to grow your institution. It makes everything better.

I would look for George Mason to strongly consider this as well. They will not want to be left behind by their Virginian rivals.

You have described it as it is, not how one might want it to be. Right on. It is this simple, these schools get it, ETSU doesn't. On a positive note, perhaps a new generation of leadership at ETSU will get it also, out of necessity of no other way.
03-15-2011 10:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.