Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

oregon ties wazzu in soccer
jlb335
Unregistered

Women's Soccer Ties Washington State, 1-1, in 2OT
Mele French score game's last goal near end of first period.

Oct. 13, 2002

Complete Results

EUGENE, Ore. - The University of Oregon women's soccer team closed its opening weekend of conference play with a 1-1, 2OT tie with Washington State at Pape Field.

Both teams came away with first period goals, then couldn't score in the second 45:00 period and two, 10:00 overtime periods.

WSU got on the board first at 20:15 on a 20-yard, low line-drive on the right side of the goal box by junior midfielder Rachel Rodrick. Duck senior goalkeeper Sarah Peters apparently wrapped up the drive up easily, but unfortunately the ball slid through her arms and legs into the goal.

The Ducks answered near the end of the first period at 39:55 when senior forward Amanda Orand collected the ball just inside the midfield line, then lobbed a 15-yard pass to the right side of the goal box. Freshman Duck forward Mele French sprinted past a pair of defenders then scored her second career goal mid-stride on an 11-yarder she lobbed over goalkeeper Sara Leibowitz who had charged out in defense.

"It was nice to get the goal," French said. "I flicked it off my shoulder-blade past the last defender. I should have had another - in the last 5 minutes, I had a good chance, but I tried to cut it back when I should have used my other foot to take the shot. (As the season's progressed) I'm playing with more confidence now, and know I can take people one on one."

For the remainder, the teams battled back and forth with each team having near scores late. At 82:03, senior UO defender Robi Thayer made up for a flubbed kick deep in Duck territory, by deflecting an open-goal shot attempt from 7 yards right by WSU's Nicole Wilcox. The Ducks's Katie Abrahamson almost broke the tie late in overtime on a left sideline throw-in that sailed just over jumping WSU keeper Sara Leibowitz and just over the goal post.

At game's end, WSU held advantages in shots (18-5), shots on goal (9-3), corner kicks (5-1) and fouls (16-9).

Oregon also logged shots on goal by Orand and sophomore midfielder Elise Minvielle, with an additional shot by French. Despite her early miscue, Peters made six saves on the day, several where she charged out in no-man's land and made sliding saves just in front of WSU attackers.

"I'm proud of how we played after the goal, not letting it rattle us," Oregon women's coach Bill Steffen said, "but we need to play better. They played with more physicality than we did. We let them play more organized than they should have. They were able to knock the ball around like they wanted, while at times we were more watching."

Looking ahead, the Ducks travel to the Bay Area next weekend to play No. 5 California Friday at 3:30 p.m., and No. 2 Stanford Sunday at 1 p.m.

"This weekend, we got a tease of what the conference will be like (with six teams top-25 ranked)," Steffen said. "It's frustrating that we didn't play we as well or with the same emotion today as we did Friday, and also that we came away with a tie. We had an OK effort, we just need to be more effective."

BOXSCORE

Oregon 1, Washington State 1 (2OT) at Pape' Field. WSU-Rodrick (Spear) at 20:15. UO-French (Orand) at 39:55. Shots: WSU-18 (Morgan 5), UO-5 (French 2). Shots on Goal: WSU-9 (Morgan, Spear 2), UO-3 (French, Orand, Minvielle). Saves: WSU-2 (Leibowitz 2), UO-8 (Peters 6). Corner Kicks: WSU-5, UO-1. A: 580. Conditions: 65 degrees, sunny, slight wind.

- http://www.GoDucks.com -

Oregon Women's Soccer

Printer-friendly format Email this article

feedback
Copyright
10-13-2002 11:19 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.