Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

March Madness: Get Your Remotes Ready!
Bookmark and Share
Bearcat04 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The CATS
March Madness: Get Your Remotes Ready!
I almost forgot that every game will be shown live this year on CBS, TNT, TBS, and truTV. It'll be interesting to see Marv Albert call college games. Charles Barkley will be his usual train wreck self in the studio. I can't wait.

Quote:March Madness: Get Your Remotes Ready!

BY ADAM ZAGORIA ON JANUARY 28, 2011, 1:17PM

NEW YORK — My 82-year-old father calls it a “zapper.”

My 6-year-old daughter, Grace, used to refer to it as a “te-mote.”

Whatever you call it, you better have your remote handy when March Madness rolls around.

That’s because for the first time in the history of the NCAA Tournament, four different networks will broadcast the games.

CBS, TNT, TBS and truTV will show every game of the new 68-team event beginning March 15.

“Everyone in America is going to be able to see every game, beginning to end,” Jeff Behnke, senior vice president of Turner Sports, said during a breakfast with reporters Friday in Manhattan.

Here are a few things you, as a fan, need to know:

CBS Sports and Turner Sports signed a 14-year, $10.8 billion deal with the NCAA to carry the tournament, outbidding ESPN for the rights to the event.

Four networks — CBS, TNT, TBS and truTV — will carry the games up until the Sweet 16, at which point truTV will no longer be involved. From the Elite 8 forward, every game will be shown on CBS. All games will be shown on staggered start times.

Instead of CBS switching from one game to another, leaving some fans unhappy (“Why did you switch away from my alma mater Duke even if it’s a blowout?”), the networks will now actively encourage viewers to switch networks from blowouts to barnburners if they want to catch another game. “That’s unheard of in the television business,” said David Levy, president of Turner Sports. “You’re sending somebody over to another channel.”

That means if you’re at home, get the remote — or zapper — ready. If you’re in a bar, or restaurant, be prepared to tell the bartender to switch games.

Between 2016 and 2024, CBS and TBS will alternate broadcasting the Final Four and championship game. TBS kicks it off in 2016.

This year the tournament will expand to 68 teams and begins with the First Four on Tuesday, March 15. Jim Nantz, Clark Kellogg and Steve Kerr will call the action in the Tuesday games, while Gus Johnson and Len Elmore, along with courtside reporter Craig Sager, will cover the Wednesday First Four games. Nantz, Kellogg and Kerr will team up again when the tournament concludes with the Final Four and championship games on Saturday, April 2 and Monday, April 4. Nantz will be covering his 26th Final Four and national championship, Kellogg will be working both events for the third time, and Kerr joins to call his first Final Four and NCAA championship. “I grew up a college basketball fan more than the NBA,” Kerr said Friday, adding that he has prepared by doing three college games on Fox Sports West and staying in regular touch with Jay Bilas.

The winners of Tuesday’s First Four games advance to Thursday’s games, and Wednesday’s winners play Friday.

Because the tournament starts on a Tuesday, and not a Thursday, you WILL NEED TO COMPLETE YOUR BRACKET BY TUESDAY AT 7 P.M. INSTEAD OF THURSDAY AT NOON. REMEMBER THAT AROUND THE WATER COOLER.

Two studios, based in New York and Atlanta, will cover the action. Greg Gumbel and Ernie Johnson will share hosting duties each day. Charles Barkley, Greg Anthony and Kenny Smith will provide analysis during the tournament alongside Gumbel or Johnson from the CBS Broadcast Center in New York. Analysts Reggie Miller and Seth Davis will join the New York studio rotation for the second week of the tournament. Matt Winer will host the studio coverage from Turner’s Atlanta studio with analysts Davis and Steve Smith.

The following teams were announced for the second and third rounds of the tournament, with the play-by-play person first, followed by the analyst. Those with an asterisk will cover the regional semifinals and finals.

Jim Nantz/Clark Kellogg*
Marv Albert/Steve Kerr*
Verne Lundquist/Bill Raftery*
Gus Johnson/Len Elmore*
Kevin Harlan/Reggie Miller/Dan Bonner
Ian Eagle/Jim Spanarkel
Tim Brando/Mike Gminski
Spero Dedes/Bob Wenzel

Albert, the longtime voice of the Nets and Knicks, recalled covering college games in the 1970s and ’80s — including the Phil Sellers-led Rutgers run to the Final Four in 1976 and U.S. Reed’s buzzer-beater for Arkansas against Louisville in 1981 — and said he was anxious to get back to the college game. “I can’t wait,” he said.”

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/01/28/march...tes-ready/

01-28-2011 02:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
RE: March Madness: Get Your Remotes Ready!
Marv Albert and his patented "YES...."

(toupee and womens' underwear sold seperately)

01-28-2011 02:52 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
(01-28-2011 02:52 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Marv Albert and his patented "YES...."

(toupee and womens' underwear sold seperately)

bite marks?

01-28-2011 03:05 PM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
How long ago was that? I remember the mug shot sans wig.

01-28-2011 03:15 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Well heck, as UC fans nobody is better than us at finding a game on tv. We get practice every week finding which station UC is on.

01-28-2011 03:32 PM
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
[Image: albert_m.jpg]

Marv Albert, a former sports announcer for NBC, was arrested on May 27, 1997, for allegedly biting his girlfriend several times on her back, then forcing her to perform oral sex on him. He pleaded guilty to the charges of forcible sodomy and assault.

http://crime.about.com/od/famousdiduno/i...bert_m.htm

=============================================

Marv Albert arrest for forcible sodomy

Posted on 16 December 2010 by Staff.

Marv Albert’s arrest in 1997 for forcible sodomy caused one of the biggest media frenzies surrounding a sports-related arrest for its time, second only to O.J. Simpson’s bust and accusations of murder a few years earlier in 1994.

Originally made famous as an NBA and NHL announcer in the New York area, Albert became known for coining the phrases, “Re-jected!” and “Yes!” and appeared to be the last guy the public would expect to do such a deed.

Albert’s arrest followed the accusations from a 42-year-old woman who was said to have had a 10-year sexual relationship with the broadcaster. During the trial the woman accused Albert of slamming her onto the bed at the Ritz-Carlton in Pentagon City, Virginia, holding her down and biting her back several times so severe, the assault left bite marks. She went on to accuse Albert of forcibly sodomizing her and explained how he wore ladies underwear and forced her to sit on his face, “smothering” him for extended periods of time.

Albert, who may have been engaged at the time, insisted he was innocent and responded to the charges stating the woman was seeking revenge since he was ending their long, consensual sexual relationship. Regardless, once the DNA tests showed that the bite marks did indeed belong to Marv, he pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor assault and battery charges related to the bites in exchange for the sodomy charge being dropped.

Albert was given a 12-month suspended sentence and his black and white mug shot shown here will go down in history as an all-time classic.

http://jocksbehindbars.com/classic-busts...le-sodomy/

01-28-2011 03:43 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
There was another set of photos with the chrome dome. Think he was more upset about that than the charges.

01-28-2011 03:52 PM
Advertisement

Bearcat04 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The CATS
Classic Barkley clip calling himself a dumb***. I look forward to other memorable moments from him this March.

01-28-2011 03:57 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
I bet any UC games will be on truTV, since I've never heard of that channel and do not have access to it.

01-28-2011 09:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

franzeal Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(01-28-2011 09:56 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  I bet any UC games will be on truTV, since I've never heard of that channel and do not have access to it.

truTV use to be called CourtTV, I think most basic cable packages have it. I don't have cable though, so hopefully they have their online video again this year.

01-28-2011 11:32 PM
bearcatjim Offline
Exquisitely Aware

I Root For: Quartinos
Donators
(01-28-2011 09:56 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  I bet any UC games will be on truTV, since I've never heard of that channel and do not have access to it.

You'll probably have it, but they'll probably be using those Fox low def cameras from the turn of the 20th century.

01-29-2011 08:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.