ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Black lawmakers demand minorities in Kasich cabinet
Black lawmakers demand minorities in Kasich cabinet

The Associated Press • January 27, 2011

COLUMBUS - Black state lawmakers are demanding Ohio Gov. John Kasich appoint minorities to his Cabinet - even if it means getting rid of some of his current picks.

The members appointed to Kasich's Cabinet so far are all white.

Kasich has said he's assembling a strong Cabinet without regard for race, gender, ethnicity or sexual orientation.

The Ohio Legislative Black Caucus says the GOP-led Senate should refuse to confirm his Cabinet members until Kasich picks minority candidates for the jobs.

The group has set up an e-mail address for minority candidates to send in resumes for state jobs. They say they've also requested a meeting with the governor.

Kasich has previously met with some of the caucus' members. A message seeking comment was left with his spokesman.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110...draws-fire

01-27-2011 10:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kenyon#4 Away
Retired

I Root For: Bearcats
RE: Black lawmakers demand minorities in Kasich cabinet
Where is the legal requirement that some cabinet members must be black? It doesn't exist. Pick the best person for the job, if that person is black, fine. If not, then shut up.

01-29-2011 12:08 PM
chicago bearcat Offline
1st String

Unbelievably stupid and a disgrace to this country.

01-29-2011 12:42 PM
Kenyon#4 Away
Retired

I guess racial bullying is ok, when it's to the benefit of the Ohio black caucus. If it was the other way around, they would be calling for people to be removed from office.

Joke.

01-29-2011 01:38 PM
Advertisement

beck Offline
All American

I Root For:
You guys are thin skinned, just let Kasich do what he wants. Ignore these morons.

01-29-2011 03:59 PM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
What do you guys expect the Black Caucus to do? Anyway, I'll assume there are qualified black people out there and if Kasich can't manage to find one, then shame on him.

01-29-2011 06:43 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
(01-29-2011 06:43 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  What do you guys expect the Black Caucus to do? Anyway, I'll assume there are qualified black people out there and if Kasich can't manage to find one, then shame on him.

I am neither for or against any one particular person/race/religion being selected to serve any government position on the state level. Why is it incumbent upon Kasich to find anyone of race or religion and if he doesn't, then why is he to be shamed?

01-29-2011 06:54 PM
Advertisement

BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

(01-29-2011 06:54 PM)ctipton Wrote:  
(01-29-2011 06:43 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  What do you guys expect the Black Caucus to do? Anyway, I'll assume there are qualified black people out there and if Kasich can't manage to find one, then shame on him.

I am neither for or against any one particular person/race/religion being selected to serve any government position on the state level. Why is it incumbent upon Kasich to find anyone of race or religion and if he doesn't, then why is he to be shamed?

First of all, I think it would look really bad if he had nothing but a bunch of white guys working for him. This is politics. Generally thiere is more than one person who can do a job well, and they aren't all white guys.

Perhaps the bigger issue is the small pool of talented black republicans.

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2011 01:16 AM by BearcatsUC.)
01-30-2011 01:12 AM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
(01-30-2011 01:12 AM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  

First of all, I think it would look really bad if he had nothing but a bunch of white guys working for him. This is politics. Generally thiere is more than one person who can do a job well, and they aren't all white guys.

So, in your opinion, if they are not black, they are not worthy, and he should be shamed?

01-30-2011 01:19 AM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

(01-30-2011 01:19 AM)ctipton Wrote:  

So, in your opinion, if they are not black, they are not worthy, and he should be shamed?

No, that's not what I said. I think it would look bad if they were all white, and all men.

I once worked for a rather large publicly traded company that had no black people on their board and none in upper management. While that in and of itself doesn't mean there was discrimination, over time I got to wondering how it could be that there were no qualified black people to occupy these positions.

I currently work in an environment where numerous black people hold positions of considerable responsibility and do so quite well.

I'm not saying Kasich should hire unqualifed black people. I'm saying there are qualifed black people and he can't find any there is a problem.

01-30-2011 01:36 AM
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
And, if he can't find, and hire, these black people over equally qualified white people, is that a problem?

01-30-2011 01:48 AM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

(01-30-2011 01:48 AM)ctipton Wrote:  And, if he can't find, and hire, these black people over equally qualified white people, is that a problem?

To be honest, I don't know what all these positions are. If there truly are no qualifed black people then fine, but I'm guessing there are.

01-30-2011 01:59 AM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
(01-30-2011 01:59 AM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  
(01-30-2011 01:48 AM)ctipton Wrote:  And, if he can't find, and hire, these black people over equally qualified white people, is that a problem?

To be honest, I don't know what all these positions are. If there truly are no qualifed black people then fine, but I'm guessing there are.

So then, you are simply going by headlines which point out that there are no black candidates being hired, and therefore the Governor of the state of Ohio should be shamed for something you don't know about?

But you did not answer the most germane question. And, if he can't find, and hire, these black people over equally qualified white people, is that a problem?

01-30-2011 02:04 AM
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
I am going to bed for the night. Feel free to answer on the morrow. G'night.

01-30-2011 02:14 AM
BearcatDave Offline
All American

I Root For:

Of course there aren't that many Black Republicans. Greg Dulli played in a band with that name before he started the Afghan Whigs.

I'm not sure why 90% of African Americans are Democrats, given that they truly haven't addressed the problems in their society either, but people tend to stay one party or the other for their whole life.

That's why I'll always be independent.

It is pretty shameful that someone would demand that someone hire anyone. I thought we are in a post-racial society.

They are just trying to make Kasich look bad and play politics as usual.

01-30-2011 11:13 AM
Kenyon#4 Away
Retired

(01-30-2011 11:13 AM)BearcatDave Wrote:  

Of course there aren't that many Black Republicans. Greg Dulli played in a band with that name before he started the Afghan Whigs.

I'm not sure why 90% of African Americans are Democrats, given that they truly haven't addressed the problems in their society either, but people tend to stay one party or the other for their whole life.

That's why I'll always be independent.

It is pretty shameful that someone would demand that someone hire anyone. I thought we are in a post-racial society.

They are just trying to make Kasich look bad and play politics as usual.

They are playing the race card as usual, they love to whip it out when it suits their purposes.

Would the Black Caucus support Ken Blackwell for one of these positions? They sure didn't support him when he ran for Governor, and instead we got Strickland. Yippie.

01-30-2011 11:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.