Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big 12 sniffing around the West Coast?
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Big 12 sniffing around the West Coast?
The Big 12 might be looking into PAC-12 territory looking at San Diego State. Of course we've heard about BYU and the Big 12. Adding those two would be strong. It would expand the Big 12 compacted market collection in a big way.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry...8/27257394
01-26-2011 05:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KnightTower Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
RE: Big 12 sniffing around the West Coast?
SDSU? Well...they've got good basketball...and a good media market. Sure, why the hell not? The Big 12 isn't picky, I guess. I'd go for, say, Nevada, BYU, Boise, Fresno State, etc, FIRST, but...still.
01-26-2011 05:17 PM
BigOwensboroCard Online
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
Man that is going to add up on the travel cost IMO. If it works for them so be it, but I doubt that happens.
01-26-2011 05:30 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

Lol I agree with you guys but they might be doing what the Big East and MWC are doing, shoring up markets.
01-26-2011 05:33 PM
billetingman1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
(01-26-2011 05:33 PM)CatsClaw Wrote:  Lol I agree with you guys but they might be doing what the Big East and MWC are doing, shoring up markets.

TV forsure plus it gets them into a fertile recruiting ground. OU and UT usually always get a couple from Cali. If they play there anually they would probably get a few more.
01-26-2011 05:36 PM
shocky Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
The travel cost for SDSU to join the Big 12 would be similar to TCU joining the big east. The amount of money being thrown around for TV contracts should be able to offset travel cost. A package deal with BYU and SDSU would be a huge win for those two schools.

Do I think SDSU is the best choice, probably not. However, Texas was eyeballing (well probably not) joining the Pac 16. Whose to say they aren't interested in establishing a market in California? It sounds like a crazy idea, but with expansion as a whole anymore, you really can't rule anything out.
01-26-2011 05:37 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

That's a great point shocky. Maybe Texas and Oklahoma figure if we can't join a PAC-16 conference let's bring them to us.
01-26-2011 05:40 PM
shocky Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
If you go even more conspiracy with it CatsClaw, keep an eye on the future of the San Diego Chargers. Los Angeles is getting a new stadium eventually in the next few years, and the Chargers are a short drive away from moving up I-5. If the Chargers head north, and SDSU remains committed to athletics, you have a huge market with a sports deficiency needing to be filled. Far fetched, probably, not out of the realm of possibility.

I think the article mentioned something about grabbing teams as well, in case there is further exodus from the remaining Big 12 teams. SDSU would never get an invite from the Pac 12.
01-26-2011 05:54 PM
UCFKnight10 Offline
Special Teams

(01-26-2011 05:17 PM)KnightTower Wrote:  SDSU? Well...they've got good basketball...and a good media market. Sure, why the hell not? The Big 12 isn't picky, I guess. I'd go for, say, Nevada, BYU, Boise, Fresno State, etc, FIRST, but...still.
I want Boise to get an AQ invite with the condition that they change that awful field.

My eyes are still bleeding!
01-26-2011 06:05 PM
saxamoophone Offline
Special Teams

They can go east or west. Lots of potential markets!!!!
01-26-2011 06:09 PM
AllPtsBulletin Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Old School
(01-26-2011 05:54 PM)shocky Wrote:  If you go even more conspiracy with it CatsClaw, keep an eye on the future of the San Diego Chargers. Los Angeles is getting a new stadium eventually in the next few years, and the Chargers are a short drive away from moving up I-5. If the Chargers head north, and SDSU remains committed to athletics, you have a huge market with a sports deficiency needing to be filled. Far fetched, probably, not out of the realm of possibility.

I think the article mentioned something about grabbing teams as well, in case there is further exodus from the remaining Big 12 teams. SDSU would never get an invite from the Pac 12.

Um, yeah, it is.

I am pretty sure the Big Twen isn't so desperate that they need to latch onto a school that will be dropping football if the Chargers do indeed skip town.

Then again, shiite happens, and maybe SDSU can afford to build itself a stadium and/or fix up The Murph on its own and they aren't bleeding red like pretty much every public uni in Cali. 03-lmfao

Like I said, it IS out of the realm of possibility.

I expect nothing better from those bloggers. I remember one poster recalling the Kim Helton era at Houston being one of high-powered offenses. Enough said.
01-26-2011 06:15 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(01-26-2011 05:15 PM)CatsClaw Wrote:  The Big 12 might be looking into PAC-12 territory looking at San Diego State. Of course we've heard about BYU and the Big 12. Adding those two would be strong. It would expand the Big 12 compacted market collection in a big way.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry...8/27257394

No chance of that happening. The SDSU president was just shoveling manure, trying to pump up his school, and some blogger was dumb enough to take that manure and run with it.
01-26-2011 07:54 PM
dogma Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USF
(01-26-2011 06:05 PM)UCFKnight10 Wrote:  
(01-26-2011 05:17 PM)KnightTower Wrote:  SDSU? Well...they've got good basketball...and a good media market. Sure, why the hell not? The Big 12 isn't picky, I guess. I'd go for, say, Nevada, BYU, Boise, Fresno State, etc, FIRST, but...still.
I want Boise to get an AQ invite with the condition that they change that awful field.

My eyes are still bleeding!

AMEN TO THAT!!! 04-cheers
01-26-2011 07:59 PM
Rich52c Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
Do Iowa st,Kansas st,Kansas and Missouri replace Nebraska and Colorado with BYU and SD St?
01-26-2011 08:48 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I have my doubt but shocky brings up an interesting point.
01-26-2011 09:24 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-26-2011 06:15 PM)AllPtsBulletin Wrote:  
(01-26-2011 05:54 PM)shocky Wrote:  If you go even more conspiracy with it CatsClaw, keep an eye on the future of the San Diego Chargers. Los Angeles is getting a new stadium eventually in the next few years, and the Chargers are a short drive away from moving up I-5. If the Chargers head north, and SDSU remains committed to athletics, you have a huge market with a sports deficiency needing to be filled. Far fetched, probably, not out of the realm of possibility.

Um, yeah, it is.

I am pretty sure the Big Twen isn't so desperate that they need to latch onto a school that will be dropping football if the Chargers do indeed skip town.

Then again, shiite happens, and maybe SDSU can afford to build itself a stadium and/or fix up The Murph on its own and they aren't bleeding red like pretty much every public uni in Cali. 03-lmfao

Like I said, it IS out of the realm of possibility.

I expect nothing better from those bloggers. I remember one poster recalling the Kim Helton era at Houston being one of high-powered offenses. Enough said.

I'm curious, would you have predicted that USF and possibly Villanova would be in the Big East years later? Saying that it's out of the realm of possibility is silly. Anything is possible.
01-26-2011 10:26 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-26-2011 08:48 PM)Rich52c Wrote:  Do Iowa st,Kansas st,Kansas and Missouri replace Nebraska and Colorado with BYU and SD St?

Does the Big East replace Miami and Virginia Tech with Cincinnati and South Florida?
01-26-2011 10:28 PM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
I don't see the SDSU quote as anything more than "I cant talk about that" = "I cant talk about any league but I'll drum up attention before signing day".

BYU would add a lot though.
01-26-2011 10:33 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I think you're right Sammy even though it wouldn't surprise me if they talked to someone in the Big 12 in passing.
01-26-2011 10:55 PM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(01-26-2011 10:28 PM)CatsClaw Wrote:  
(01-26-2011 08:48 PM)Rich52c Wrote:  Do Iowa st,Kansas st,Kansas and Missouri replace Nebraska and Colorado with BYU and SD St?

Does the Big East replace Miami and Virginia Tech with Cincinnati and South Florida?

probably not. We are on the same team but The teams that left are better in fb. The BE should have just picked a 9th team in Memphis then.
01-27-2011 12:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.