Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cruz defeats Dewhurst for Senate nomination in Texas
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Cruz defeats Dewhurst for Senate nomination in Texas
(thread-title edited as events warrant)

Kent Conrad calling it a day after 26 years in the Senate. Link: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/...etire.html

The race was a toss-up even with him in it. Without him, it's a pretty-much-guaranteed GOP pick-up
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2012 08:55 AM by Native Georgian.)
01-18-2011 11:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
RE: Lieberman, plus Senate Democrat from North Dakota, to retire in 2012
Actually Lieberman retiring would be good news for the Democrats as they have a much better chance of winning that state if it's a 2-party election and not a 3-party one.

Kay Bailey Hutchison announced the other day that she isn't going to run for re-election in 2012 either, but that's pretty much a Republican lock unless whatever candidate ends up running turns out to be a cross-dressing atheist mass murderer and child molester. And even then they may win.
01-18-2011 07:00 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Conn went even bluer last election. That place is messed up.
01-18-2011 07:50 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
(01-18-2011 07:00 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Actually Lieberman retiring would be good news for the Democrats as they have a much better chance of winning that state if it's a 2-party election and not a 3-party one.

Kay Bailey Hutchison announced the other day that she isn't going to run for re-election in 2012 either, but that's pretty much a Republican lock unless whatever candidate ends up running turns out to be a cross-dressing atheist mass murderer and child molester. And even then they may win.

"Kay Bailey RINO" wouldn't have made it out of the Republican Senatorial Primary in 2012. She saw the writing on the wall when a sleazy dirtbag like Rick Perry easily defeated her in the 2010 Primary for the Governor's Race.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2011 08:41 PM by WoodlandsOwl.)
01-18-2011 08:40 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Conrad gets replaced by a republican.
Hutchinson's seat stays republican.
Lieberman's seat stays democrat, and a further left democrat.
Those would be the early bets, anyway.

In the last statewide election in Texas, I thought Bill White was probably the most attractive potential democrat, and Governor Goodhair about the least attractive republican, and it still wasn't close. Could see those two again in the senate race--but I'm guessing White would be more likely to go there than Perry.

I could very easily see Michael Williams as the republican senate candidate. I think senate makes more sense than governor for him. Oh, those racist TEA Partiers.
01-18-2011 08:46 PM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
What's the deal with Williams and the Tea Party? Do you think Texas would elect a black republican senator? I mean, there is no reason they shouldn't but I still wonder about this state sometimes. I do see where Williams got less votes than either McCain or Cornyn in 2008.

I have a separate and probably equally stupid question. Why is railroad commissioner considered such an important state-wide position in this modern era. What the hell does a RR commissioner do anyway? I could see where 150 or 100 years ago this might have been an important job but in 2011 is it really significant?
01-18-2011 09:12 PM
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
(01-18-2011 09:12 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  What's the deal with Williams and the Tea Party? Do you think Texas would elect a black republican senator? I mean, there is no reason they shouldn't but I still wonder about this state sometimes. I do see where Williams got less votes than either McCain or Cornyn in 2008.

I have a separate and probably equally stupid question. Why is railroad commissioner considered such an important state-wide position in this modern era. What the hell does a RR commissioner do anyway? I could see where 150 or 100 years ago this might have been an important job but in 2011 is it really significant?

The Texas Railroad Commission regulates oil and gas production and transmission, and might be regulating wind/solar once the Legislature consolidates a bunch of State Agencies.
01-18-2011 09:25 PM
Tulsaman Offline
This Space For Rent
Jersey Retired

I Root For: OK State, Tulsa
CrappiesCrappies
(01-18-2011 09:25 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  
(01-18-2011 09:12 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  What's the deal with Williams and the Tea Party? Do you think Texas would elect a black republican senator? I mean, there is no reason they shouldn't but I still wonder about this state sometimes. I do see where Williams got less votes than either McCain or Cornyn in 2008.

The Texas Railroad Commission regulates oil and gas production and transmission, and might be regulating wind/solar once the Legislature consolidates a bunch of State Agencies.

he never watched king of the hill did he?
01-18-2011 11:33 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Lieberman should be VP today....JM just picked the wrong running mate.03-banghead
01-18-2011 11:42 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
(01-18-2011 07:00 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Actually Lieberman retiring would be good news for the Democrats as they have a much better chance of winning that state if it's a 2-party election and not a 3-party one.

For Hutchinson's seat, I heard LT. Gov. Dewhurst was going to run..
01-18-2011 11:59 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators

The RR commisioner is the most powerful man in the Texas government. Even more powerful than the governor since the texas governor is a fairly weak executive how our constitution is written.

The Texas RR commission once set the oil and gas prices for the entire world before OPEC took over. Now they just control the energy resources for the state of Texas.
01-19-2011 01:12 AM
Advertisement

Tulsaman Offline
This Space For Rent
Jersey Retired

I Root For: OK State, Tulsa
CrappiesCrappies
(01-19-2011 01:12 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

The RR commisioner is the most powerful man in the Texas government. Even more powerful than the governor since the texas governor is a fairly weak executive how our constitution is written.

The Texas RR commission once set the oil and gas prices for the entire world before OPEC took over. Now they just control the energy resources for the state of Texas.

thanks to king of the hill i knew this! 02-13-banana
01-19-2011 06:22 AM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/...enate.html

Ron Paul is in a statistical tie with David Dewhurst in a poll of possible candidates to fill Hutchison's seat. I kind of doubt a 76-year-old Paul (he'll turn 76 this summer) would run for Senate but it would make for a cool father-son combination in the Senate if he did win. In fact, he's one Republican I would actually vote for.
01-19-2011 06:52 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
(01-19-2011 06:52 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/...enate.html

Ron Paul is in a statistical tie with David Dewhurst in a poll of possible candidates to fill Hutchison's seat. I kind of doubt a 76-year-old Paul (he'll turn 76 this summer) would run for Senate but it would make for a cool father-son combination in the Senate if he did win. In fact, he's one Republican I would actually vote for.

David Dewhurst makes me ill to my stomach. Reminds me of a "cross" between Dubya and Perry.
01-19-2011 11:43 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
(01-22-2011 06:43 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(01-18-2011 08:40 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  "Kay Bailey RINO" wouldn't have made it out of the Republican Senatorial Primary in 2012. She saw the writing on the wall when a sleazy dirtbag like Rick Perry easily defeated her in the 2010 Primary for the Governor's Race
KBH and Rick Perry are both too country-clubbish to suit me, but she doesn't deserve the "RINO" label, and he doesn't deserve the "sleazt dirtbag" label. They both strike me as decent, normal people (*as politicians go*) who happen to be a couple of shades more liberal than most Texas Republicans.

I was calling Rick Perry the "sleazy dirtbag." And Rick Perry IS that, and more. Check out Texas Monthly and the stories about "Governor Goodhair."
01-22-2011 08:33 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Oh, I think Perry is pretty sleazy. But I think the same of Bill White.

I don't have a very high regard for many of our current politicians. Not in either party. I made campaign contributions to one democrat and one republican last year--and neither of them serve my area.
01-22-2011 11:06 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(01-19-2011 06:52 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/...enate.html

RP in the Senate at 76?....Why not? There is plenty of precedence of old men in the Senate.04-cheers
01-22-2011 11:12 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
(01-22-2011 08:33 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  
(01-22-2011 06:43 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(01-18-2011 08:40 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  "Kay Bailey RINO" wouldn't have made it out of the Republican Senatorial Primary in 2012. She saw the writing on the wall when a sleazy dirtbag like Rick Perry easily defeated her in the 2010 Primary for the Governor's Race
KBH and Rick Perry are both too country-clubbish to suit me, but she doesn't deserve the "RINO" label, and he doesn't deserve the "sleazt dirtbag" label. They both strike me as decent, normal people (*as politicians go*) who happen to be a couple of shades more liberal than most Texas Republicans.

I was calling Rick Perry the "sleazy dirtbag." And Rick Perry IS that, and more. Check out Texas Monthly and the stories about "Governor Goodhair."
What's the deal? The choice was Perry or White. Would you have preferred the entire state a sanctuary city as he successfully created in Houston? All politicians are sleazy? Perry is no exception. You instead be glad a republican won. Redistricting from the census will be huge. White's policies in Houston created chaos. It's a pragmatic decision for Perry.

As for KBH, she committed political suicide. She voted for cloture on Obamacare, after saying she wouldn't . Regardless of what she claimed as the obvious outcome.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2011 09:21 AM by SumOfAllFears.)
01-23-2011 09:16 AM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
RE: Senate Democrat from North Dakota to retire in 2012
(02-09-2011 03:48 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  I'm not keeping up with this on a day-by-day basis, but I think the list of Senators who have currently announced their retirement for 2012 is

1. Conrad: Democrat of North Dakota
2. Hutchison: Republican of Texas
3. Lieberman: "Independent/Democrat" of Connecticut
4. Webb: Democrat of Virginia

They see a train coming down the track in 2012.. coming straight at them. They can keep their unspent campaign cash. Its a "No-brainer."
02-09-2011 04:20 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
RE: Democrat Senator James Webb (Virginia) to retire in 2012
(02-09-2011 04:26 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  I'd like to see Ensign/Nevada, Lugar/Indiana, and Hatch/Utah all added to this list, but that's probably not going to happen.

Guess that's what primaries are for.

They might Bail Out if they see a Primary Opponent tapping into their traditional contributors.
02-09-2011 08:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.