I love this board.
01-17-2011 11:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
RE: 1st it was ECU/UCF pi$$ing matches, now it's SMU/Houston
(01-17-2011 11:25 PM)whitey Wrote:  I love this board.

Don't know if I'd call it a "pi$$ing match."

I'd love to see both schools get in.
01-17-2011 11:26 PM
UHCougar07 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston
(01-17-2011 11:26 PM)CalallenStang Wrote:  

I second that opinion. Three Texas schools would be cool, but I honestly think UCF is a great candidate as well.
01-17-2011 11:34 PM
Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

(01-17-2011 11:26 PM)CalallenStang Wrote:  

Actually, first it was Memphis vs. UCF.
Then it was ECU vs. UCF.
Followed by UH vs. UCF
This UH / SMU thing is really only a half a day old, and it is only one SMU fan.

I think he just rubbed a few people (not just UH fans) the wrong way with the "we have more Billionaires than you do" post.
That statement has just carried over into other threads.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2011 11:37 PM by Borncoog74.)
01-17-2011 11:35 PM
Big Dub Offline
C-USA Troll?

I Root For: Southern Miss
If the Big East is going to poach C-USA, I don't see how UCF or ECU don't get invited. I hate to lose either one of them but they make the most sense to me. If the BE is putting a lot of weight on TV viewership, they are making a huge mistake in my opinion. What good are TV markets when nobody cares about your product? I would imagine active fan bases would be a decent barometer for potential TV viewers and ECU and UCF have those. Houston's dilemma is a lot like Temple's in that they are both located in huge cities but have very low fan support, percentage-wise anyway.

Now I know some of you may try to post charts with population densities, alumni bases, TV's per household...etc., don't bother, I've heard the argument and I'm not saying TV viewers aren't important, I'm saying it's ludicrous to make it an overwhelming factor. Really, this is all just my opinion.
01-18-2011 03:30 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
It may be ludicrus but every conference does it not just the Big East. And it isn't about viewership it's about having access to a particular market. And Houston is nothing like Temple they're actually identical to Cincinnati.
01-18-2011 07:40 AM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Somewhere along the line it was ECU vs Buckaineer.
01-18-2011 09:18 AM
MrP3242 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U.Cincinnati
I would love to see them all get into the Big East Conference. TCU, SMU, Houston, Rice U., UCF and ECU. I'm not a big fan of Memphis U. Tks, Mr.P
01-18-2011 09:32 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
To be honest, this debate is a bit more interesting. ECU, UCF, Memphis and Houston are all fairly similar types of schools as urban/urbanesque non-flagship public schools - they're simply in different locations. Some might have research designations or other accolades that others don't have, but they're all pretty close in profile where UCF is the Florida version of the University of Houston, Memphis is the Tennessee version of UCF, etc. SMU, on the other hand, is more like TCU in its academic profile as a smaller private school with a realtively wealthy student body and alumni base. So, there's a truly distinct cultural and academic contrast at hand here.
01-18-2011 09:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
I'm still waiting for the Rice v Tulane cage-death-match.
01-18-2011 10:15 AM
Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
I don't remember so much of a sell job on this board by TCU fans. Perhaps because it was the middle of the season and because TCU to the BE was a more obvious match that satisfied the immediate needs of both parties.
01-18-2011 10:55 AM
Advertisement

GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

(01-18-2011 10:55 AM)Frog in the Kitchen Sink Wrote:  I don't remember so much of a sell job on this board by TCU fans. Perhaps because it was the middle of the season and because TCU to the BE was a more obvious match that satisfied the immediate needs of both parties.

That is true, but I think the fact that it is the offseason and there is little else to talk about has alot to do with it. Most of the time when a school is trying to move up there will be chest thumping but since it is the offseason the same things go in circles over and over and over...... again.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2011 10:58 AM by GO Coogs GO!!!.)
01-18-2011 10:57 AM
knightastic Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF Knights
(01-18-2011 09:59 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  To be honest, this debate is a bit more interesting. ECU, UCF, Memphis and Houston are all fairly similar types of schools as urban/urbanesque non-flagship public schools - they're simply in different locations.

I wouldn't really classify UCF as 'urban'.....it's not really in the middle of it all, it's separated in East Orlando and on the Seminole County, FL county line(some student apartments are actually across the street in Seminole county). Most that have been there think the school is more in Oviedo, FL than Orlando. It's around 11 miles from Downtown Orlando but I get what you mean w/ the non flagship status
01-18-2011 11:00 AM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
Team SMU! 04-rock
01-18-2011 11:05 AM
MagicKnightmare Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(01-18-2011 11:00 AM)knightastic Wrote:  
(01-18-2011 09:59 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  To be honest, this debate is a bit more interesting. ECU, UCF, Memphis and Houston are all fairly similar types of schools as urban/urbanesque non-flagship public schools - they're simply in different locations.

I wouldn't really classify UCF as 'urban'.....it's not really in the middle of it all, it's separated in East Orlando and on the Seminole County, FL county line(some student apartments are actually across the street in Seminole county). Most that have been there think the school is more in Oviedo, FL than Orlando. It's around 11 miles from Downtown Orlando but I get what you mean w/ the non flagship status

The recent Carnegie "High Research Activity" status now gives UCF flagship status with the state. In the state of Florida, there are now 4 flagship schools. UF, FSU, USF, and UCF.
01-18-2011 11:20 AM
Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

(01-18-2011 10:55 AM)Frog in the Kitchen Sink Wrote:  I don't remember so much of a sell job on this board by TCU fans. Perhaps because it was the middle of the season and because TCU to the BE was a more obvious match that satisfied the immediate needs of both parties.

I agree with this. I think TCU was more of a for gone conclusion once the rumors started. The debate has been more of who #10 will be, and eventually #11 and #12.
01-18-2011 11:38 AM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(01-18-2011 11:20 AM)MagicKnightmare Wrote:  The recent Carnegie "High Research Activity" status now gives UCF flagship status with the state. In the state of Florida, there are now 4 flagship schools. UF, FSU, USF, and UCF.

That might be a Florida state legislature definition when it comes to funding, but in reality, every state can only have one true flagship. In Florida's case, the University of Florida is THE flagship. There are schools that are "flagship-like", such as Purdue, Texas A&M, UCLA and Pitt, but they are still not THE flagships in their respective states. I'd consider Florida State to be a "flagship-like" school, but I'm not sure if USF and UCF are quite in the same category (as they are more regional in terms of student bodies with larger commuter populations as opposed to state-wide student bodies with largely residential populations). A flagship is typically the state's oldest and most prestigious public university and gets the "state name" treatment when referenced in conversations (i.e. when you look at a scoreboard, the University of Florida is simply referred to as "Florida".)
01-18-2011 01:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MagicKnightmare Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(01-18-2011 01:07 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(01-18-2011 11:20 AM)MagicKnightmare Wrote:  The recent Carnegie "High Research Activity" status now gives UCF flagship status with the state. In the state of Florida, there are now 4 flagship schools. UF, FSU, USF, and UCF.

That might be a Florida state legislature definition when it comes to funding, but in reality, every state can only have one true flagship. In Florida's case, the University of Florida is THE flagship. There are schools that are "flagship-like", such as Purdue, Texas A&M, UCLA and Pitt, but they are still not THE flagships in their respective states. I'd consider Florida State to be a "flagship-like" school, but I'm not sure if USF and UCF are quite in the same category (as they are more regional in terms of student bodies with larger commuter populations as opposed to state-wide student bodies with largely residential populations). A flagship is typically the state's oldest and most prestigious public university and gets the "state name" treatment when referenced in conversations (i.e. when you look at a scoreboard, the University of Florida is simply referred to as "Florida".)

Hence why I said in the state. If you look at my other posts, I even say that I disagree with Florida's "classification" of "flagship" the only real benefit for us is it means more money from the state.

I am by no means trying to say that we are on the same level as UF yet. Maybe in 80 years or so, no sooner. 04-cheers
01-18-2011 01:33 PM
TampaKnight Offline
Knight Family

I Root For: The American
(01-18-2011 11:20 AM)MagicKnightmare Wrote:  
(01-18-2011 11:00 AM)knightastic Wrote:  

The recent Carnegie "High Research Activity" status now gives UCF flagship status with the state. In the state of Florida, there are now 4 flagship schools. UF, FSU, USF, and UCF.

With this in mind, would it not be awesome to stay in C-USA, and eventually, with continued, consistent bowl success, move the conference to AQ-status?

And having a flagship school in separate AQ conferences might be nice for the state. What a dream. 03-cloud9
01-18-2011 08:23 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Gotta admit that the Temple-Memphis pissing contest from a year to 2 years ago was fun to read.
01-18-2011 08:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.