Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Hartford Currant Article About Edsall- very nice read about Edsal
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
Hartford Currant Article About Edsall- very nice read about Edsal
Pasqualoni will be a better coach in all aspects, even the way he represents the School.

[i][i][i]Do you know how many ranked teams UConn has beaten in football?

One. South Florida.

Do you know how many ranked teams UConn has beaten that have finished the season among the top 25 in The Associated Press poll?

None.

This is not meant as criticism, Husky fans. As Paul Pasqualoni begins his tenure in Storrs it is meant as perspective. It would be entirely unfair to the new coach to over-inflate expectations or, as impressive as it has been, to distort the overall growth of the program.

There was something unnervingly self-serving in Randy Edsall's words in the month leading up to his BCS Bowl spanking. As he talked about all the milestones the program has reached since the days of working out of the trailers, Edsall wondered if there were any more notches in the belt he could cut at UConn.

I have long maintained that nearly everything Edsall says publicly is planned, if not actually rehearsed in the bathroom mirror. Randy doesn't do spontaneous. And as evidenced by his introductory Maryland press conference when his initial response to Zac Boyer of The Courant came off mean-spirited, his attempts at humor often fall flat. Randy doesn't do funny, either.

So we probably should have known in December when he suddenly began waxing about Earl Weaver and Bert Jones after 12 years of never mentioning Baltimore sports, he was laying bricks for his best one-liner ever.

You know the one. Maryland is his "dream job."

Now that is fall-down hilarious.

The answer to Edsall's question about notches in the belt, of course, was there were plenty left. And we're not talking pie-in-the-sky national title. For starters, how about an outright Big East championship? Or how about getting to a BCS Bowl game where you aren't automatically penciled in as a hopeless underdog the moment you qualify for it.

Forgive me if a few of the remarks here seem a little stale. I was out three weeks with health problems and will do my best to link my observations about Edsall's departure to the hopes of a new regime.

With some time to reflect, yes, it was time for Edsall to leave. Absolutely for him. And probably for UConn, too. Oh, not the manner in which he left, of course. Putting Jordan Todman in front of the team moments after the Fiesta Bowl loss to announce he was leaving for the NFL yet saying nothing about his own plans was weak. Not returning with the team to Connecticut was weaker. Not returning to his beloved training complex to personally say goodbye to his assistants and remaining players, well, that makes all Edsall's talk about family and brothers ring hollow. Turns out he's just like any highly ambitious, glory-seeking coach.

If you're thinking I'm hinting that Edsall could be disingenuous — bingo. He pulled something on former beat guy Shawn Courchesne that only the necessities of keeping a job kept us all in the same room. After Edsall dismissed some players for drinking beer the night before a game at South Florida in 2006, a few of them contacted The Courant insisting they had been overly punished. Considering that players with more serious legal problems weren't dismissed over the years, the punishment did seem severe and I said so. After continually refusing comment, Edsall finally did talk to The Courant and pointed us in the direction of earlier arrests, etc., by those players. Yet when we recognized the past transgressions in print, Edsall turned around and insisted to a national TV audience that the punishment had nothing to do with repeat offenses.

Whether he used The Courant to throw those players under the bus as revenge for complaining or went out of his way to embarrass The Courant, well, that's for Edsall's conscience to decide. Either way, Shawn and I never looked at him the same again.

That's not the reason for being time to leave, of course. That has to do with the growing disconnect between Edsall The Glorified Builder and Edsall The Second-Guessed Coach. There is no denying that along with the school's huge financial commitment and Dan Orlovsky's decision to stay in state, Edsall did a terrific job in building the program. For that he deserves great praise and gratitude. Yet there also is an expiration date on hosannas. Edsall clearly recognized this, just as he clearly did not like the criticism he received at midseason when the team was badly underachieving at 3-4. If we had said in August that UConn would finish 5-2 in the Big East, 8-5 overall and be 33rd in votes in the final AP poll, most would say that sounds about right. Good job meeting expectations.

Only Randy seemed to want "Great job!" The truth is, the Big East was down, finished with no ranked teams and the Huskies didn't score an offensive touchdown in the last two games. Edsall's teams were disciplined and well-schooled, but he was only a fair game-day coach. He lacked creativity. His idea of risk was putting a few sprinkles on a vanilla cone. He called for the inside draw as often as he drew a breath.

The long, industrious road continues to be good for building UConn football, but it no longer was good for building Randy Edsall. He never was going to get fired, but he didn't want to face any fire, either. Was he upset that Jeff Hathaway didn't back him more on academics? Was he irritated that fans showed up late? Was he bothered that his assistants didn't get paid more? Sure. But the bottom line was that marketability was at an all-time high and with a smaller and smaller window to sell his little-engine-that-could story and with and less and less patience for his annual where-is-Randy-going story, he jumped when he got the chance. You can't blame him. I'm just saying the Huskies are 1-16 lifetime against ranked teams.

And that's why I'm warming to the Pasqualoni hire. Sure, the lovefest with the state high school coaches is a little much. Memories don't win games. If Larry McHugh and Hathaway are overplaying the Connecticut hand, the hire will be remembered more as Yankee Conference than BCS. Yet if keeping more state kids at State U. is a piece of the larger puzzle, if it is a harbinger that Pasqualoni will duplicate the recruiting success he had at Syracuse up and down the East Coast, well, the long, industrious track UConn football has been on can continue without Edsall's wondering what else he can do to top himself.

Maybe UConn needs a proven hand to keep steady momentum and a more open offensive plan to keep us interested. If that's the case, down the line, with the program built stronger and stronger, maybe UConn will find the young big-name coach who will put the notches in the belt Randy Edsall could only dream about.
[/i][/i][/i]
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2011 03:02 PM by cuseroc.)
01-16-2011 03:01 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut
RE: Hartford Currant Article About Edsall- very nice read about Edsal
We are counting our blessing that he left us. I don’t think he‘ll ever get fire. He can’t recruit even after $42 million state-of-art practice facility.
01-16-2011 04:14 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
I thought UConn fans might appreciate this tweet:

Quote:Baltimore Sun reports Edsall was at least 6th choice after Petersen, Malzahn, June Jones, RichRod & Leach based on school's public documents

http://twitter.com/#!/BrettmcmurphY

USFFan
02-14-2011 09:49 PM
uconnbaseball Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Divorce, Rivals
The Parliament Awards
Maryland really thought they could get those candidates? Wow.

I suppose there's no punishment for reaching for the stars.
02-14-2011 10:17 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
This story reads like the sour grapes of a jilted lover.

Is there any chance this story runs if Edsall had declined the Maryland job and was still at Uconn? I say no chance. And if that's true, then this writer is admitting he was asleep at the switch.

Why wait until after he's gone to emphasize the 1-16 record against ranked teams, the unimaginative offense, etc.? It's because he was probably too busy being a cheerleader for the program ...
02-14-2011 11:58 PM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
(02-14-2011 11:58 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  This story reads like the sour grapes of a jilted lover.

Is there any chance this story runs if Edsall had declined the Maryland job and was still at Uconn? I say no chance. And if that's true, then this writer is admitting he was asleep at the switch.

Why wait until after he's gone to emphasize the 1-16 record against ranked teams, the unimaginative offense, etc.? It's because he was probably too busy being a cheerleader for the program ...

Absolutely. Where were these columns during Edsall's tenure? Pasqualoni won't kill the program, but he won't raise them above where Edsall had them. A program like UConn has a ceiling.
02-15-2011 07:52 AM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(02-15-2011 07:52 AM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  
(02-14-2011 11:58 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  This story reads like the sour grapes of a jilted lover.

Absolutely. Where were these columns during Edsall's tenure? Pasqualoni won't kill the program, but he won't raise them above where Edsall had them. A program like UConn has a ceiling.

I disagree. With the right coach, any program can go beyond this "ceiling" that you speak of. Edsall was just an average coach who could never get Uconn past 8 wins in a season, except for 2. Pasqualoni may not be the coach that elevates Uconn, but he will do something that Edsall has never done, he will get them past a 9 win season.
02-15-2011 08:04 AM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

UConn will never be an eilte football program. It lacks the high school talent to make it so and it's based in an area that ranks among the weakest in the nation in high school football. Hiring a 60 something year old coach is no way to build for the future.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2011 09:38 AM by MichaelSavage.)
02-15-2011 09:37 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(02-14-2011 10:17 PM)uconnbaseball Wrote:  Maryland really thought they could get those candidates? Wow.

I suppose there's no punishment for reaching for the stars.
RR would take the job. But the timing after his Michigan debacle was wrong. After Edsall gets canned would be the time to ask him. RR will have the bad taste of Ann Arbor out of his mouth by then...
02-15-2011 09:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(02-15-2011 09:37 AM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  Hiring a 60 something year old coach is no way to build for the future.
IMO he's a placeholder, while the AD does due diligence and searches for the right coach to lead the program into the future. Pasqualoni gives UConn 5-10 years to look around, with little or no drop off in the level of success...

Frank, you must remember, these are very conservative Yankees making the decision. It takes them forever to make up their mind, and by then it's usually too late...
02-15-2011 09:46 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(02-15-2011 09:37 AM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  UConn will never be an eilte football program. It lacks the high school talent to make it so and it's based in an area that ranks among the weakest in the nation in high school football. Hiring a 60 something year old coach is no way to build for the future.

Never said anything about Uconn becoming an elite program. But the right coach can elevate the program to beyond the mediocre "ceiling" that you spoke of. Regularly getting to 8-10 wins a season is not out of the question. The right coach could do this. Whether Coach P is the right coach remains to be seen. He wont do any worse than Edsall.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2011 10:14 AM by cuseroc.)
02-15-2011 10:11 AM
Advertisement

MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

Pasqualoni certainly had Syracuse at a mediocre level when he was canned, but it remains to be seen if he can elevate UConn. Edsall may have known that's as far as UConn can go and that's why he left. And maybe he's right. It's not going to be easy with TCU coming in, strides being made at Syracuse, Louisville, USF, WVU, etc.
02-15-2011 10:14 AM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
(02-15-2011 07:52 AM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  

ceiling my arse, they said similar things about west va and look at them.
the huskies have assembled a good staff and the future looks bright...
02-15-2011 12:44 PM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

We'll see. The Big East isn't getting easier and UConn can't do anything about the state of HS football in CT.
02-15-2011 01:01 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

Excellent points. The writing was really on the wall as Edsall has his name bantered about anytime a decent job open up in the eastern time zone. It was really a matter of when Edsall would leave not if. I think UCONN will benefit long term by changing course...and Edsall will be fired like most Maryland football coaches.
02-15-2011 01:02 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

(02-15-2011 09:37 AM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  UConn will never be an eilte football program. It lacks the high school talent to make it so and it's based in an area that ranks among the weakest in the nation in high school football. Hiring a 60 something year old coach is no way to build for the future.

The minute you make absolute statements like this, you lose credibility. As the old saying goes, never say never. Neither Nebraska nor Oklahoma have sufficient high school talent to sustain their programs, and yet both go out of state to fill their coffers.

USFFan
02-15-2011 01:24 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

The same claim could be made for WVU, if population is the main criteria...
02-15-2011 01:28 PM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

(02-15-2011 01:24 PM)usffan Wrote:  

The minute you make absolute statements like this, you lose credibility. As the old saying goes, never say never. Neither Nebraska nor Oklahoma have sufficient high school talent to sustain their programs, and yet both go out of state to fill their coffers.

USFFan

It's safe to say. I'm quite comfortable in saying that UConn will never be a Texas, Ohio State or an Alabama. Anyone who thinks UConn can attain (and then sustain) that level in football is the one with credibility problems.
02-15-2011 01:34 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

(02-15-2011 01:34 PM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  
(02-15-2011 01:24 PM)usffan Wrote:  

USFFan

It's safe to say. I'm quite comfortable in saying that UConn will never be a Texas, Ohio State or an Alabama. Anyone who thinks UConn can attain (and then sustain) that level in football is the one with credibility problems.

...and UCONN will never win national championships in basketball.

I am sure that mentioning UCONN basketball in the same breath as UCLA during the 1970s was considered laughable as well. Fast forward to the present, and its UCLA that wishes it could be compared to UCONN. It's all about finding the right coach, institutional commitment and having the patience to grow a program. Will this happen...that remains to be seen but to say never is an awfully uninformed statement of fact.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2011 04:15 PM by CyberBull.)
02-15-2011 04:14 PM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

Irrelevant comparison, since we're talking about two entirely different sports. Implying that UConn football has the chance to be elite ignores some things that UConn simply can't change. Namely its geography.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2011 04:28 PM by MichaelSavage.)
02-15-2011 04:18 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.