Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2011 Albums
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
2011 Albums
I was thinking we should have a thread for all 2011 albums that people stumble across/know about and buy and really like. That way we won't have to wait till the end of the year to make recommendations or bury it in the "music you're currently listening to" thread. Plus, I don't really look at the latter as a current music recommendation thread. More like a music from any time period kind of thread. That being said, i'll start:

The new Iron & Wine album leaked and is officially released a week from tuesday. It's awesome and finds Sam Beam doing what Sufjan Stevens just did and make a folk/electronica record with some funk mixed in. I like it a lot more than Sufjan's record because it's more immediate/a lot easier to get into. I could definitely see it cracking my year end Top 10. It's selling for a reasonable $8.99 on Amazon if you want to pick it up.

Also, the new Cold War Kids album will be out the same day. I've heard 3 songs and I love each of them. It got a pretty poor review from Spin, but you can't always trust critics
01-16-2011 11:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
RE: 2011 Albums
Only two I know are supposedly on the way are:

Dr. Dre: " DeTox" 05-stirthepot

and

Beastie Boys: Hot Sauce Committee
http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Sauce-Committe...s_ep_dpt_1
01-16-2011 10:39 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
At this point I'm not really looking forward to Detox. I am, however, looking forward to the new albums from the Strokes and Noah and the Whale
01-16-2011 11:33 PM
rafaaust011
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
This is really a good work and by doing so one can find their favourite music of the year in this archieve, as this archieve would provide all the list of music album yearwise
01-17-2011 12:12 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Tymanh99 Offline

I Root For: .
Donators
detox is the most anticipated rap album of all time. 10 years in the making...

"i need a doctor" is supposed to hit radios feb. 1st and it has changed from Eminem ft. Dre when leaked to Dr. Dre ft eminem...hinting that the album is indeed coming this year...and maybe sooner than expected. they are shooting the music video for it right now.

can't wait.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2011 02:22 PM by Tymanh99.)
01-17-2011 02:16 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(01-17-2011 02:16 PM)Tymanh99 Wrote:  can't wait.

i can
01-18-2011 12:11 AM
Advertisement

RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
The Decemberists - The King Is Dead was released today.
[Image: 220px-The_Decemberists_-_The_King_Is_Dead.jpg]
01-18-2011 02:53 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Last week:

Tapes N' Tapes - Outside
CAKE - Showroom of Compassion

This week:

Smith Westerns - Dye It Blonde
White Lies - Ritual
01-18-2011 05:02 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(01-18-2011 05:02 PM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  Last week:

Tapes N' Tapes - Outside
CAKE - Showroom of Compassion

This week:

Smith Westerns - Dye It Blonde
White Lies - Ritual

listened to Smith Westerns. It's streaming on NPR's site. It sounds pretty good, but I really hate when bands layer tons of loud instrumentation over the vocals, making the lyrics difficult to understand at times. I'd like to be able to sing along and I just can't. I've listened to the songs like 3 times and I still can't understand the majority of the lyrics
01-18-2011 05:21 PM
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up
(01-18-2011 05:02 PM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  White Lies - Ritual

I am excited to hear this as well....

I really enjoyed their last album.
01-18-2011 10:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Two CDs on my radar in the coming weeks/months are by Glasvegas and Fleet Foxes. Also the debut album by Beady Eye (basically all of the members of Oasis minus Noel Gallagher).
01-20-2011 05:15 PM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(01-20-2011 05:15 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Two CDs on my radar in the coming weeks/months are by Glasvegas and Fleet Foxes. Also the debut album by Beady Eye (basically all of the members of Oasis minus Noel Gallagher).

i'm not in love with the new Glasvegas single. Hopefully it's not indicative of the rest of the album.

Listening to the new Cold War Kids. I think it's pretty good. Not mindblowing, but it's really smooth and has that epic sound
01-20-2011 06:18 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(01-17-2011 02:16 PM)Tymanh99 Wrote:  detox is the most anticipated rap album of all time. 10 years in the making...

"i need a doctor" is supposed to hit radios feb. 1st and it has changed from Eminem ft. Dre when leaked to Dr. Dre ft eminem...hinting that the album is indeed coming this year...and maybe sooner than expected. they are shooting the music video for it right now.

can't wait.

I can't wait either but the LONG DELAY is approaching Guns N' Roses "Chinese Democracy" levels of wait/anticipation. Granted Axl and his reforming the "band" had more to do with it than just putting out the next cd.
01-20-2011 09:45 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
2 songs from the upcoming Peter Bjorn & John album have been released and i have to say i'm really excited. so far it sounds great
01-23-2011 01:05 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
yay new cut copy!! decemberist's queen is dead probably will end up in my top 5. simply amazing. excited for some new jessica lea mayfield as well.
01-25-2011 08:48 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(01-25-2011 08:48 AM)Lush Wrote:  yay new cut copy!! decemberist's queen is dead probably will end up in my top 5. simply amazing. excited for some new jessica lea mayfield as well.

King Is Dead. And yeah, it's pretty damn good. I'm not usually into that rootsy music, but i just listened to it on NPR (twice) and it's very good. I like Iron & Wine a little better, but this is definitely an 8/10
01-25-2011 05:39 PM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
i continue to play the hell out of the decemberists record. it's packed with great uptempo, midtempo and slow americana and roots tracks. January Hymn is such an awesome song. the haunting vocal harmonies really make it great. I should also add that Calamity Song has a great Paul Simon feel to it at times. Lord knows i like Paul Simon (can't wait for his new album). Anyway, I almost hope The King Is Dead doesnt make it into my 2011 top 10, because it'll mean the next 11 months will be chock full of amazing albums.

btw, the harmonica needs to be used more often
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2011 04:29 PM by flyingswoosh.)
01-27-2011 04:27 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
(01-27-2011 04:27 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  i continue to play the hell out of the decemberists record. it's packed with great uptempo, midtempo and slow americana and roots tracks. January Hymn is such an awesome song. the haunting vocal harmonies really make it great. I should also add that Calamity Song has a great Paul Simon feel to it at times. Lord knows i like Paul Simon (can't wait for his new album). Anyway, I almost hope The King Is Dead doesnt make it into my 2011 top 10, because it'll mean the next 11 months will be chock full of amazing albums.

yeah, 'king is dead.' guess i was thinking of that smith's record. but yeah the decemberists album is f*cking stellar. decemberists are one of my favorite bands, and they have so many amazing albums it seems unfair for me to say this is my favorite of theirs, but it very well could be. they are a most unique band. colin meloy is the oddest best storyteller and crafter in the bizz.

i like the sam beam record. i really like it. didn't think he was capable of anything other than gooey coffee shop material. i've always liked iron & wine, especially the collaboration with calexico (whom are vastly underrated) i could only take him in spurts in the past. need to revisit 'shepard's dog.'

listening to the new destroyer album 'kaputt.' pretty awesome, more accessible than some of his other albums. the music itself is a departure, more rock less esoteric. it's fantastic. and the lyrics are dan's usual weird self.
01-28-2011 09:33 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(01-28-2011 09:33 AM)Lush Wrote:  
(01-27-2011 04:27 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  i continue to play the hell out of the decemberists record. it's packed with great uptempo, midtempo and slow americana and roots tracks. January Hymn is such an awesome song. the haunting vocal harmonies really make it great. I should also add that Calamity Song has a great Paul Simon feel to it at times. Lord knows i like Paul Simon (can't wait for his new album). Anyway, I almost hope The King Is Dead doesnt make it into my 2011 top 10, because it'll mean the next 11 months will be chock full of amazing albums.

listening to the new destroyer album 'kaputt.' pretty awesome, more accessible than some of his other albums. the music itself is a departure, more rock less esoteric. it's fantastic. and the lyrics are dan's usual weird self.

i'll have to give that a listen

you should check out this guy Spencer Berger who goes by the name Auditorium. His new CD just came out and it's really good. It's called Be Brave. His music is so original, i've never heard anything like it. It's acoustic folk music, with incredibly one man vocal harmonies. His voice is the big attraction here. One critic described it as Glam Folk, which i think is a pretty good label. The vocals are very glammy, sometimes they even sound like part of a musical. There are also some beach boys and beatles vocal elements. I'd check out the songs Sunday and Enforcer. I bought the album based on those 2 songs and I was definitely not disappointed
01-28-2011 09:59 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
FYI

February 15th- Bright Eyes: The People's Key
February 15th- Saigon: The Greatest Story Never Told
February 22nd- The Low Anthem: Smart Flesh
March- Kanye and Jay-Z: Watch The Throne
March 15th- Noah and the Whale: Last Night On Earth
March 22nd- The Strokes: Angles
April 12th- Paul Simon: So Beautiful or So What?
01-29-2011 07:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.