Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

1/13/11: The WAC Lives
Bookmark and Share
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
1/13/11: The WAC Lives
The previous rules regarding continuity of membership with regards to automatic bids to NCAA Championships and Division I governance have been changed.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/0...onvention/

The WAC was out of compliance with the old rule (only Louisiana Tech, Idaho, San Jose State, Utah State, and New Mexico State had been together for five years), and the Mountain West was due to only have 6 schools that counted under the old rule as of 2012-with continued rumors of Air Force considering going elsewhere.
01-13-2011 08:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

David Krysakowski Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: 1/13/11: The WAC Lives
As long as the Mountain West doesn't take Utah State.
01-14-2011 02:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TennesseeBoyintheRockies Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(01-14-2011 02:04 AM)David Krysakowski Wrote:  As long as the Mountain West doesn't take Utah State.

I originally thought the same thing, but there's reason to believe that Lamar would step up in their place.
01-15-2011 02:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mr. Peanut Offline
Banned

I Root For: American Worker
02-13-banana
01-15-2011 09:28 PM
Banned

The WAC lives on anyway without Lamar since the Mountain West declared that its two most promising prospects--Utah State and San Jose State--was not worth a move toward expansion.
01-28-2011 12:29 PM
Advertisement

1st String

I Root For:
Why doesn't the WAC go after Portland State and Sacramento State? Both schools are in large cities.
01-29-2011 12:34 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
I'm not sure about the financial houses of Sacto State and Portland State, although Portland State is at least not in California.

Portland State plays its home football games off campus at PGE Park, which seats only 20,000; that's not out of the realm of possibility (Idaho), but it's hard to expand a stadium you don't own. Their basketball arena is more of an issue at only 1,500 seats, although I guess there's always the option of playing at the Rose Garden.

Sacramento State has an on campus football stadium but is in even worse shape with its basketball facility at only 1,200 seats. The cloudy future of ARCO Arena probably makes it harder for them to entertain the thoughts of sharing a home floor with the NBA's Kings-or possibly, the former home floor of the NBA's Kings. Wikipedia says that CSUS is looking at building an 8,000-seat arena, but that would likely compete with the dollars needed for football.

Lamar, meanwhile, has a 10,000-seat basketball arena, which compares favorably with a number of its former Sun Belt Conference mates who now play or will play FBS football.
01-31-2011 06:10 PM
Advertisement

1st String

I Root For:
Sacramento State is already in the WAC for baseball & women's gymnastics why not make them a full member?
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2011 03:54 AM by David Krysakowski.)
02-01-2011 02:52 AM
Banned

(02-01-2011 02:52 AM)David Krysakowski Wrote:  Sacramento State is already in the WAC for baseball & women's gymnastics why not make them a full member?

The WAC has already talked with Portland and Sacramento. Neither school has the desire to move to the FBS in football at this time.

The same goes for Cal-Poly, UC-Davis, Sam Houston State, and Stephen F. Austin.
02-01-2011 06:55 PM
pk98632 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Lamar
I wouldn't mind seeing Lamar go to the WAC. For their alumni like myself, living in the Northwest, we could possibly go see them when they play Idaho in Moscow. It will be nice to see the WAC survive, and even nicer to see Lamar be a part of that. They've already done the Sun Belt, so I would prefer seeing them in the WAC, even in it's present state. My only sad note would be I like their conference rivalry with McNeese State (an FCS school that conceivably could be another Boise State. HHhhmmmm....)

I have had the same ideas about affiliate members joining the WAC, like Sacramento State and Northern Arizona, but realize there are more reasons they won't/shouldn't join.
02-05-2011 10:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.