Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Does anybody realize the UH is in the middle of the ghetto?
BYUcoog Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BYU
Does anybody realize the UH is in the middle of the ghetto?
I thought id warn you guys..but I flew in to hobby airport located near UH and my buddy took me through their campus and im glad I made it out alive. Why did they build their campus in the ghetto? homeless people everywhere..pretty bad experience. On the flip side rice has a beautiful campus.
01-11-2011 11:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
RE: Does anybody realize the UH is in the middle of the ghetto?
(01-11-2011 11:04 AM)BYUcoog Wrote:  I thought id warn you guys..but I flew in to hobby airport located near UH and my buddy took me through their campus and im glad I made it out alive. Why did they build their campus in the ghetto? homeless people everywhere..pretty bad experience. On the flip side rice has a beautiful campus.

Wow nice! There are plenty of schools in not richest sides of town. Have you been to LSU? That campus is gorgeous but don't step 5 feet off campus before the scenery changes for the worse.

I have heard, but will freely admit to never being there, that Syracuse is not in the best part of town. If I am wrong mea culpa but that impression is out there and I don't think anyone thinks less of Syracuse.

Does that mean the area just off these campuses are filled with the worst people on earth? No.

And what does this have to do with expansion anyway?
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 11:10 AM by GO Coogs GO!!!.)
01-11-2011 11:09 AM
DoubleECoog Offline
Water Engineer

Talk about having your blinders on. Rice is 5 miles from UH. You must have went down Scott St. and that was all you saw. Way too many non-whites for a sweet little Mormon?
01-11-2011 11:16 AM
chrisharper80 Offline
Special Teams

The campus used to be in a really nice part of town, and the ghetto built itself around the campus. The school has been around since 1927, after all. In the 50s and 60s, the area unfortunately suffered from the phenomenon of "white flight" when the wealthy people who lived there began to flee for the suburbs. With the expansion of the Texas Medical Center and the campus itself, the land values have gone up dramatically, and gentrification is really starting to take hold. There is still quite a bit of "undisturbed" ghetto just west of campus. I suspect in 20 years it will be very different. Land this close to downtown and the Med Center will become too valuable for low income housing to continue to exist there. Right now, it's kind of strange because you see luxury housing going up in an area that looks like it came out of a scene from Full Metal Jacket.

BTW - Have you ever been to USC? It's in a neighborhood equally as bad. :)
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 11:25 AM by chrisharper80.)
01-11-2011 11:22 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
To be fair, a lot of colleges are in bad areas. Go to one of the colleges in Baltimore at your own risk.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 11:23 AM by adcorbett.)
01-11-2011 11:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
knightastic Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF Knights
UCF is in a nice area, for those that have never been it's not really in Orlando but unincorporated Orange County( 'East Orlando')
01-11-2011 11:25 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(01-11-2011 11:09 AM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  
(01-11-2011 11:04 AM)BYUcoog Wrote:  I thought id warn you guys..but I flew in to hobby airport located near UH and my buddy took me through their campus and im glad I made it out alive. Why did they build their campus in the ghetto? homeless people everywhere..pretty bad experience. On the flip side rice has a beautiful campus.

Wow nice! There are plenty of schools in not richest sides of town. Have you been to LSU? That campus is gorgeous but don't step 5 feet off campus before the scenery changes for the worse.

I have heard, but will freely admit to never being there, that Syracuse is not in the best part of town. If I am wrong mea culpa but that impression is out there and I don't think anyone thinks less of Syracuse.

Does that mean the area just off these campuses are filled with the worst people on earth? No.

And what does this have to do with expansion anyway?

I'm sure this thread is destined to the smack baord 03-lmfao

BTW, BYUcoog USC is located next to a ghetto and it works for them. I've been to Houston and it doesn't bother me. TCU has some not so good areas near it too...so does Pitt...so does Rutgers, etc... Big East schools are not like BYU.

FYI: Syracuse is urban. It is generally a safe area but like other urban campuses there is some low income housing nearby. The campus/hospital complex itself is fine. There is one area near the Cuse campus you smartly avoid after dark.

Syracuse's campus quad is one of the nicest campus settings around. Watch the Express and the scene of Ernie Davis getting off the bus as a brand new freshman for what SU's campus looks like.

[Image: quad21.jpg]

[Image: CrouseCollege.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 11:30 AM by TexanMark.)
01-11-2011 11:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Miami is right by one of the worst ghettos in the nation. Pitt sits in Oakland, a poor town in the greater Pittsburgh area. There are a lot of schools near ghettos..

Oddly enough, that's exactly where they need to be. The one thing that poor folks need to improve their situation is education - if they're smart enough to go after it...
01-11-2011 11:28 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
Johns Hopkins is not in a godo area, and I beleive that Yale is in the ghetto as well (don't quote me on that second one). It tends to happen as non students move away from colleges, and the areas around them become cheap places to live.
01-11-2011 11:28 AM
knightastic Offline
1st String

(01-11-2011 11:28 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Miami is right by one of the worst ghettos in the nation. P.

Miami(FL)? No it isn't. It's by Coral Gables, one of the richest zip codes in the United States

And nice tailgate guide TexasMark
01-11-2011 11:29 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(01-11-2011 11:29 AM)knightastic Wrote:  
(01-11-2011 11:28 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Miami is right by one of the worst ghettos in the nation. P.

Miami(FL)? No it isn't. It's by Coral Gables, one of the richest zip codes in the United States

Thanks...hopefully you can help me the UCF guide soon if things go as expected 04-cheers

Agreed Miami is in a rich suburb but the ghetto is a short drive away. It was a very nice campus when my son went there on a college visit. Miami's main problem is they don't have a FB stadium on said nice campus.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 11:35 AM by TexanMark.)
01-11-2011 11:35 AM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(01-11-2011 11:22 AM)chrisharper80 Wrote:  There is still quite a bit of "undisturbed" ghetto just west of campus.

Question:

What is the difference between an "undisturbed ghetto" and a "disturbed ghetto?"
01-11-2011 11:42 AM
GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

(01-11-2011 11:42 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(01-11-2011 11:22 AM)chrisharper80 Wrote:  There is still quite a bit of "undisturbed" ghetto just west of campus.

Question:

What is the difference between an "undisturbed ghetto" and a "disturbed ghetto?"

I was wondering the same thing but from my recent visits to campus I can say that there has been quite a bit of the area close to campus that has been razed and new construction coming.

I know the schools owns the area around campus and has not allowed new leases to be signed. Basically as these homes leases come up they are being torn down to make way for new construction.

At the same time there still are some areas that are still I would guess be called "undisturbed ghetto".
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 11:46 AM by GO Coogs GO!!!.)
01-11-2011 11:45 AM
chrisharper80 Offline
Special Teams

(01-11-2011 11:42 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

Question:

That is a facetious way of saying that gentrification has not yet begun there. The ghetto has thus been left "undisturbed" by the developers.
01-11-2011 11:50 AM
knightastic Offline
1st String

(01-11-2011 11:35 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  

Thanks...hopefully you can help me the UCF guide soon if things go as expected 04-cheers

Agreed Miami is in a rich suburb but the ghetto is a short drive away. It was a very nice campus when my son went there on a college visit. Miami's main problem is they don't have a FB stadium on said nice campus.

I hope so. I can just copy and paste a little review I sent to a SMU fan on cusabbs that was asking for advice for college/just out of college age fun in the UCF area when he was coming down for the CUSA Champ game, would love to contribute 04-cheers
01-11-2011 11:51 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Two of the most WASPy rich kid schools in the nation that are respectively football and basketball powers, USC and Duke, are not located in the best of neighborhoods.
01-11-2011 11:53 AM
Advertisement

Bill Marsh Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(01-11-2011 11:28 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  Johns Hopkins is not in a godo area, and I beleive that Yale is in the ghetto as well (don't quote me on that second one). It tends to happen as non students move away from colleges, and the areas around them become cheap places to live.

You're absolutely right about Yale, AD. Most of our best universities are in marginal neighborhoods because they're also our oldest universities, so they're built in the oldest part of town. The land grants are different for the most part because they were built in the country.

Add to your list Harvard & Columbia. The USC neighborhood struck me as somewhat seedy. Holy Cross isn't in a great neighborhood, not is PC or Seton Hall. Temple's in a bad neighborhood. The area around RPI is very run down. The list is pretty long.
01-11-2011 12:02 PM
ShockerBob Offline
SHOCKERS

I Root For: the SHOCKER
The Parliament Awards

UofH is also 10 minutes away from the richest part of Texas - River Oaks.

But, since UofH is located next to a Black Neighborhood it's automatically GHETTO.

I know 18 year old blondes that would survive longer in a city than you. Go back to whitey-ville Utah.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 12:33 PM by ShockerBob.)
01-11-2011 12:32 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I guess my opinion was tainted by my memories of going to the old Orange Bowl. It was in the worst part of Miami...
01-11-2011 12:34 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Ummm Cincinnati is also in a ghetto who cares..
01-11-2011 12:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.