Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Can you believe that Wimp would have
Bookmark and Share
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Can you believe that Wimp would have
ever considered not playing Barky or Malik, who were not very good defensive players, but were his best shooters and would have given them eleven minutes, or three minutes in any game where he wanted to win?

I can remember that Malik couldn't play much defense at all, but he was a terrific shooter, so they made allowances for him and utilized his strengths. And Barky wasn't known to play much defense either.

We are struggling to win games, we have a kid who has a career 177 three point shots sitting on the bench and playing guys who have no experience and are not contributing enough to help us win games. I know this is repetitive, but damn, what sense does this make. Maybe Steve is withholding him out of stubborness, or maybe because I've complained on the board about Matt not getting the respect he should get, but you can make up all the excuses you want about Matt not playing defense or what, but when push comes to shove, it makes absolutely no sense.

How, when he has been one of our leading scorers the past three years, does it against all competition, and now he can't get on the floor with guys who are mediocre at best playing most of the minutes? If for no other reason, Chris should be asking some questions about that.03-banghead
12-31-2010 11:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Can you believe that Wimp would have
(12-31-2010 11:36 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  ever considered not playing Barky or Malik, who were not very good defensive players, but were his best shooters and would have given them eleven minutes, or three minutes in any game where he wanted to win?

I can remember that Malik couldn't play much defense at all, but he was a terrific shooter, so they made allowances for him and utilized his strengths. And Barky wasn't known to play much defense either.

We are struggling to win games, we have a kid who has a career 177 three point shots sitting on the bench and playing guys who have no experience and are not contributing enough to help us win games. I know this is repetitive, but damn, what sense does this make. Maybe Steve is withholding him out of stubborness, or maybe because I've complained on the board about Matt not getting the respect he should get, but you can make up all the excuses you want about Matt not playing defense or what, but when push comes to shove, it makes absolutely no sense.

How, when he has been one of our leading scorers the past three years, does it against all competition, and now he can't get on the floor with guys who are mediocre at best playing most of the minutes? If for no other reason, Chris should be asking some questions about that.03-banghead

Repetitive? Na. Although it probably is the reason most on the board now hate a player we used to love.
12-31-2010 12:52 PM
Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
Dang Stevee.
12-31-2010 01:08 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(12-31-2010 12:52 PM)mjs Wrote:  Repetitive? Na. Although it probably is the reason most on the board now hate a player we used to love.

Hate is a strong word. I thought you didn't hate any Trojans. And I wouldn't necessarily say the most people on this board hate Matt.
12-31-2010 01:29 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-31-2010 01:29 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(12-31-2010 12:52 PM)mjs Wrote:  Repetitive? Na. Although it probably is the reason most on the board now hate a player we used to love.

Hate is a strong word. I thought you didn't hate any Trojans. And I wouldn't necessarily say the most people on this board hate Matt.

I guess we could take a poll. I have taken my own "unofficial" poll- I would agree that hate maybe a little too strong. Personally, it was hard not to like Matt after hearing speak at a luncheon last year- but somehow all this nonsense on the board has had a cumulative effect on me and others.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2010 01:34 PM by mjs.)
12-31-2010 01:34 PM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-31-2010 01:34 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(12-31-2010 01:29 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  

I guess we could take a poll. I have taken my own "unofficial" poll- I would agree that hate maybe a little too strong. Personally, it was hard not to like Matt after hearing speak at a luncheon last year- but somehow all this nonsense on the board has had a cumulative effect on me and others.

I can understand why you might hate my constant lobbying for Matt, but why would anyone dislike the young man. He has done nothing to deserve your bad feelings. Under the circumstances, I think he's behaved admirably. Many kids who have accomplished what he has and given to the school what he has, and being treated like he's being treated, would have told the coach to shove it and move on. But he's a team player and continues to do as well as he can when given his few opportunites. Last night. 11 minutes. 2-2. 5 points.

What could he do if the offense was designed to get him his shots and he played 36 minutes like Solo. He'd hit thirty without a free throw some nights. Guaranteed. He's had three games of around 25-27 points against D1 competition and we won all three games. How many games has Solo scored that many points. None that I know of, and when he scores those points, how many games have we won. Practically none. So don't blame Matt for the inequities in his playing time as pointed out by yours truly. I make no apologies. The coaches are the ones who should be apologizing to the fans.04-cheers
12-31-2010 02:40 PM
Karl B Offline
1st String

I Root For: UALR , Ark Tech
I like to watch Matt play. As a matter of fact, the last 3 years, on some nights, Matt was the reason I drove over an hour to watch the Trojans. I know Outsideualr is an over the top fan but some of you others are over the top anti Matt. Bottom line is he's the best shooter in the last 4 years and possibly the entire Sheilds era and count me in the pro Matt faction.
12-31-2010 03:02 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Glad some can see what the coaches obviously can't or won't acknowledge. That a walk on (albeit an invited walk on) has contributed much more than more they have recruited. I've started believing that LRTrojan is correct. They don't want someone who they didn't even offer a scholarship for two years to be outshining nearly every person they have recruited. Hell If he was still alive, even Ray Charles could see that.
12-31-2010 03:13 PM
Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
(12-31-2010 03:13 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  Hell If he was still alive, even Ray Charles could see that.

Oh snap. I didn't even see the R/C reference coming.
12-31-2010 03:30 PM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I don't know if I ever told you all about a blind piano tuner, now deceased, who used to tune our piano. His wife drove him to his client's home and would wait for him. He had been blind since he was a child. Well a medical miracle occurred and through a new procedure, his sight was restored, and he actually started driving himself to his appointments. Well, the funny thing, he told me one time that he had clients he had serviced for years, and after he regained his sight, some of the ladies would walk through the room where he was tuning their piano, either scantilly clad or not clad at all, forgetting he could now see. Pretty great story. That's it. What occurred after that, I wasn't privy to.
12-31-2010 04:16 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-31-2010 04:16 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  I don't know if I ever told you all about a blind piano tuner, now deceased, who used to tune our piano. His wife drove him to his client's home and would wait for him. He had been blind since he was a child. Well a medical miracle occurred and through a new procedure, his sight was restored, and he actually started driving himself to his appointments. Well, the funny thing, he told me one time that he had clients he had serviced for years, and after he regained his sight, some of the ladies would walk through the room where he was tuning their piano, either scantilly clad or not clad at all, forgetting he could now see. Pretty great story. That's it. What occurred after that, I wasn't privy to.

****, he probably never told them that he'd regained his eyesight. He was smarter than a third grader. He didn't ever tell you what your wife looked like naked, did he?
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2010 07:02 PM by LRTrojan.)
12-31-2010 07:01 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

No, and I didn't ask.
12-31-2010 08:38 PM
Mr. Mediocrity Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UALR TROJANS
[q[/b]uote='outsideualr' pid='6073041' dateline='1293813418']
ever considered not playing Barky or Malik

No.

who were not very good defensive players

[b] They were fine defensive players.

we have a kid who has a career 177 three point shots sitting on the bench and playing guys who have no experience and are not contributing enough to help us win games. Maybe Steve is withholding him out of stubborness, or maybe because I've complained on the board about Matt not getting the respect he should get.

Why do you think Matt doesn't play more than he does?[/b]

guys who are mediocre at best playing most of the minutes?
01-01-2011 10:21 AM
Advertisement

Mr. Mediocrity Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UALR TROJANS
I've started believing that LRTrojan is correct. They don't want someone who they didn't even offer a scholarship for two years to be outshining nearly every person they have recruited. Hell If he was still alive, even Ray Charles could see that.
[/quote]

You're not really ascribing that crazy theory to my good friend, LRT, are you? He's too sane for that and might really get p-----d at your putting that one on him.
01-01-2011 10:26 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

That's definitely his theory. He has stated it on numerous occasions in the past. Maybe he'll respond. I don't know if that's the case, but it makes as much sense as anything.
01-01-2011 10:44 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-01-2011 10:44 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  That's definitely his theory. He has stated it on numerous occasions in the past. Maybe he'll respond. I don't know if that's the case, but it makes as much sense as anything.

I believe that there may be something to that theory, but I'm staying out of this Matt thing from now on. I'm tired of it, and regardless of what I or anyone else thinks, things aren't going to change anyway.
01-01-2011 04:43 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Probably a good plan. Nothing to gain by it. I've said everything I can say about it. If anyone else wishes to express an opinion fine, but whatever is going to happen is going to happen. As someone has said, our problem is not our guards, but our inside play that is our weak spot. I think we'll win some games, maybe quite a few, but against a team with decent inside players, we'll have a hard time competing.
01-01-2011 06:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.