Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NT POST GAME
Bookmark and Share
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

I Root For: UALR
NT POST GAME
I did not listen or watch the game so I have no post games thoughts other than in years past we have played grinderball and won. This year we are playing faster and that is NT's game, so we got beat.

I will still take the new style over the old style and I still think we end up in the top 3 teams.
12-31-2010 08:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
RE: NT POST GAME
FAU and UNT appear to be headed for 1 and 2. We'll have to beat out WKU to finish 3rd. Everybody else looks weak, weak.
12-31-2010 08:08 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Online
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
We shot 10 more times than they did. They just made their shots and we didn't. And it wasn't missing 3's that killed us. It was the other shots. Outside of Courtney, who had a nice game, our post players were 1 of 7. Inside they arc they were 24 of 37. We were 19 of 43.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2010 09:30 AM by MICHAELSPAPPY.)
12-31-2010 09:27 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-31-2010 09:27 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  We shot 10 more times than they did. They just made their shots and we didn't. And it wasn't missing 3's that killed us. It was the other shots. Outside of Courtney, who had a nice game, our post players were 1 of 7. Inside they arc they were 24 of 37. We were 19 of 43.

I seem to recall they blocked several of our inside shots. Not just our big guys, but guards driving to the basket. Their talent is just bigger, better and more experienced than ours.04-cheers
12-31-2010 10:22 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-31-2010 08:03 AM)insideualr Wrote:  I did not listen or watch the game so I have no post games thoughts other than in years past we have played grinderball and won. This year we are playing faster and that is NT's game, so we got beat.

I will still take the new style over the old style and I still think we end up in the top 3 teams.

I watched the game and our offense was just as inept as ever. Even their announcers, while trying to sound nice, said, in effect, that we play an unexciting ugly style of ball, but it's been effective over the years. It wasn't last night. I saw nothing last night that would cause me to be optimistic the rest of the year. If we play like we did last night, we won't beat Denver up there either.03-banghead
12-31-2010 10:24 AM
Scotto Offline

Denver presents very different problems.

1. 5000 feet elevation. I don't care how young you are, acclimating within 24 hours is tough.

2. Denver plays 40 minutes of zone. Perimeter ball movement and outside shooting is essential.

3. Denver plays that spread back-door offense. All their players shoot the ball. Being patient on defense will be the key.

I've always liked watching Denver play.
12-31-2010 11:01 AM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

They are well coached. Not always extremely athletic, but smart, solid basketball players. And tough to beat at home.
12-31-2010 11:25 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
I didn't watch or listen to much of the game. I turned the game on and listened to the last three or four minutes. So I don't have any comments about the game, but it sounds like(reading the Dempcrap and the posts here)that N. Texas is probably the best of the West. They should be at or near the top every year, being located in the talent rich Metroplex.
12-31-2010 12:47 PM
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(12-31-2010 11:01 AM)Scotto Wrote:  Denver presents very different problems.

1. 5000 feet elevation. I don't care how young you are, acclimating within 24 hours is tough.

2. Denver plays 40 minutes of zone. Perimeter ball movement and outside shooting is essential.

3. Denver plays that spread back-door offense. All their players shoot the ball. Being patient on defense will be the key.

There must be a reason Denver is always so good at home (and typically struggles on the road). I had them picked second in the West, but they have struggled so far this year although they blew ULL out last night. Maybe we can sneak out a win there on Sunday, but its rather unlikely. I thought we had a better chance of winning there than at UNT, but it looks like they got it together last night against ULL.
12-31-2010 01:07 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Online
Legend

Denver is a team we can beat, but we can't let them play their game. Playing at altitude should not be a problem with our depth, if Steve will use the roster wisely. If Denver's offense is clicking, they are tough.
12-31-2010 01:33 PM
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(12-31-2010 01:33 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Denver is a team we can beat, but we can't let them play their game. Playing at altitude should not be a problem with our depth, if Steve will use the roster wisely. If Denver's offense is clicking, they are tough.

I think we had 4 guys play over 30 minutes last night. The a narrowing of the roster, that some wanted, apparently has taken place. I do think we need to spread the minutes out, a little more, at Denver even if some on here don't like playing so many people. We don't have any superstars, but I would like to think we have a little bit of depth.
12-31-2010 01:37 PM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Online
Legend

(12-31-2010 01:37 PM)mjs Wrote:  We don't have any superstars, but I would like to think we have a little bit of depth.

I assume we will be pressing there.
12-31-2010 01:42 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-31-2010 01:07 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(12-31-2010 11:01 AM)Scotto Wrote:  Denver presents very different problems.

There must be a reason Denver is always so good at home (and typically struggles on the road). I had them picked second in the West, but they have struggled so far this year although they blew ULL out last night. Maybe we can sneak out a win there on Sunday, but its rather unlikely. I thought we had a better chance of winning there than at UNT, but it looks like they got it together last night against ULL.

I think most have thought throughout the years that the altitude was the reason teams had problems in Denver. But I think it might be something else. I know, being a golfer, that the ball travels a lot further in the thinner air of high altitudes, and you have to adjust your club selections. It's also like going to putting on very fast greens after being used to slow greens.

I have no way of proving this, but I would bet that teams shoot well below their three point averages in Denver because a shooter trains his brain to instinctively feel how hard to shoot a ball to make if from various distances, but if the ball travels just an inch or two further, you miss the shot instead of making it. I'll bet if you could get the three point shooting stats from every SBC team, that overall those stats would be lower when playing in Denver.04-cheers
12-31-2010 03:02 PM
Scotto Offline

Just ran the math. At a delta-altitude of 5,000, the distance a twenty foot shot is altered is just over 11 inches.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2010 03:35 PM by Scotto.)
12-31-2010 03:35 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Online
Legend

They say curve balls do not break as well at in Colorado.
12-31-2010 03:38 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-31-2010 03:35 PM)Scotto Wrote:  Just ran the math. At a delta-altitude of 5,000, the distance a twenty foot shot is altered is just over 11 inches.

I'll bet you see some three's bang off the back of the rim or hit the backboard more often by teams playing in Denver than at sea level atmospheres. And it's possible that Denver probably comes up short on their three's when playing at sea level, which would account why they have trouble playing on the road.04-cheers
12-31-2010 04:05 PM
Advertisement

thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
(12-31-2010 03:35 PM)Scotto Wrote:  Just ran the math. At a delta-altitude of 5,000, the distance a twenty foot shot is altered is just over 11 inches.

That's a neat physics fact.

I know I don't post much, but I do stop in to read once in a while. I really enjoy this forum and the people on it.
12-31-2010 04:20 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Thank you. We're just a bunch of wild and crazy guys.
12-31-2010 04:23 PM
Mr. Mediocrity Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UALR TROJANS
(12-31-2010 04:23 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  Thank you. We're just a bunch of wild and crazy guys.

All eight us. Some are wilder. Some are crazier.
12-31-2010 06:45 PM
Karl B Offline
1st String

I Root For: UALR , Ark Tech
There's quite a few more than 8 that read the board and occasionally post although I will agree that there are 8-10 that do the majority of the posting. I wonder if the moderator can tell us how many are registered?
12-31-2010 06:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.