Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
UConn football
SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut
Exclamation UConn football
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Randy Edsall had a plan.

Still does, by the way, and everyone in Connecticut blue knows you follow the plan.

“He is by-the-book,” said UConn defensive tackle Kendall Reyes. “You’re not getting away with anything. If he says you gotta do it, you gotta do it.”

Edsall’s plan has landed the Huskies in the Fiesta Bowl, the pinnacle moment for a football program that started play in 1896 but didn’t reach major-college status until the 21st century.

But passionate devotion to your plan doesn’t keep doubt away. Doubt crept in on Edsall eight years ago. In his fourth UConn season, the Huskies blew a late lead and lost 28-24 at Vanderbilt. Edsall’s record at Connecticut dipped to 11-30.

“You wonder, can we get it going?” Edsall asked. “Can we turn it around?”

But Connecticut won three straight games against struggling opponents, then finished the season with a 37-20 upset at Iowa State. That’s the Cyclone team that started 6-1 and was ranked in the top 10.

Connecticut football has been on a steady climb ever since. A 2004 bowl game. A 2007 Big East co-championship. A 2009 victory at Notre Dame. The 2011 Fiesta Bowl. The plan prevailed.

“This is something you dream about,” Edsall said. “This is really what we’ve worked for since Jan. 4, 1999.”

Defensive coordinator Hank Hughes, in his 10th season on Edsall’s staff, said his boss is “single-minded in what he wants to do. He doesn’t waver ... doesn’t get all ruffled. He’s a taskmaster. He doesn’t deviate. He’s got a plan. He knows he’s gonna stand by that plan.”

Talk to a dozen Huskies, heck, talk to two dozen, and they all say the same thing about their coach. Runs a tight ship. Demands accountability. Believes in doing things right.

“We do it by his rules,” said star tailback Jordan Todman. “Once you buy into his system, it is successful.”

New England is not plush football country. Some thought Lew Perkins was nuts back in the 1990s, when the then-UConn athletic director proposed moving up to Division I-A. When coach Skip Holtz, Lou’s son, left for East Carolina, Perkins turned to Edsall, then Georgia Tech’s defensive coordinator. Edsall grew up in Pennsylvania, played and coached at Syracuse, then joined Tom Coughlin for seven seasons, three with Boston College and four with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Edsall brought his plan, which on the gridiron stresses physicality and tough interior play, to the Connecticut hills one month after Bob Stoops was hired to rebuild at Oklahoma. While Stoops’ success came virtually immediately, Edsall went the way of the tortoise.

“I wanted to build a program that would stand the test of time,” Edsall said. “We wanted to make sure as we built it, we were building it the right way and doing it the sound way. And that’s really what we did.

“When you lay the foundation and brick by brick build it, you can do some things maybe quicker than what people would imagine ... we really never listened to other people.”

Edsall is tall — you could see him as a Syracuse quarterback, which 30 years ago he was — and younger looking than his 52 years. He’s a commanding presence. In a program that preaches team, team, team, Edsall is more than the father of Connecticut football. He’s the face, too.

“He’s got a very good reputation around the university,” said cornerback Blidi Wreh-Wilson. “One thing about him, the two people he doesn’t like are liars and cheaters. He’ll always tell you the truth. He’ll always tell you the right thing to do in a situation.

“Coach Edsall, what he preaches is what he lives.”

And now he’s here, in the desert, 2,500 miles from Connecticut’s snow but not one inch from his plan.

Berry Tramel: Berry can be reached at (405) 760-8080 or at btramel@opubco.com. He can be heard Monday through Friday from 4:40-5:20 p.m. on The Sports Animal radio network, including AM-640 and FM-98.1. You can also view his personality page at newsok.com/berrytramel.
12-30-2010 08:50 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: UConn football
(12-30-2010 08:50 AM)SO#1 Wrote:  “I wanted to build a program that would stand the test of time,” Edsall said. “We wanted to make sure as we built it, we were building it the right way and doing it the sound way. And that’s really what we did.

“When you lay the foundation and brick by brick build it, you can do some things maybe quicker than what people would imagine ... we really never listened to other people.”

All the best to Uconn in the Fiesta Bowl, but let's not get too giddy. This is a team that went 8-4 against what Sagarin says is the 78th toughest schedule in the country, that went 2-2 against out of conference FBS competition, including 1-1 against the mighty MAC. Uconn is in the BCS because the rules say someone from the Big East has to be.

Edsall hasn't reached any kind of programmatic peak, he still has lots of work to do.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2010 09:02 AM by quo vadis.)
12-30-2010 09:01 AM
SO#1 Offline
1st String

Just to get invited to sit at the adult table was big accomplishment. You don’t get to speak or voice your opinion until you are more seasons. Every step is a big deal for the young program. Envy and jealous follow by question of merit directed at the visible face of the league that is the weak link of the hated BCS system will come regardless of record.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2010 09:31 AM by SO#1.)
12-30-2010 09:17 AM
Advertisement

Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
(12-30-2010 09:17 AM)SO#1 Wrote:  Just to get invited to sit at the adult table was big accomplishment. You don’t get to speak or voice your opinion until you are more seasons. Every step is a big deal for the young program. Envy and jealous follow by question of merit directed at the visible face of the league that is the weak link of the hated BCS system will come regardless of record.

this is a huge accomplishment and mark my words if we can hang with the oaky from the skoaky in the 1st half, it should be a good game. where you from boy oklahoma, all they have down there is steers and queers lol.
good luck uconn 04-cheers
12-30-2010 11:53 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(12-30-2010 09:17 AM)SO#1 Wrote:  Just to get invited to sit at the adult table was big accomplishment. You don’t get to speak or voice your opinion until you are more seasons. Every step is a big deal for the young program. Envy and jealous follow by question of merit directed at the visible face of the league that is the weak link of the hated BCS system will come regardless of record.

I'd respond more thoroughly if i could make sense of half of what you are saying.

Suffice to say that Uconn wasn't "invited" to sit at the adult table, the adult table was forced to make room for you.

Your accomplishment was in winning your last 4-5 Big East games to claim a share of our conference title, weak as we were this year (and yes, i am a bit jealous, as USF couldn't do what you did).
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2010 03:29 PM by quo vadis.)
12-30-2010 03:29 PM
SO#1 Offline
1st String

(12-30-2010 03:29 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

I'd respond more thoroughly if i could make sense of half of what you are saying.

Suffice to say that Uconn wasn't "invited" to sit at the adult table, the adult table was forced to make room for you.

Your accomplishment was in winning your last 4-5 Big East games to claim a share of our conference title, weak as we were this year (and yes, i am a bit jealous, as USF couldn't do what you did).

The “invited” referred to when the program got invited to the Big East.

They didn’t expect UConn to make any impact in the league until at least a decade or more (at the adult table).

The envy and jealously directed or referred at those people hate BCS system and since most of them question the Big East inclusion they debate on merit but forget what AQ mean. The BCS system was agree by all FBS conferences. As the champ of AQ league, they get to go without question. If you hate the BCS system you’ll find something to criticize. There are a lot of people that hate BCS system and forget how bad the old bowl system was. Anyway it’s article on UConn accomplishment and its short history.
12-30-2010 11:45 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.