Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Official Governor's Cup Thread: Game 1 vs So.Miss(L 60-64) Game 2 vs Northeastern(L 67-77) Game 3 vs App State(W 79-51)
Bookmark and Share
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Official Governor's Cup Thread: Game 1 vs So.Miss(L 60-64) Game 2 vs Northeastern(L 67-77) Game 3 vs App State(W 79-51)
Official Tournament Website

Tournament Bracket

GAME 1

Date: December 22nd, 2010

Time: 2:30 PM

Opponent: Southern Mississippi (7-1, 0-0 CUSA)

Place: Poliforum Benito Juarez

Television: none

Webcast: none

Radio online: ETSUBucs.com or 640WXSM.com

USM 2010-2011 Schedule

USM 2010-2011 Roster

------------------------------------------------------
GAME 2

Date: December 23rd, 2010

Time: 12:00PM

Opponent: Northeastern (2-6, 0-1 CAA)

NE 2010-2011 Schedule

NE 2010-2011 Roster

------------------------------------------------------
GAME 3

Date: December 24th, 2010

Time: 1:00PM

Opponent: Appalachian State (4-6, 0-1 SoCon)

App 2010-2011 Schedule

App 2010-2011 Roster
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2010 02:43 PM by ETSUfan1.)
12-20-2010 11:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shampoo Offline
All American

I Root For: blue and gold
RE: Official Governor's Cup Thread: Game 1 vs Southern Miss
A 6'10 guard, well...
12-21-2010 12:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Goodfella Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ETSU
Good luck, Bucs. Maybe this trip is what the doctor ordered.
12-21-2010 09:08 AM
Bucster Offline
All American

(12-21-2010 09:08 AM)Goodfella Wrote:  Good luck, Bucs. Maybe this trip is what the doctor ordered.

I hope. However, history shows that we usually don't do well at these things. I would like for once to at least win the first game.
12-21-2010 09:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
(12-21-2010 09:34 AM)Bucster Wrote:  I hope. However, history shows that we usually don't do well at these things.

2003 (Rainbow Classic) -- 1-2

2006 (South Padre Island Invitational) -- 1-2

2007 (Rainbow Classic) -- 1-2

2008 (Charleston Classic) -- 1-2
12-21-2010 06:10 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
If we win the first game, our next 2 are on TV. If we lose, we get none on TV.
12-21-2010 06:10 PM
Advertisement

Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

Despite Bartow's tendency to engage in "handicapping" (e.g., "We've had an average week of practice because of finals week), hyperbole (e.g., "Southern Miss is the best team in Conference USA) and his patented cliche (e.g., "We'll have to play well to win"), to use another cliche, I think this is a tough but winnable game. Our sole common opponent this year has been Ole Miss. Southern Miss fared much better much better than us, losing only by 5. They also had an impressive victory at California.

Southern Miss is led by NBA prospect Gary Flowers. Flowers is an inside-outside (50% 3-pt, 47% fg) big man (6'8", 215) who is 16th in the nation in scoring (22ppg). Isiah will have his hands full. Southern Miss. is not, however, a one-man show. Three other players average double figures: 6' guard R.L. Horton, 14ppg, 6'9" Josimar Ayarzar, 12.5 ppg, & stud 6'4" freshman Devonte Newbill, 10 ppg. Their top 6 appear to get the lion's share of the minutes, with the 7th, 8th, and 9th players averaging around 13 mpg.

As an interesting sidebar, this will be a homecoming of sorts for Curtis Wilkinson. Not only is Curtis a Mississippi native, he was also offered by Southern Miss. before signing with us.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...2/group/50

http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2010 08:23 PM by Bucfaithful.)
12-21-2010 08:05 PM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Sports/a...p?ID=84754
J.C. Press, 12/22/10
Bucs ready to get down to business in Cancun tourney
By Joe Avento
Press Sports Writer
javento@johnsoncitypress.com

Murry Bartow faced the same dilemma every coach has when taking a team into a tropical climate.

While the East Tennessee State basketball team is in Cancun, Mexico, for a three-game tournament this week, Bartow wants his players and staff to enjoy the local offerings of warm weather and famous beaches.

Just not too much.

“There is a balancing act,” Bartow said. “You’d like to let them swim in the ocean, have some fun, jet ski, do the things you’d normally do on a vacation. But obviously, at the same time, you’re trying to practice, stay out of the sun and play.”

After a day and a half of sun and fun, it’s time for the Bucs to get down to business now that the games in the Cancun Governor’s Cup are about to begin. ETSU takes on Southern Mississippi today at 2:30 p.m. EST.

“It’s fun, but it’s a business trip for us,” ETSU’s Mike Smith said. “Southern Miss is a great team. We have to get ready to play. We had some time to enjoy the weather. We were looking forward to that. Ultimately, we’re trying to win the tournament.”

Other teams in the Cancun Governor’s Cup are Ole Miss, Appalachian State, Northeastern, Saint Louis, Colorado State and Texas State. ETSU and Ole Miss would meet in a rematch in the final if they both win their first two games. The Bucs fell to 4-5 with a 71-50 loss at Ole Miss in their last game.

The winner of the ETSU-Southern Miss game will face the winner of the game between Saint Louis and Northeastern in the semifinals Thursday at 2:30 p.m. on ESPNU. Friday’s championship will be played at 9 p.m. on ESPN2.

Southern Miss is 7-1 and is coming off an 80-78 victory at California.

“They’re probably the best team in Conference USA,” Bartow said.

Southern Miss is led by senior forward Gary Flowers, who averages 21.7 points a game and leads Conference USA. The Eagles are ninth in the country in scoring at 83.6 points a game, hold opponents to 36 percent shooting and lead the nation in rebounding, averaging 45 per outing.

Today will mark the Bucs’ third consecutive game against a team from Mississippi. They beat Mississippi State 63-62 before the loss at Ole Miss.

“When you’re a team in the Atlantic Sun and you play an SEC team on the road, you have to play great,” Bartow said. “Everything has to go right. We thought we could win (at Ole Miss), but everything had to go right and it just didn’t.”

Not much went right for the Bucs. They missed their first nine shots, turned the ball over seven times and gave up three 3-pointers and two dunks before they put a point on the board.

When ETSU finally scored, it managed to climb back into the game, trailing by five with four minutes left in the first half. Ole Miss then scored the final nine points of the half to pad a lead that didn’t fall below double figures the rest of the way.

For the second consecutive game, ETSU played much of the game without a true point guard on the floor, and the jury remains out on a starting lineup that doesn’t include a ball-handling guard. It worked well enough at Mississippi State, but not too well at Ole Miss.

“It’s still a work in progress,” Bartow said.

Smith was the Bucs’ lone bright spot against Ole Miss, scoring 18 points, 10 of which came from the free throw line as his aggressive drives to the basket created numerous fouls. His goals in Cancun included winning the tournament — and enjoying the weather.

“Hopefully I can get some tan,” Smith said before the Bucs left for Mexico. “I’m looking pretty pale right now.”
12-21-2010 09:44 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
Why does anyone ever interview Bartow? It's the same crap every time.

“When you’re a team in the Atlantic Sun and you play an SEC team on the road, you have to play great,” Bartow said. “Everything has to go right. We thought we could win (at Ole Miss), but everything had to go right and it just didn’t.”
12-21-2010 10:51 PM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

(12-21-2010 10:51 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  Why does anyone ever interview Bartow? It's the same crap every time.

Good question.

Also, this:
Quote:“It’s still a work in progress,” Bartow said.

With all these seniors, it's still "a work in progress"?
Yes, we understand that in actuality it is, but the thing that really gets us is: it. just. shouldn't. be.

Jacksonville has how many new players? 7? I'm sure they're "a work in progress", too, but quite a bit further down the road already, with a bunch of new players....

These cliches were old 3 years ago. They're so much past that now........
12-21-2010 11:57 PM
etsubuc Offline
All American

Its essentially true, you have to know your place and not be naive about the talent level. While basketball always gives the lesser talented team a chance if they play very good team ball, its stupid to think that we should expect to win games like KY, like many on this board did.

However, Southern Miss is not an SEC team, and even though they are probably better than us, the main reason is coaching, not talent.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2010 04:27 AM by etsubuc.)
12-22-2010 04:26 AM
Advertisement

Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

(12-22-2010 04:26 AM)etsubuc Wrote:  Its essentially true, you have to know your place and not be naive about the talent level. While basketball always gives the lesser talented team a chance if they play very good team ball, its stupid to think that we should expect to win games like KY, like many on this board did.

However, Southern Miss is not an SEC team, and even though they are probably better than us, the main reason is coaching, not talent.

Everything he says is essentially true; everything he says is also essentially meaningless. He never offers any candor, any specifics, or anything meaningful. He's like the commentators who say "we need to score points to win..." I fully understand that talking in generalities from time to time is necessary. But this is how Bartow communicates; it is his modus operandi.

It's exasperating as a fan to listen to.
12-22-2010 09:38 AM
ETSUAlumni Offline
Special Teams

Looks like there will be no way to watch this game.
12-22-2010 10:05 AM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
No Wilkinson. Family sickness.
12-22-2010 02:27 PM
drmm Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: etsu
(12-22-2010 10:05 AM)ETSUAlumni Wrote:  Looks like there will be no way to watch this game.

Why no Wilkenson ?
12-22-2010 02:28 PM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

Let's go Bucs! Pressure 'D' is sounding tough.
12-22-2010 02:45 PM
Advertisement

Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

Poderis!
12-22-2010 02:46 PM
Goldfinger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Restoration
Lady Bird Bartow is chirping I hear
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2010 02:48 PM by Goldfinger.)
12-22-2010 02:48 PM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

Great start to this game!
12-22-2010 02:54 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
Smith with 3 fouls. 10 mins left to go in the first half. Yikes.
12-22-2010 02:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.