http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5927248
12-16-2010 06:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: Things that may you go ....Hmmm
Just so you don't have to read the whole article, here's what he's refering to :

One peculiarly tough sell has been the Military Bowl in Washington, D.C.

East Carolina, despite a 6-6 season, gobbled up its allotment of tickets and filled the team hotel within a couple of days of the selection show.

Maryland? The Terps had a hard time drawing at College Park this season and it's continued with the Military Bowl, which will be played at RFK Stadium, about 20 miles from campus.

Coach Ralph Friedgen made an impassioned plea to fans to buy tickets and the school has hit Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to boost sales. It's helped, but the Atlantic Coast Conference Terps are still in danger of being outdrawn by a Conference USA team with a .500 record from another state.

"The dilemma we're in right now is our fans need to come out and support us," Friedgen said not long after the bowl announcement. "I think we've got a chance to send a message to these people that turned us down. This is right in our back yard, and East Carolina's going to show up. And if we really care about our football program, our fans need to show up."

Great for ECU 04-rock :ecu: but the real telling thing is that Maryland can't sell tickets to a game in there own back yard ! 04-jawdrop What the hell ? I thought maryland was a football state. The Ravens have plenty of fans. How can they not sell their allotment to a game that is probably closer to most of their fans than their own stadium ? :plank:
12-16-2010 06:46 PM
ECMAN79 Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
well.....this thread has the potential to go downhill fast.......*grabbing popcorn*

07-coffee3
12-16-2010 06:49 PM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina
Toward the story posted, the writer may want to make a few more call like calling the Military Bowl it self, hard sell?, I think not so much. On the local radio (Pirate Radio 1250) today they called the bowl to see how overall ticket sells were doing and as of today 35,000 of 45,000 tickets have been sold. With about 12 days to go the game could sell out. Also, the bowl has also said earlier this week that most of the total tickets sold were going to people in North Carolina (noting that some of those sells where for the Marland side of the stadium as a prefense by those purchasing the tickets) to the tune of 7 of every 9 tickets. I fill at least a little comfrontable in saying we should out number Maryland fans, a AQ and ACC team. Not bad at all for a non-AQ team that has such a "small" market!
12-16-2010 07:21 PM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

(12-16-2010 06:49 PM)ECMAN79 Wrote:  well.....this thread has the potential to go downhill fast.......*grabbing popcorn*

07-coffee3

I don't see why it should...Nothing but facts and no smack talk. Just pointing out that while many teams in much larger markets have a hard time selling their bowl tickets ECU has managed to sell theirs in a rebuilding year where we really floundered towards the end of the season. I think it speaks volumes to the strength and consistency of our fan base.
12-16-2010 07:23 PM
Advertisement

No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
Typical ECU... so typical.... selling a bunch of tickets to a bowl game...I am so over it. jk

Another good job by the ECU fan base.
12-16-2010 07:26 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(12-16-2010 07:26 PM)No Bull Wrote:  Typical ECU... so typical.... selling a bunch of tickets to a bowl game...I am so over it. jk
You got to admit, that's pretty good... 03-lmfao
12-16-2010 07:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

(12-16-2010 07:26 PM)No Bull Wrote:  Typical ECU... so typical.... selling a bunch of tickets to a bowl game...I am so over it. jk

Prime example of a UCF fan trying to take a legitimate thread and turn it into a smack thread. No where did anyone say anything negative about UCF. You guys like to come here at every chance and list your accomplishments. You do realize the importance of a schools and a conferences ability to sell tickets to bowl games...It is a very important factor in what bowl tie ins a conference gets. It is also very important when it comes to a schools selection to bowl games. Prime example is Maryland....They were the 3rd place team in the ACC but ended up at the bowl with the 7th pick. Take jabs and make smart remarks all you want but this is a tangible accomplishment by ECU and its fans and I am very proud of our fan base. Your cute little snide remarks really do not bother me....It just makes you look a little silly and petty.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2010 07:56 PM by ECU-DMB Fanatic.)
12-16-2010 07:55 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
(12-16-2010 07:37 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  

It's dam good IMO for this shows they travel, and travel well. This should be one of their selling points to the Big East that no matter where we go we will bring 25-40 thousand fans for bowls and any where from 15-25 for conference games and so on. I think the Big East needs to look at ECU big time for if they get over looked then the Big East is the ones losing out IMO. I like Central Florida, and they should be in as well, but ECU is what the Big East needs, and there is nothing no one can say different.
12-16-2010 07:56 PM
Advertisement

ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

Our ability to travel is one of our selling points, heck we've done this for a long time, 1991 we sent 20k to the peach bowl ofcourse we were 10-1 at the time and playing NC State, our biggest in State rival, that had stopped playing us after we beat them in their house in 87. There was a fight after the game they cited as the reason, but funny they still get all up in arms and want to stop playing us every time we win and after this year, Yow their AD has all but said they intend to stop playing ECU. But, back on point 2007, we were 2nd in the east div. and the GMAC bowl wouldn't say right away that they would take the loser of the championship game, saying they would like to take ECU if Tulsa lost because we travel better. It caused a bit of a stink until C-USA officals got a bit heated.

This is most defently a selling point for us and also IMO shows that we do have a bigger market and bigger draw than most believe or want to believe.
12-16-2010 08:15 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(12-16-2010 07:55 PM)ECU-DMB Fanatic Wrote:  

Prime example of a UCF fan trying to take a legitimate thread and turn it into a smack thread. No where did anyone say anything negative about UCF. You guys like to come here at every chance and list your accomplishments. You do realize the importance of a schools and a conferences ability to sell tickets to bowl games...It is a very important factor in what bowl tie ins a conference gets. It is also very important when it comes to a schools selection to bowl games. Prime example is Maryland....They were the 3rd place team in the ACC but ended up at the bowl with the 7th pick. Take jabs and make smart remarks all you want but this is a tangible accomplishment by ECU and its fans and I am very proud of our fan base. Your cute little snide remarks really do not bother me....It just makes you look a little silly and petty.
The fact that you missed out on the fact that this was a joke, which was why the emoticon on my comment was laughing, shows you are way too sensitive. I happen to enjoy good sarcasm, which seems to go over your head at about 70,000 feet...

I despair at times when I see how poor most people are at communication and understanding. I expect perfection, and never find it. Ah well...
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2010 08:18 PM by bitcruncher.)
12-16-2010 08:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Raleighwood Pirate Offline
Special Teams

I am pretty sure he was just kidding when he said that about us.
12-16-2010 08:26 PM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

(12-16-2010 08:26 PM)Raleighwood Pirate Wrote:  

I am pretty sure he was just kidding when he said that about us.

Yeah...I think that is what the "jk" means. I got that...Just make a smart remark and put "jk" behind it and it is all good.
12-16-2010 08:41 PM
Advertisement

JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
And yet we were able to bring 20K fans 3 hours away. Silly Twerps...
12-16-2010 09:32 PM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2010 07:37 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  

No doubt. ECU has a great fanbase.
12-16-2010 09:58 PM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

Wow. I was saying it's typical for you guys to sell a lot of tickets.... wasn't trying to be a smartass...
I was(j)ust (k)idding around... I have always thought ECU was BCS worthy. The Big East would be smart to add ECU imo

I am not one of those "rivals" types who flame and get all upset and argue. Although I will occasionally defend my school from a flamer or troll. 03-shhhh
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2010 10:21 PM by No Bull.)
12-16-2010 10:03 PM
PirateNation Offline
All American

The guy was kidding, lighten up.. geez.

Glad to see our bowl sales going so well. We have certainly impressed the Military Bowl officials. Outdrawing the hometown ACC team would be huge for the program.

sidenote: this seriously got sent to the smack forum? 01-wingedeagle
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2010 10:18 PM by PirateNation.)
12-16-2010 10:12 PM
Advertisement

Smokin Pirate Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
No Bull, glad you weren't really talking smack. It says a lot for the ECU fan base. Just look as to why Maryland dropped to #8 in the pecking order. Fans weren't showing up and bowls were afraid.

Look at the article about UCONN and how much it will cost them for BCS game if they don't start selling tickets.
12-17-2010 11:16 AM
get.the.fork Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tulane & Saints
What is bad about this whole thread is that C-USA fans are over here whoring themselves to a dying conference.
12-17-2010 11:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.