Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Even great shooters get shut out!
Bookmark and Share
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Even great shooters get shut out!
Rotnei Clarke got shut down by Mississippi Valley State last night. 0-6 from the floor, 0-3 from 3 point line. You would think he'd have a field day against a team like this. But his team won handily when he scored nada! I wonder what his + or - was for the game. My guess it might have been pretty good, even though he didn't score a point. If the other guys were doing well while he was in the game, according to this system, he looks great. But I doubt they keep that stat. Never heard of it before Jeff starting using it for us. He borrowed the idea from professional hockey as I recall. Personally I think it's a pucked up idea.04-cheers
12-16-2010 10:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
RE: Even great shooters get shut out!
I would love to learn how MVS handled that FT defense.
12-16-2010 10:44 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2010 10:44 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  I would love to learn how MVS handled that FT defense.

I wonder how much time we spend working on free throw defense?04-cheers
12-16-2010 10:53 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

Maybe you get everyone to squat simultaneously just before the shooter releases the ball. (Just kidding, naturally.)
12-16-2010 12:02 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2010 10:35 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  Rotnei Clarke got shut down by Mississippi Valley State last night. 0-6 from the floor, 0-3 from 3 point line. You would think he'd have a field day against a team like this. But his team won handily when he scored nada! I wonder what his + or - was for the game. My guess it might have been pretty good, even though he didn't score a point. If the other guys were doing well while he was in the game, according to this system, he looks great. But I doubt they keep that stat. Never heard of it before Jeff starting using it for us. He borrowed the idea from professional hockey as I recall. Personally I think it's a pucked up idea.04-cheers

Provided in all the NBA box scores on Yahoo. Somebody must believe it means something. No idea what Clark's is- but if its below the team average it just means he hurts the team more than he helps when he is on the floor.
12-16-2010 12:49 PM
Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
So, Courtney is a detriment..? Never saw that coming.
12-16-2010 12:53 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2010 12:53 PM)Scotto Wrote:  So, Courtney is a detriment..? Never saw that coming.

If that's what the numbers say. You have a better method?
12-16-2010 12:58 PM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

There are other factors, of course, such as the combination of other players that you typically get used with. However, over the course of a season, I suppose it has some significance.
12-16-2010 01:02 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2010 01:02 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  There are other factors, of course, such as the combination of other players that you typically get used with. However, over the course of a season, I suppose it has some significance.

Here's an explanation:

The AutoTrader.com +/- stat shows the power of teamwork. It's a way of showing the best-engineered/best combination of players on the court. The +/- stat is a statistic that looks at the point differential when players are both in and out of the game, to see how the team performs with various combinations. The +/- stat can look at a variety of combinations including the best two player, three player and even five player combinations for each game.

Who was number 1- No surprise there- Derek Fisher and the other Laker starters.
12-16-2010 01:04 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2010 12:49 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(12-16-2010 10:35 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  Rotnei Clarke got shut down by Mississippi Valley State last night. 0-6 from the floor, 0-3 from 3 point line. You would think he'd have a field day against a team like this. But his team won handily when he scored nada! I wonder what his + or - was for the game. My guess it might have been pretty good, even though he didn't score a point. If the other guys were doing well while he was in the game, according to this system, he looks great. But I doubt they keep that stat. Never heard of it before Jeff starting using it for us. He borrowed the idea from professional hockey as I recall. Personally I think it's a pucked up idea.04-cheers

Provided in all the NBA box scores on Yahoo. Somebody must believe it means something. No idea what Clark's is- but if its below the team average it just means he hurts the team more than he helps when he is on the floor.

Probably one reason I have no interest in the NBA. Except when Fish is playing. If Shane Edwards makes a roster and plays, I'll watch him. And when Matt is playing in the NBA, I'll never miss a game. You probably saw that coming, didn't you!04-cheers
12-16-2010 01:07 PM
Advertisement

Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
(12-16-2010 12:58 PM)mjs Wrote:  If that's what the numbers say. You have a better method?

Kind of. My method consists of watching the games. I don't need numbers to tell me that Mr Jackson is not a detriment to the team.
12-16-2010 02:01 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2010 02:01 PM)Scotto Wrote:  
(12-16-2010 12:58 PM)mjs Wrote:  If that's what the numbers say. You have a better method?

Kind of. My method consists of watching the games. I don't need numbers to tell me that Mr Jackson is not a detriment to the team.

I like it when Courtney and Kibi are in the lineup at the same time. Then give me Matt, Chucky or Tramar and D'Andre and you have a pretty balanced lineup. Of course if you're playing a team with exceptional height on the inside and they are trying to force the ball into them, it causes some problems, but I think this would give you our best combination of ball distribution, defense, three point shooting and rebounding. I'll take my chances on +'s and -'s with that combo.

I know some will disagree and wonder why I wouldn't have Solo in that first group. Or Alex. First of all, IMO, Solo and Chucky give you basically the same thing. They both try and get to the basket and take a lot of wild shots. Neither is a great 3 point shooter. Yes, on some nights, their stats are pretty fair right now, especially Chucky, they've made some, but at the end of the day they're not pure shooters as is Matt.

Sometimes they draw fouls, but in games where the refs let the guys play,and they drive in throwing up those wild shots hoping to get fouls shots and they don't call those fouls, it's just turnovers. I believe more players get involved in the offense without Solo in the lineup. He tends to try and do everything by himself, and that's probably never going to change, while Chucky, being younger, still has time to be molded into more of a team oriented player.04-cheers
12-16-2010 02:28 PM
eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
Another bad thing about Chucky and Solo is that their great play takes attention away from Matt. 02-13-banana
12-16-2010 07:40 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2010 07:40 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  Another bad thing about Chucky and Solo is that their great play takes attention away from Matt. 02-13-banana

If Chucky and Solo play great and we win, I have no problem. Let's hope they do that tonight. Solo got off to a great start, but we all cooled off early. At least we're in the game at halftime. We usually play better in the second half.04-cheers
12-16-2010 08:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.