Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent State vs. South Florida
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Kent State vs. South Florida
Looking at USF's schedule and results, nothing jumps out to say that Kent State can't compete with and beat this Big East opponent. But, the Bulls have had over a week off while the Golden Flashes had a pretty hectic travel week. Looking a bit closer at South Florida's roster and stats:

The scoring leaders are 6'10 245 pound junior forward Augustus Gilchrist and 6'4 guard Jawanza Poland, both averaging just over 10 points per game. After that, it evens out pretty well among the guys that play regular minutes. Gilchrist and 6'8 255 pound junior Ron Anderson lead the team in rebounds.

Along with Anderson and Gilcrhist, USF has two other post players with experience in 6'11 240 pound senior Jarrid Famous and 6'8 230 pound sophomore Toarlyn Fitzpatrick. So, just like in the last two games Kent's bigs will be challenged by plenty of size and experience.

In the backcourt, USF seems to be shuffling their lineup a bit and maybe it is because of inexperience. Poland was a redshirt last season. 6'6 guard Hugh Robertson is also pretty green, having played at a CC in Florida before gaining eligibility this season. The point guard seems to be 6'1 junior Anthony Crater (an Ohio State transfer) . Another big guard that sees minutes is 6'6 sophomore Mike Burwell who has started four of the nine games so far.

What strikes me is USF's size. They have some long guards and some big bodies in the post. So, did a week of playing against big, physical opponents toughen the Flashes up a bit? Is Justin Manns going to settle into his role and start getting after it? Is Nealy the defensive beast we read about this summer? Will Kent be able to hit the outside shot to keep the pressure off of Greene?

I'll stick to predicting Kent coming out of this brutal stretch at 1-2 and this being a key game for the confidence of the team. Kent wins by 11 on the parque! on national TV! Lets hope the snow doesn't keep us from being there. GO FLASHES
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2010 02:54 PM by fallsdog.)
12-11-2010 02:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JSF Offline
Rich, Good Looking, Has a Rapist Wit

I Root For: World Peace
RE: Kent State vs. South Florida
This is my Red Line Upset pick of the week. Get it done!
12-11-2010 04:27 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
The game is one of ESPN's Streak for the Cash games today. Currently, people are picking KSU to win at a 97% rate/ Wha...???
12-12-2010 08:53 AM
Flash FreaK 81 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: KSU
(12-12-2010 08:53 AM)axeme Wrote:  The game is one of ESPN's Streak for the Cash games today. Currently, people are picking KSU to win at a 97% rate/ Wha...???

We all know KSU is a work in progress and we expect them to play a lot better in Feb than in Nov/Dec. With that said, IMO, to move forward and stay on track, KSU really needs to step up and win this one. Offensively, I think they need to show some maturity/patience (no 3's or long 2's from Porrini and no quick trigger from Holt). On D, I hope to see toughness on the boards and see the bigs properly rotating & getting into position. I'd also like to see Nealy get it going and Henninger get 8-10 minutes (in place of Leonard). Quite a wish list!
12-12-2010 09:33 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Two very nice articles in the RC today about the game and Stan Heath.
12-12-2010 09:37 AM
fallsdog Offline
All American

Flash FreaK-

I think your wish list is right on. This game is a major measuring stick, in my opinion. I think the first thing that a win in this game does for Kent is springboard the players confidence in themselves, the team and the coaching staff. Plus, it makes coming back to practice a bit more fun after winning against a "major" on your home floor. Second, it serves notice to the conference that Kent State is once again among the elite. Last, and maybe least, just in case Kent gets really hot and is able to get that win total up near 22, 23 wins, this gives them a resume game, even if USF is a sub .500 Big East Team.

All that said, I don't think a loss sinks Kent in any way....but a win in this one would go a loooong way with this young team.

As for the players, I think maybe we would have seen Henninger by now if the coaches felt he could contribute. I don't know.
GO FLASHES!
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2010 10:30 AM by fallsdog.)
12-12-2010 10:29 AM
Advertisement

rockets24 Offline
2nd String

What happened to Greene!?
12-12-2010 06:34 PM
rockets24 Offline
2nd String

Spoke too quickly.
12-12-2010 06:39 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
Yikes. This is ugly.
12-12-2010 06:48 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
This is as ugly as it gets. This reminds me of a few Miami games where neither team could score. Make some frickin adjustments and find something that will work. Need to grind this out and find a way to get the win.
12-12-2010 07:45 PM
bopol Online
All American

I Root For:
(12-12-2010 07:45 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  This is as ugly as it gets. This reminds me of a few Miami games where neither team could score. Make some frickin adjustments and find something that will work. Need to grind this out and find a way to get the win.

First to 40 wins?
12-12-2010 07:59 PM
Advertisement

barndog Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(12-12-2010 07:59 PM)bopol Wrote:  
(12-12-2010 07:45 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  This is as ugly as it gets. This reminds me of a few Miami games where neither team could score. Make some frickin adjustments and find something that will work. Need to grind this out and find a way to get the win.

First to 40 wins?

Assuming one of them gets to 40.
12-12-2010 08:06 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
I am told this is only the second Big East team to play at Kent since 1979. I am happy that this time we are victorious!
12-13-2010 02:28 AM
jammer Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Kent
Nice to get a win over an old coach and a Big East team!
12-13-2010 02:38 AM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
This is definately the most bi-polar basketball team I ever saw. Whatever happens in the first half, expect the opposite in the second.
12-13-2010 05:55 AM
fallsdog Offline
All American

It may have been ugly, but Kent showed some toughness down the stretch. At one point I got a "sarcastic" text from another fan who said...is that Porrini or Singletary?

Love the toughness!
12-13-2010 06:24 AM
Advertisement

Flash FreaK 81 Offline
2nd String

(12-13-2010 02:28 AM)Sultan of Euphonistan Wrote:  I am told this is only the second Big East team to play at Kent since 1979. I am happy that this time we are victorious!

KSU played (and beat) Rutgers at home in the 1st round of the 2000 NIT. That win helped Gary Waters get the Rutgers job at that end of the 2001 season.
12-13-2010 06:59 AM
Flash FreaK 81 Offline
2nd String

KSU rebounded with much more determination on both ends. Porrini and Rod helped a lot in that area. Greene had 15 boards. If they can get one other big to rebound and defend this team will be very tough to beat. Johnson still looks lost. Slow afoot and at this point, a big brick tosser.

Trend that's very concerning is the poor bench contribution. Greene, Porrini, Guyton and Rod all pllayed 30+ minutes (Greene played 37). Cant keep that up long. Six total points & 8 rebounds from the bench won't cut it either. I hope Nealy gets healthy quick!
12-13-2010 07:10 AM
Kentville Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
USF was without their two big men, one due to illness, the other had personal issues. I doubt Kent would have won if they had played. Kent is sloppy and careless much of the time, and their outside shooting is horrendous. There's some talent there, but every game is going to be a struggle.
12-13-2010 09:21 AM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I have now seen enough of this team to make a determination that they will at times look like the worst team we have had in the last 13 years and at times will look talent wise to be the best we've ever had. They play ugly but very gritty. If they continue to battle and give that kind of effort every night and let themselves be coachable i think we'll compete for the MAC title.

The 4 spot is a black hole. Manns other than being 6'11 and being able to run pretty good is pretty much not worth much IMO. I would like to see henninger get more time. He runs the floor real well, came from great high school program so i know he's knows the fundamentals. What he'd give up athletically he make up for in smarts.
12-13-2010 09:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.